2005 TBC...no trailer brake power until over 10mph - Page 5 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 52 Old 05-29-2019, 01:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I don't think the vehicle manufacturer is going to recommend towing on ice though - lol

Mud and gravel will be a lot harder to avoid, but it would be wise to avoid steep slopes in those conditions - if at all possible anyway.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 52 Old 05-29-2019, 05:05 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,067 Times in 996 Posts
Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 2543 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Where's @djmaguire with his schematics? I bet he could figure out how get the factory TBC to stop a 10k trailer under 15 mph.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #43 of 52 Old 05-29-2019, 05:17 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,044 Times in 938 Posts
Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Quoted: 1586 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You just need to mount one of these on the dash...

...and throw when needed.

Okay... okay... I'll look at what I've got.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLinkô LX, Autometer EGT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djmaguire For This Useful Post:
Heavy_GD (05-30-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 52 Old 05-29-2019, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
It's really not that big of a deal. If you want to slow down faster, just speed up a bit.
Larry Grogan likes this.
post #45 of 52 Old 05-30-2019, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcflyfyter View Post
It's really not that big of a deal. If you want to slow down faster, just speed up a bit.
Great idea!

2005 F250 6.0 PSD, ARP Studs, Felpro HG's, EGR Delete, IPR Coolant Filter, Blue Spring Mod, IDP Custom Tunes
post #46 of 52 Old 05-30-2019, 08:40 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Garage
Could "fake" the speed input to the brake controller so it would think you were traveling over 15mph -- a fairly simple add on circuit to add pulses to the speed input -- could make it adjustable so you could choose the "gain"

Thinking an opto isolator circuit to eliminate feedback and a 555 timer to add the pulses

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #47 of 52 Old 05-31-2019, 03:42 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro View Post
Could "fake" the speed input to the brake controller so it would think you were traveling over 15mph -- a fairly simple add on circuit to add pulses to the speed input -- could make it adjustable so you could choose the "gain"

Thinking an opto isolator circuit to eliminate feedback and a 555 timer to add the pulses
I haven't had a chance to dig in any docs, but I think that @Hydro is really going in a solid direction here.

Maybe the TBC was intended to not do much at low speeds. The attached doc suggests that. Then, it becomes a matter of preference.

@Hydro 's mention of the isolator and 555 timer to add pulses is a fine approach. There might be some irregularity in the timing, but the TBC wouldn't likely discern it.

A few logic gates could be used as a frequency doubler. A phased-locked loop (PLL) circuit could be used to multiply the frequency of the pulses by 3 or 4 times. Either would be a very clean way to do it since the actual pulse trian would be being "multiplied" resulting in stable/uniform pulse timing. Fun stuff.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLinkô LX, Autometer EGT
post #48 of 52 Old 05-31-2019, 06:11 AM
Premium Member

Garage
I suppose it depends on the origin of the signal used by the TBC -- may get it directly from the transmission speed sensor or from the buss system from the instrument cluster or PCM -- kinda need schematics to see the direction of the signal

The opto and timer setup would in the simplest form do what is needed and be user adjustable -- if the signal is direct

Maybe the signal is sent over the buss system -- then would need to isolate and modify the network messages -- an Arduino(Nano) or Raspberry(II) could work here and still be inexpensive

General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #49 of 52 Old 05-31-2019, 07:04 AM
Premium Member

Garage
In looking at the connector, I can't really figure where a speed input comes into play. I'll attach the relevant section of the workshop manual. The connector is C2142.

Regarding my comments about logic gates and PLLs... I was only suggesting them as ways that - no matter what the speed signal would be - the signal would be automatically doubled/tripled/quadrupled in frequency.

An example of the logic gate way is this:

No matter the input frequency, the output frequency is doubled. In this way, if there is some other dependence on speed at higher speeds, it might be maintained. Might.

I wasn't suggesting that there was any problem with a fixed speed fooler circuit. I'm only saying that one that tracks speed and multiplies it might preserve some other modes of operations.

...but, again, I can't see a speed signal in the connector. So...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Super Duty_04-Electrical and connectors - 8 of 8.pdf (3.02 MB, 18 views)

2004 F550 CC Lariat
post #50 of 52 Old 05-31-2019, 04:09 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Looking at that connector information, there is no speed input -- is the braking limit characteristic only active on certain model years?

I have not noticed any braking limitation below 10mph on my 2006 F250 -- but then again I will be noticing next time I have a trailer hooked

Need more information

General note:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode