2005 TBC...no trailer brake power until over 10mph - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 52 Old 05-29-2019, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,116 Times in 2,024 Posts
Mentioned: 430 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
@HeavyAssault come save me, I'm all worked up!!!!
HeavyAssault likes this.

GD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 52 Old 05-29-2019, 09:24 AM

Thanked 1,820 Times in 1,764 Posts
Mentioned: 700 Post(s)
Quoted: 3934 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
lucky me
my 6000 lbs boat uses surge brakes lol

and Heavy does not get "worked up" he is always like this
Heavy_GD likes this.

6.0 flush pdf
post #13 of 52 Old 05-29-2019, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
lucky me
my 6000 lbs boat uses surge brakes lol

and Heavy does not get "worked up" he is always like this
Yeah....mine had surge brakes but they were horrible. I swapped them out for electric brakes.....stops much better (when the TBC gives them power).

Pulling the boat doesn't bother me as much....it's light enough to stop even without trailer brakes. The camper is what bothers me....the campsites in my area are pretty hilly......it's not fun to stop when you don't have trailer brakes under 15mpg. I'm surprised they actually designed it to function like that....what would Ford's reasoning be??

And yes.....I've figured out that he's always like that.

2005 F250 6.0 PSD, ARP Studs, Felpro HG's, EGR Delete, IPR Coolant Filter, Blue Spring Mod, IDP Custom Tunes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 52 Old 05-29-2019, 09:32 AM

so the manaul activation does not work " or is reduced " also

ford did really screw up on this reduced voltage IMO i wonder if there is a hack ?

6.0 flush pdf
post #15 of 52 Old 05-29-2019, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

As far as I can tell.....when you manually activate them, you have no brakes at all. Does the system put out half a volt or some other minute about of voltage? Maybe......but half a volt might as well be zero volts. When I first bought the truck I actually thought the TBC was faulty because when I hooked my trailer up and manually worked the brakes ..nothing happened. But then when I would get out on the road, they started working.

I would understand if the automatic function (just using the brake pedal) would reduce volts at slow speeds.......as long as you still had full power if you manually actuated them......but you have next to zero braking power.....even though the controller shows full green bars (power output).

Yes, a fix/hack would be nice. Even at 10mph.....if you are pulling a heavy load and need to stop quick, the fact that you can't get power to the trailer brakes is insane......

2005 F250 6.0 PSD, ARP Studs, Felpro HG's, EGR Delete, IPR Coolant Filter, Blue Spring Mod, IDP Custom Tunes

Last edited by iqraceworks; 05-29-2019 at 09:46 AM.
post #16 of 52 Old 05-29-2019, 10:20 AM

it takes a special tester to check the Ford reduced TBC output ans it had failed many roadside safety inspections because the inspectors did not know about this "better idea"
Bismic may have posted the pdf for that ?

i like the integration of the TBC but if i used the e trailer brakes I would probably piggyback a manual full volt slider

6.0 flush pdf
post #17 of 52 Old 05-29-2019, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
it takes a special tester to check the Ford reduced TBC output ans it had failed many roadside safety inspections because the inspectors did not know about this "better idea"
Bismic may have posted the pdf for that ?

i like the integration of the TBC but if i used the e trailer brakes I would probably piggyback a manual full volt slider
I've thought about trying to bypass the OEM TBC and install an aftermarket one......but I'm just wondering how easy that would be to do since the factory TBC is tied into the trucks computer. Other than the "no brakes under 10mph" issue....the factory TBC actually works great! It's nice and smooth, and I don't constantly have to tinker with it like I have to with most aftermarket ones I've used. Sure would be nice to just figure out a way where I can still get braking power at slow speeds.

Did all the 03-07 factory TBC's do that "reduced braking power at slow speeds" thing....or just the 05's?

post #18 of 52 Old 05-29-2019, 10:42 AM

even the new trucks reduce voltage
05 was the first year

6.0 flush pdf
post #19 of 52 Old 05-29-2019, 10:45 AM

you will lose all the integration of the ITBC if you go standalone but it may be best for your needs ?

i think it is BS that you can't just flip the manual slider to straighten out a truck sliding on the road under the speed dictated by the tbc

6.0 flush pdf
post #20 of 52 Old 05-29-2019, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

I'm still trying to think of a reason why you would WANT to reduce trailer brake power and slow speeds. If your foot is light on the brake.....the trailer brakes should be on light. If you are heavy on the brakes, then trailer brakes should be on heavy.

Just because you are under 10-15mph doesn't mean that you don't need trailer brakes to help the truck stop. The logic there is very confusing......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode