2005 TBC...no trailer brake power until over 10mph - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 Old 05-28-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation 2005 TBC...no trailer brake power until over 10mph

I've running the oem built in Trailer Brake Controller (TBC) in my 2005 F250 with the 6.0 in it. 95% of the time, the TBC works great. It's nice and smooth with applying the brakes in my camper, boat, or utility trailers...and seems to have plenty of power.

BUT......any time I'm going slower that around 10mph, even though it's showing that it's putting out power on the display, it doesn't put any power to the trailer brakes. Even if I manually squeeze the actuator lever all the way down, ZERO stopping power.

I read someone one one of the forums that this is normal for that year TBC's.....you need to get up to 10mph before it starts applying braking power. Is that true? If so, why in the hell would Ford design it like that? It's caught me off guard a few times going down steep hills at a slow speed, or rolling up to a stop light....you pretty down on the brakes, and the trailer just tried to push the truck. Talk about dangerous!!

Is there any fix for this besides putting in an aftermarket TBC? Any info on this would be great! I can't be the only one who hates this "feature" on the OEM TBC's.

Thanks for the info!

2005 F250 6.0 PSD, ARP Studs, Felpro HG's, EGR Delete, IPR Coolant Filter, Blue Spring Mod, IDP Custom Tunes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 05-28-2019, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
This is all I can find so far ..............

At very low speeds, including at rest, the Ford controller sends a proportionally smaller amount of output voltage (though not zero) to the trailer brakes to provide smoother stops. This low-speed adjustment is the reason manual activation of the Ford TBC cannot be used to verify the operation of the trailer brakes.

You might try the tests below:

Drive the towing vehicle and trailer at 15 mph (24 km), at the maximum gain setting (10.0 for Ford TBC) and manually activate the Ford TBC. If a large deceleration is felt (a "jerk") the trailer brakes are operating correctly.

If it is absolutely necessary to have a test initiated with the system at rest, set the controller gain to maximum (10.0 for the Ford TBC) and manually activate the controller with vehicle in PARK. Have an 'inspector" kneel beside the trailer axles and listen for the "hum" an electric trailer brake will produce when current is being sent. If the hum is present, the trailer brakes are operating and the Ford TBC is sending its speed-adjusted output.

Another suggestion for a test with the system at rest would be to disconnect the trailer wiring from vehicle. Using a wire with clip on one end and a needle on the other (rated for 30A), attach the clip end of the wire to the battery charge terminal in the vehicle connector attached to the bumper. This pin corresponds to the black wire, and when looking at the vehicle connector, is in essentially the "1 o'clock" position (or the first pin when traveling clockwise from the 12 o'clock position – refer to figure below). Then rest the trailer hookup connector so it won't move around easily and insert the needle end of the wire into the brake output pin on the trailer connector. This pin corresponds to the blue wire, and when looking at the trailer connector is in essentially the "7 o'clock" position (or, the 4th pin when traveling clockwise from the 12 o'clock position). This will essentially send 12V to the trailer to charge the trailer brakes, but will not cause any potential damage to the emergency breakaway system.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bismic; 05-28-2019 at 12:42 PM.
post #3 of 52 Old 05-28-2019, 12:27 PM

Also (FWIW):

The sliding lever on the TBC should be used only for manual activation of trailer brakes when adjusting the gain.

Misuse, such as application during trailer sway, could cause instability of trailer and/or tow vehicle.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 Old 05-29-2019, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

Yep....that's pretty much the same info I found.

I'm just wondering WHY Ford would set it up like that? If your hooked up to a 10,000lb trailer and you try slowing down on a hill and you are only going 10mph...you have NO TRAILER BRAKES!

Do the guys that tow heavy loads just deal with it, or replace the oem TBC?

2005 F250 6.0 PSD, ARP Studs, Felpro HG's, EGR Delete, IPR Coolant Filter, Blue Spring Mod, IDP Custom Tunes
post #5 of 52 Old 05-29-2019, 05:34 AM

What I posted doesn't exactly say "zero".

It said ......

At very low speeds, including at rest, the Ford controller sends a proportionally smaller amount of output voltage (though not zero) to the trailer brakes to provide smoother stops. This low-speed adjustment is the reason manual activation of the Ford TBC cannot be used to verify the operation of the trailer brakes.

I have never had a problem, but I don't tow heavy loads and have very few hills in the area.

The tow/haul feature in the transmission would be a help if you haven't already considered that.

Mark
No-start thread:

post #6 of 52 Old 05-29-2019, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

If it's applying power....it's not enough to do anything...maybe a volt or two. Yes, I use tow/haul mode.....but it does nothing when you are rolling down a steep hill at 5-10 mph. What's the point of having brakes on your trailer if they don't work below 15mph?? Even in an emergency, if you squeeze the lever to manually activate the brakes.....under 10-15mph....you get nothing (ok....maybe 1 volt). Horrible design for a TBC.

post #7 of 52 Old 05-29-2019, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,125 Times in 2,033 Posts
Mentioned: 432 Post(s)
Quoted: 3136 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
If you are hooked to a 10k trailer doing under 10mph downhill you have some serious edge case issues happening.

The cool part is that if you dont like the way this 20 year old TBC technology works you can install any one you would like.
bismic likes this.

GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
post #8 of 52 Old 05-29-2019, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Edge case issues?

I'm talking about pulling down a steep driveway, or boat ramp, or some other situation where you might want to have the help of some trailer brakes...but they are not there.

post #9 of 52 Old 05-29-2019, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,125 Times in 2,033 Posts
Mentioned: 432 Post(s)
Quoted: 3136 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Come on now, that is your stance here? I get that you are super detailed and want things on your truck to perform better than when it was new, but this is a stretch.

I want to see a pic of this 10k lb boat, that when in reverse, on the boat ramp, in 4wd, you need the trailer brakes.

If you want to be realistic, I can tell you about the day I took 6 k-rails on a triple axle down hills with zero trailer brakes.

GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
post #10 of 52 Old 05-29-2019, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

No need to get all worked up.....for a mod, you sure seem to take things way to personal.

The boat is around 6,000lbs. The camper pushes 10,000lbs loaded. Yes, I like stuff to work right....some people are like that. Better than new? Nope...just work like they are supposed to. The problem is that the TBC does work like it did when it was new......that's why they came out with a tech bulletin explaining to people that you have next to no trailer brakes when you are under 15mph.

No other aftermarket TBC I've ever used, or heard of people using will not let you actuate the brakes are slow speeds.....thats just stupid, what's the reasoning behind that train of thought?

My post was mostly created to see if there was any way to modify the OEM TBC or do some other fix to make it work the breaks at speeds under 15mph.

No need to get all worked up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode