85Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 120 Old 06-12-2019, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Head studs or not?

I picked up a 05 F350 4x4 with crew cab the whole nine yards. It has singles it's lifted and is a decent looking truck for the most part. I bought it cheap because it has blown head gasket. I'm tearing it down in cab, I should be pulling the heads tomorrow as everything is done up to that point..

(fyi I watched a lot of youtube vids on doing this in cab and I never saw anyone say to pull the inner fenders. I pulled mine and it makes this job a lot easier)

Anyway the truck has about 230k. The motor ran and sounded great before I took it apart, the heads are very clean inside so far so they obviously changed the oil routinely.

I'm curious what the opinion is on if I should bother spending the $400+ on head studs for a 200k+ motor or should I just put bolts back in? I do not intend to replace the heads assuming they aren't severely cracked.

I don't really want to spend $3-4k on a 200k+ motor. If I was going to spend that much I'd probably do a cummins swap to be honest. I'm not trying to cheap out and I'm not on a strict budget but I'm also not going to sink needless money into it because someone said oh you have to replace XYZ on everything always...

My intended use of the truck is for right now to be my daily driver, but there is a possibility I may use the truck later on to do some hotshot work. I used to drive semis and I'm planning to set up my own authority and run a hot shot truck. More than likely I would upgrade to a duelly once I did that so I'm not really building this truck with the intention of using it full time towing but it does have the potential to be used for that at some point.

edit.. for the record it's been deleted already and has 4" straight pipe. Possibly has had the turbo upgraded as well. I also have a 06 6.0 in a van and this truck even with the blown head gasket has a lot more power than the van.

Should I head stud it or not?

edit... one other question.. My starter needs replaced. I've seen people say they have 6.4 starters on their 6.0's. Is there a good reason for upgrading to that?

Last edited by DAV!D; 06-12-2019 at 05:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 120 Old 06-12-2019, 05:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I would stud it. How much is your time worth ? I would rather do the job once and be done. If you run it bone stock it may be fine on the POS TTY bolts if you run a programmer or flog on it, best of luck. To me a few hundred dollars to not have to dig in to the damn thing again is money well spent, that being said studs do not fix all the shortcomings.

If it were me on the starter I would get the 6.4 it spins faster. If you buy a reman unit it may be a 6.0 core that someone turned in when they bought a 6.4 starter so you may be getting a rebuilt 6.0 unit thinking it is a 6.4 unit. Due to this I would buy new.
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry Grogan For This Useful Post:
DAV!D (06-12-2019)
post #3 of 120 Old 06-12-2019, 05:46 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,056 Times in 985 Posts
Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2524 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You likely would not do a Cummins swap for anywhere near $3-4k, unless already a a donor, so that comparison doesn't really fly. IMO, since you aren't on a tight budget, I'd definitely do the studs. 230k isn't that much on a well maintained 6.0. The bottom end is pretty stout. You'll likely still see crosshatching in the cylinders when you get the heads off. Your call though.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SPD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G8orFord For This Useful Post:
DAV!D (06-12-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 120 Old 06-12-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
You likely would not do a Cummins swap for anywhere near $3-4k, unless already a a donor, so that comparison doesn't really fly. IMO, since you aren't on a tight budget, I'd definitely do the studs. 230k isn't that much on a well maintained 6.0. The bottom end is pretty stout. You'll likely still see crosshatching in the cylinders when you get the heads off. Your call though.
I wasn't saying I would do a cummins swap for $3-4k but if I was spending that much on a 200k+ motor I'd do a swap instead. I have however swapped other motors that people say you can't do it for less than blahh..blahh blahhh and I've always done it very cheap..

There is no real reason you can't swap a Cummins for $4k btw.. The reason people spend $5k+ is because they buy all the aftermarket make everything easy kits. You build your own ****, keep it stock and costs are dramatically reduced.
post #5 of 120 Old 06-13-2019, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,111 Times in 2,018 Posts
Mentioned: 428 Post(s)
Quoted: 3119 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Im not sure if you are here for companionship or just to tell us how good you are at building cheap stuff.

GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heavy_GD For This Useful Post:
joe blow (06-13-2019)
post #6 of 120 Old 06-13-2019, 05:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Garage
I want to know where he's finding a Cummins for 4k since that's what he said it would take. Most clowns charge that for a 300k beat 12v.
Heavy_GD likes this.
post #7 of 120 Old 06-13-2019, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_GD View Post
Im not sure if you are here for companionship or just to tell us how good you are at building cheap stuff.

SMH.....I thought the same thing
Heavy_GD likes this.
post #8 of 120 Old 06-13-2019, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Garage
I mean, built cheaply and diesel don't go good together. Ford learned that when they put in bolts and not studs, and here you are asking if you should put bolts back in?
post #9 of 120 Old 06-13-2019, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,111 Times in 2,018 Posts
Mentioned: 428 Post(s)
Quoted: 3119 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
We've also learned that when that cheap chit breaks, they come back here.
joe blow and jman37 like this.

GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
post #10 of 120 Old 06-13-2019, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
OP....stud it unless you love tearing into this truck repeatedly or you like taking stupid chances and love rework.
The 6.4 starter is a good option and spins the engine much faster, I did a reman from O'reillys and it has been flawless for a while now.

Going cheap will eventually bite you....I have found out the hard way with past projects.

If I had to do it all over again, the only thing I would change on mine is I would have replaced the HPOP with a dieselsite model when I had the engine on a stand.

The only saving grace is mine only had 100k on it and the advice given to me here was enough to let it ride for another 100k.

Last edited by joe blow; 06-13-2019 at 09:46 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to joe blow For This Useful Post:
DAV!D (06-13-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode