1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-19-2019, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Air Bags for rear suspension.

Is there a "BEST" air bag system. Is Air Lift worth the money? I have a 2007 F-250 and tow a Attitude 23ft. toy hauler and would like to add air bags to the rear suspension Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-20-2019, 04:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have the airlift 5000 bags. No compressor or other stuff. I just air the up before I hook up the trailer. Very happy with them. Easy to install.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-20-2019, 04:25 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've used airbags on probably 5 or 6 trucks over the years, both Air Lift and Firestone. I've had Timbrens on 2 vehicles now, including my F-350, and think they are fantastic. I won't be going back to air bags any time soon.

2007 F-350 4X4 CCSB, 6.0 PSD, ZF6 Manual Trans, 3.73s, EGR and Cat improvement, Edge CTS2 with EGT and Fuel, SCT X4, PHP FICM Programmer, Sinister Adjustable Fuel Press. Cover, Ficmrepair.com batt/alt wiring upgrade, Bosch 140 amp alternator with overdrive pulley, Rotella ELC, High-Idle mod, Mishimoto coolant filter, 6.4 starter, Genex mirror w/temp and compass, Magnum RT steps, Leer 100R Shell, Custom front bumper replacement, Steelcraft Elevation rear bumper, B&W turnover ball, 4" Cat Back exhaust, JVC head unit with backup camera, '08+ towing mirrors and rear diff. cover, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-20-2019, 12:55 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
I have airlift airbags. They help to level the load, but honestly, when I forget to inflate, I notice no change in the ride quality. Timbrens are a cheaper option, and supposed to be easier to install, but I think timbren carries the adjustable lead stabilizers anymore. I think they sold it to a Torklift because they make a stableoad that looks just like the timbrens, but I can't find timbrens manufactured anywhere. Although the airlift 5000 LBS air bags were "simple" to install, I spent quite a bit more time putting them on then the recommended installation time.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good 6.0 Reading:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ChrisSki; 06-20-2019 at 01:37 PM.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-20-2019, 02:37 PM

Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,744 Posts
Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
I have both Timbrens and air lift bags ( just upgraded to the 7500 lbs bags

the heavy duty F350 Timbrens couldn't handle the load and I spit one out so thy sent me a set for a much bigger truck ( Timbren company is super to deal with as is Airlift )

the Timbrens would be ok for a light load IMO say 3000 lbs or under then you could set up with a gap between unloaded and the contact when loaded so they would be virtually out of the picture until you tow or hit a big bump

I have my Timbrens on a hitch pin setup and can drop them 2 " when unloaded and this allows me to actually preload them when i put a load in the bed

as far as the airbags they are a must for me

6.0 flush pdf
post #6 of 13 Old 06-20-2019, 06:30 PM

Yeah, super heavy weight is a different ball game. The pin weight on my 5th wheel is around 1800 lbs and the Timbrens work very well, as they do with a ton of wood pellets in the bed. I like that I can tow the camper to hunting camp and not have to mess with air bag pressure while there (or suffer the ride).

2007 F-350 4X4 CCSB, 6.0 PSD, ZF6 Manual Trans, 3.73s, EGR and Cat improvement, Edge CTS2 with EGT and Fuel, SCT X4, PHP FICM Programmer, Sinister Adjustable Fuel Press. Cover, Ficmrepair.com batt/alt wiring upgrade, Bosch 140 amp alternator with overdrive pulley, Rotella ELC, High-Idle mod, Mishimoto coolant filter, 6.4 starter, Genex mirror w/temp and compass, Magnum RT steps, Leer 100R Shell, Custom front bumper replacement, Steelcraft Elevation rear bumper, B&W turnover ball, 4" Cat Back exhaust, JVC head unit with backup camera, '08+ towing mirrors and rear diff. cover, etc.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-20-2019, 07:41 PM

how much room did you leave between the timbrens before it contacts your suspension ?

6.0 flush pdf
post #8 of 13 Old 06-21-2019, 06:06 AM

I'll need to check next time I get out there. I seem to remember about 1.5 - 2". Even with the 5th wheel attached, they don't seem to be compressed very much, but I can definitely tell they're working.

post #9 of 13 Old 06-21-2019, 09:21 AM

IIRC they had different set heights for either in contact at rest unloaded or for a better ride empty they have you leave like 1/2 inch

i actually lift my truck by maxing out the airbags and then put the pins in my mounts so that when i let some air off the bags the timbrens are preloaded

Timbrens sway a lot less than air bags ( only noticeable with top heavy bed loads )

6.0 flush pdf
post #10 of 13 Old 06-21-2019, 10:47 AM

I went and eye-balled them and it looks like about 3/4 to 1". I think I remember they came with spacer plates if you wanted constant contact but I decided not to install them.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sock Puppet For This Useful Post:
ZMANN (06-21-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode