LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #111 of 120 Old 07-11-2019, 06:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV!D View Post
Yea seems it was installer error.. I took it back out and played with it a bit until it went in properly. Head is now bolted together ready to install. I think it's because I started from one end and worked my way around which was the mistake.

as for the injector gasket.. when I go to the website it says that's not right one for my truck..

https://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...kit-3c3z9229aa

It says "This part does not fit your 2005 Ford F-350 Super Duty" The header says that's the kit for the 08-2010 will the 6.4 kit work on the 6.0?
Mahle also sells the reseal kit. That's what I used. Remember you need to replace the crush washers at the tip of the injectors as well.

If you have stiction symptoms and a couple of hours I'd recommend this procedure. My truck feels noticeably smoother. I changed so much **** so anything might be the reason, I personally believe this procedure is what made the difference though. One point he doesn't mention is that you need to reset the nut back into the shaft, on the flat extension use cutting pliers to press the nut extension against the bolt so it doesn't back-up later. Do one by one and copy the amount of bolt left after tightening from another injector. The torque isn't important but the bolts are so tiny you could easily break one by stretching it too much.

The Following User Says Thank You to GusCO For This Useful Post:
DAV!D (07-12-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 120 Old 07-15-2019, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 771 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Yea seems it was installer error.. I took it back out and played with it a bit until it went in properly. Head is now bolted together ready to install. I think it's because I started from one end and worked my way around which was the mistake.

as for the injector gasket.. when I go to the website it says that's not right one for my truck..

https://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...kit-3c3z9229aa

It says "This part does not fit your 2005 Ford F-350 Super Duty" The header says that's the kit for the 08-2010 will the 6.4 kit work on the 6.0?

We unfortunately get that often. The online catalog is hosted by a third party, and their VIN filtering does not seem to jive well with updated part numbers. We do have many of these in our "Powerstroke" section, but the hosting company has had glitches with that as well lately.

BTW, thanks for the business!
SparkyF250 likes this.

We are Autonation Ford of White Bear Lake selling all OEM Ford parts at employee prices (formerly Tousley)

Call us at 1-800-328-9552 (be sure to mention this website when calling)
OR check out our website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'll meet or or beat any price on OEM parts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #113 of 120 Old 07-22-2019, 07:10 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 3348 Post(s)
Garage
Update? Up and running yet?

Sparky

2005 F250 CCSB KR 4x4 6.0 4" Flo-Pro,
Fox 2.0s, Toyo ATs, CTS2 Pro, Blue Spring, BPD 7.3 Fan Clutch, IPR Coolant Filter

2000 F350 SCLB Dually 4x4, 7.3 6 Speed Hydra, CTS2, S&B Air, 4'' SS Diamond Eye

2005 Explorer XLT 4x4 Mountaineer,
Toyo ATs, Wife's grocery getter

1993 F150 4x4, 302 5 speed, winter truck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #114 of 120 Old 07-28-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyF250 View Post
Update? Up and running yet?
Oh hey.. no I got side tracked a bit fixing my other 6.0 in my van which I've been daily driving and making excuses because it's hot out side in FL.. I also ran down to Ft Myers to pick up a Duramax engine for his 02 3500.

It's now close though.. Both heads are on it and everything is installed. I still have the high pressure oil pump cover off to reseal and I just took the oil cooler set up out of the truck today. I have to watch some vids on how to take all that apart and put it back together..

Anyway the hard part is now done, probably 2 or 3 more days of me working on it and it should be wrapped up. I added a picture of it's current status.. So as I say another 2 or 3 days of me piddling with it.. lol

edit for the record, for those doing this job in cab.. removing the drivers side motor mount is the way to go.. I had zero issues doing that, I was able to lower the engine to get to everything on the passenger side and even raised it a bit higher to do stuff on the drivers side.. Also I removed the inner fenders because it really wasn't that hard and gives you easy access to some areas..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190728_172654.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	4.15 MB
ID:	721243  

Last edited by DAV!D; 07-28-2019 at 04:59 PM.
post #115 of 120 Old 07-28-2019, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Garage
Granted, I only flipped through the first half of the posts, but like has already been mentioned, you get what you pay for.

See signature quote.

People never have enough time/money to do the job right, but somehow they always find the time/money to do it twice

post #116 of 120 Old 07-29-2019, 09:04 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Oh hey.. no I got side tracked a bit fixing my other 6.0 in my van which I've been daily driving and making excuses because it's hot out side in FL.. I also ran down to Ft Myers to pick up a Duramax engine for his 02 3500.

It's now close though.. Both heads are on it and everything is installed. I still have the high pressure oil pump cover off to reseal and I just took the oil cooler set up out of the truck today. I have to watch some vids on how to take all that apart and put it back together..

Anyway the hard part is now done, probably 2 or 3 more days of me working on it and it should be wrapped up. I added a picture of it's current status.. So as I say another 2 or 3 days of me piddling with it.. lol

edit for the record, for those doing this job in cab.. removing the drivers side motor mount is the way to go.. I had zero issues doing that, I was able to lower the engine to get to everything on the passenger side and even raised it a bit higher to do stuff on the drivers side.. Also I removed the inner fenders because it really wasn't that hard and gives you easy access to some areas..
FWIW those blue paper towels leave a LOT of lint behind. Pick up a bag of cheap microfiber towels for final cleanup, especially in everything oil related like cooler sump and HPOP
bismic likes this.

Sparky

Fox 2.0s, Toyo ATs, CTS2 Pro, Blue Spring, BPD 7.3 Fan Clutch, IPR Coolant Filter

post #117 of 120 Old 08-07-2019, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It runs.. finally... lol

Took me quite a bit longer than I expected it to take but that was mostly due to waiting for parts and not wanting to work on it in 90 degree heat..

When I said it would be running a week or so back... I had it almost together and was trying to hook up the IPR wire to the sensor and it wouldn't go on.. so I look at the plug and realize the plug was broken inside. it was missing all the plastic around the prongs..

I ended up having to order a new plug and waited for that to show up. In the meantime I looked at everything I could think of to make sure it's all good. I get the plug wire it in and I'm putting the oil filter canister/fuel block on the intake when I realized the Oil Filter Housing Return Tube is broken at the top from someone trying to jam the wrong filter on it.. arrrggg how did I miss that?

So once again I had to order the part and wait... got it in yesterday put everything together, turn the key to prime the fuel and fuel is dumping all over the ground... ahhhhh

I check all the fuel lines they are good.. I'm for the life of me thinking WTF.. why is it leaking fuel out the back of the engine... It then dawned on me that the heads were reversible and I bet there was fuel plug on the back side of the heads. Yep.. confirmed I didn't put the plugs in the back of the heads.. I saw the plugs with my head gasket kit but had no idea what they were.

Well I found out the hard way what they were and let me tell you.. they are not easy to put on with the cab on the truck...

Anyway after that issue was solved and a bunch of turning the engine over it fired up and purrs like a kitten..

On plus side having never done any serious work on a diesel before, I learned a hell of a lot and I'm not so scared of these motors being some sort of voodoo magic.. I'm sure I could do the next one much, much faster now..
SparkyF250 and Sock Puppet like this.

Last edited by DAV!D; 08-07-2019 at 06:37 PM.
post #118 of 120 Old 08-07-2019, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Quote:
It runs.. finally... lol

Took me quite a bit longer than I expected it to take but that was mostly due to waiting for parts and not wanting to work on it in 90 degree heat..

When I said it would be running a week or so back... I had it almost together and was trying to hook up the IPR wire to the sensor and it would go on.. so I look at the plug and realize the plug was broken inside. it was missing all the plastic around the prongs..

I ended up having to order a new plug and waited for that to show up. In the meantime I looked at everything I could think of to make sure it's all good. I get the plug wire it in and I'm putting the oil filter canister/fuel block on the intake when I realized the Oil Filter Housing Return Tube is broken at the top from someone trying to jam the wrong filter on it.. arrrggg how did I miss that?

So once again I had to order the part and wait... got it in yesterday put everything together, turn the key to prime the fuel and fuel is dumping all over the ground... ahhhhh

I check all the fuel lines they are good.. I'm for the life of me thinking WTF.. why is it leaking fuel out the back of the engine... It then dawned on me that the heads were reversible and I bet there was fuel plug on the back side of the heads. Yep.. confirmed I didn't put the plugs in the back of the heads.. I saw the plugs with my head gasket kit but had no idea what they were.

Well I found out the hard way what they were and let me tell you.. they are not easy to put on with the cab on the truck...

Anyway after that issue was solved and a bunch of turning the engine over it fired up and purrs like a kitten..

On plus side having never worked on a diesel before I leaned a hell of a lot and I'm not so scared of these motors being some sort of voodoo magic..
Congrats!!!

An engine is just an engine, albeit with some quirks
The Following User Says Thank You to repalmer For This Useful Post:
DAV!D (08-07-2019)
post #119 of 120 Old 08-07-2019, 08:25 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Congrats!

Sparky

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SparkyF250 For This Useful Post:
DAV!D (08-08-2019)
post #120 of 120 Old 08-09-2019, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I registered the truck today and got some drive time in it.. (almost got law caught driving it around the block with no tags yesterday lol) Runs great so far no issues after about 30+ miles or so. Anyways wanted to say thanks to everyone for the help and drop off a picture of the truck all back together..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190809_140450.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	5.31 MB
ID:	721587  
SparkyF250 and letsmow10 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode