Buying a used 2005 F250 - Have the known issues been addressed? - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 32 Old 06-21-2019, 02:29 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First of all coming here to ask questions and do research is smart. Welcome by the way.

It was hard for me to see studs or bolts. What I did notice were the aftermarket cap on degas tank, aftermarket oil filter, coolant filter, and the degas tank. Like @bismic stated, itís overfilled, but the top is clean. Too clean considering itís not a newer tank and has an aftermarket cap. Cap being replaced-I would assume it was puking coolant at one point in its life, so I would expect to see some residue. If the price is right buy it. When looking for mine I expected to pay 12-15k for a studded truck that to me needed some interior work. I ended up buying a non studded truck with an immaculate interior, and had the work done for a little less that what I will term a turn key 6.0. Try to drive it and monitor your deltas so you have an idea of what you may or may not have to deal with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 Old 06-21-2019, 04:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
As stated looks like G05 is currently in still. I'd get an OEM coolant cap on it as well. Looks to be a Stant. Have you asked if it is studded or not? Seems like the current owner would know if it is or not lol.
post #13 of 32 Old 06-21-2019, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks guys! Jman37, great question. I forgot to add that this truck is being sold on a used car lot for $14,500. The guy that owns the lot told me he picked it up from auction a couple weeks ago so he really has no clue what has or hasn't been done to this truck. Here's a quick walk-around the truck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 32 Old 06-21-2019, 05:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Based on the pictures it looks like no bulletproofing has been done. The coolant cap isn’t the updated one, another thing I’d definitely change ASAP if you buy. Oil filter cap is wrong as stated, and ford gold coolant isn’t ideal. Easy to check if it has the blue spring kit as well, just take the side piece off the fuel bowl and look if the regulator spring is blue or silver. Trucks with only performance and cosmetic mods concern me as you know it’s probably been driven hard
post #15 of 32 Old 06-21-2019, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Also, I noticed under the hood there's an "AFE" sticker. It looks like AFE sells cold air intakes, filters, and performance chips. Based on the photos I saw on the AFE site I didn't see any aftermarket knobs or dials inside the truck that resemble anything on the AFE site. I also noticed a few cut wires under the hood on the drivers side(see pics). Is it possible those wires were connected to a chip of some sort? Or are those wires supposed to be sitting there, cut? Any concerns here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190620_184359.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	720163   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190620_184328.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	2.80 MB
ID:	720165  
post #16 of 32 Old 06-21-2019, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Garage
That's an afe intake. Those "cut" wires are for the factory auxiliary switches. Looks like they've never been hooked up. That's normal. If you're serious about the truck, find a local diesel shop and have them do a quick look over.
post #17 of 32 Old 06-21-2019, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjccox98 View Post
Based on the pictures it looks like no bulletproofing has been done. The coolant cap isn’t the updated one, another thing I’d definitely change ASAP if you buy. Oil filter cap is wrong as stated, and ford gold coolant isn’t ideal. Easy to check if it has the blue spring kit as well, just take the side piece off the fuel bowl and look if the regulator spring is blue or silver. Trucks with only performance and cosmetic mods concern me as you know it’s probably been driven hard
Thanks CJ. Yeah, I'm looking at a few other trucks similar to this one that are stock. No lifts, rims, mods, etc but this one caught my as it looks nice/fun but I have the same concerns as you...it may have been driven hard. My main reason for posting here is because my heart may be getting in the way of my brain even considering this truck. Sure she looks good...but what baggage is hiding behind those good looks? Why multiple owners? Why is nobody committing to her?

By the way, I'm not looking for a daily driver. I have a couple cars for that. I may use a truck like this once or twice a week at most and very short distances. However I will take a couple 1200 mile trips per year towing a 8500# load with anticipation of picking up a 10000# + trailer in the near future
post #18 of 32 Old 06-21-2019, 05:47 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
It's hard to tell from the picture, but the 'cut' wires appear to be the factory upfitter wires which generally aren't connected to anything.

2007 F-350 4X4 CCSB, 6.0 PSD, ZF6 Manual Trans, 3.73s, EGR and Cat improvement, Edge CTS2 with EGT and Fuel, SCT X4, PHP FICM Programmer, Sinister Adjustable Fuel Press. Cover, Ficmrepair.com batt/alt wiring upgrade, Bosch 140 amp alternator with overdrive pulley, Rotella ELC, High-Idle mod, Mishimoto coolant filter, 6.4 starter, Genex mirror w/temp and compass, Magnum RT steps, Leer 100R Shell, Custom front bumper replacement, Steelcraft Elevation rear bumper, B&W turnover ball, 4" Cat Back exhaust, JVC head unit with backup camera, '08+ towing mirrors and rear diff. cover, etc.
post #19 of 32 Old 06-21-2019, 05:57 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,056 Times in 985 Posts
Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2525 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTekGuy View Post
Also, I noticed under the hood there's an "AFE" sticker. It looks like AFE sells cold air intakes, filters, and performance chips. Based on the photos I saw on the AFE site I didn't see any aftermarket knobs or dials inside the truck that resemble anything on the AFE site. I also noticed a few cut wires under the hood on the drivers side(see pics). Is it possible those wires were connected to a chip of some sort? Or are those wires supposed to be sitting there, cut? Any concerns here?
Those are the pass thru wires from the factory. You can find the other ends under the dash inside the truck. They can be used for any number of things without having to run new wires through the firewall.

Pros:
* It looks as if someone replaced the plastic cold side pipe with a earlier model metal one.
* 08+ tailgate and mirrors
* good looking truck
* clean engine bay (could have been pressure washed though)

Cons:
What the guys above me said.
* Gold Coolant
* non-OEM oil filter cap
* non-OEM coolant cap
* air filter looks pretty nasty
* I think $14,500 is a little high for a 14 year old 180k mile truck, but the 6.0's are holding their value pretty well right now with the costs of newer models.

IMO, factory bolts is not necessarily a bad thing. Just because studs are there doesn't mean the job was done correctly.
I'd go buy a 30 psi pressure gauge, a tee and some hose and get the dealer to let me tee that into the small line at the top of the degas bottle. Drive it around enough to get it up to temp, release the pressure from the degas bottle, then drive it around for another 20 minutes or so giving it a few spirited runs and see what the pressure gets to. While doing that, you should have a monitor of some kind plugged into the OBDII port to check the FICM voltages and coolant to oil temperature deltas.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SPD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #20 of 32 Old 06-21-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thx G8or. I received my OBDII port reader, app downloaded, and I'm ready for a test drive tomorrow. Thanks again and have a great night!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode