Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/)
-   General 6.0L Discussion (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/)
-   -   Air Bags for rear suspension. (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/1365005-air-bags-rear-suspension.html)

Foessc 06-19-2019 10:51 PM

Air Bags for rear suspension.

Is there a "BEST" air bag system. Is Air Lift worth the money? I have a 2007 F-250 and tow a Attitude 23ft. toy hauler and would like to add air bags to the rear suspension Any help would be appreciated.

rowcoach 06-20-2019 04:04 AM

I have the airlift 5000 bags. No compressor or other stuff. I just air the up before I hook up the trailer. Very happy with them. Easy to install.

Sock Puppet 06-20-2019 04:25 AM

I've used airbags on probably 5 or 6 trucks over the years, both Air Lift and Firestone. I've had Timbrens on 2 vehicles now, including my F-350, and think they are fantastic. I won't be going back to air bags any time soon.

ChrisSki 06-20-2019 12:55 PM

I have airlift airbags. They help to level the load, but honestly, when I forget to inflate, I notice no change in the ride quality. Timbrens are a cheaper option, and supposed to be easier to install, but I think timbren carries the adjustable lead stabilizers anymore. I think they sold it to a Torklift because they make a stableoad that looks just like the timbrens, but I can't find timbrens manufactured anywhere. Although the airlift 5000 LBS air bags were "simple" to install, I spent quite a bit more time putting them on then the recommended installation time.

ZMANN 06-20-2019 02:37 PM

I have both Timbrens and air lift bags ( just upgraded to the 7500 lbs bags

the heavy duty F350 Timbrens couldn't handle the load and I spit one out so thy sent me a set for a much bigger truck ( Timbren company is super to deal with as is Airlift )

the Timbrens would be ok for a light load IMO say 3000 lbs or under then you could set up with a gap between unloaded and the contact when loaded so they would be virtually out of the picture until you tow or hit a big bump

I have my Timbrens on a hitch pin setup and can drop them 2 " when unloaded and this allows me to actually preload them when i put a load in the bed

as far as the airbags they are a must for me

Sock Puppet 06-20-2019 06:30 PM

Yeah, super heavy weight is a different ball game. The pin weight on my 5th wheel is around 1800 lbs and the Timbrens work very well, as they do with a ton of wood pellets in the bed. I like that I can tow the camper to hunting camp and not have to mess with air bag pressure while there (or suffer the ride).

ZMANN 06-20-2019 07:41 PM

how much room did you leave between the timbrens before it contacts your suspension ?

Sock Puppet 06-21-2019 06:06 AM

I'll need to check next time I get out there. I seem to remember about 1.5 - 2". Even with the 5th wheel attached, they don't seem to be compressed very much, but I can definitely tell they're working.

ZMANN 06-21-2019 09:21 AM

IIRC they had different set heights for either in contact at rest unloaded or for a better ride empty they have you leave like 1/2 inch

i actually lift my truck by maxing out the airbags and then put the pins in my mounts so that when i let some air off the bags the timbrens are preloaded

Timbrens sway a lot less than air bags ( only noticeable with top heavy bed loads )

Sock Puppet 06-21-2019 10:47 AM

I went and eye-balled them and it looks like about 3/4 to 1". I think I remember they came with spacer plates if you wanted constant contact but I decided not to install them.