Head Gaskets - Page 3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 48 Old 08-12-2019, 04:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Considering this history, it would be interesting for the thread to get pictures of the gaskets and heads to see the pattern, or not. And how much the head is deviated from flat.

Jack
Former Vehicle Test Manager, Friction Products.
03 F350SC 4x4 6.0 Auto 5/30/03

YouTube Videos - TooManyToys

Never buy a Ford Remanufactured motor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 48 Old 08-12-2019, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
If you mean belched by bled off the pressure then yes after it belched the pressure was at 17psi. Under normal driving unloaded conditions I only see about 6psi. The degas bottle is maintaining under normal driving conditions. By maintaining I mean it stays within the max and min level and checked regularly.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
post #23 of 48 Old 08-12-2019, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5J's View Post
If you mean belched by bled off the pressure then yes after it belched the pressure was at 17psi. Under normal driving unloaded conditions I only see about 6psi. The degas bottle is maintaining under normal driving conditions. By maintaining I mean it stays within the max and min level and checked regularly.

Take a picture of the antifreeze level in the degas bottle when the engine is cold and post it.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 48 Old 08-12-2019, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
The max level is TOO high for our trucks. The MIN line should be the max you fill the bottle to. Even 1/2" below the minimum line

What I meant about bleeding the pressure off is: get it up to operating temp, then open the cap by hand, carefully, to get the psi to 0, then drive it and monitor what it goes up to
post #25 of 48 Old 08-12-2019, 05:38 PM

There’s a story over on FTE that is similar, it was interesting. It may not do a damn thing, just snake oil, but it worked for akblackfoot.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-question.html

And the resolve.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-resolved.html

Jack

Last edited by TooManyToys; 08-12-2019 at 06:26 PM.
post #26 of 48 Old 08-12-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by repalmer View Post
The max level is TOO high for our trucks. The MIN line should be the max you fill the bottle to. Even 1/2" below the minimum line

What I meant about bleeding the pressure off is: get it up to operating temp, then open the cap by hand, carefully, to get the psi to 0, then drive it and monitor what it goes up to
Yes sir, I agree that the factory min should be max. There is some debate about that. I always run mine about 1/4" below the stamped min and have found that when pressured up the degas bottle never goes empty and that's what is important. As for the pressure after warm up test, I did that about 6 weeks or so ago and built up about 1.5 psi after warm bleed off.

post #27 of 48 Old 08-12-2019, 07:37 PM

I know this is going to sound like a broken record, but did you vent the pressure on the day you hit 17psi while towing the 5er?
post #28 of 48 Old 08-12-2019, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

No sir. Parked it jumped into another vehicle and was gone for about 5 hours. I looked at the gauge when I got back but, I don't remember where it was.
@TooManyToys thanks for the links. It sounds like that may be my issue. Now I'll look into doing this return to the T-Stat.

post #29 of 48 Old 08-12-2019, 08:06 PM

I've got my heads tapped, but for Swagelok fittings for a hard tube. I don't want to screw around with the T/S area, I'm going to try to tee the two hard lines, then use a hose nipple and bring a line up to one of the existing hoses to the degas bottle. Tee'd to one of those.

Another member did the head to T-stat lines with his new Kill Devil heads. He tows heavy and tuned and so far it's been fine for him.

The end ports for the heads, in front it's the return to the front cover, but in the back, it's deadheaded. On the engine stand, it sure looks like its trapped air space, and I don't think it can be vacuumed away where it is.

We have two "venting ports" in this application, one from the radiator and the other from the intake manifold. Both are there to remove any trapped air and bring it to the reservoir, or "degas" bottle. Other motors have them too, our Lincoln LS just overheats like crazy if you are not diligent on removing all the air.

Auto engineers have had a good record for calculating the amount of vapor pressure and coolant expansion rates, so it's always confounded me why they screwed up so badly on this design where the "max" indicator is so far off. Speculating only, but since akblackfoot got the results he did, something I thought was nuts, I now wonder if there was a miscalculation of air being trapped in the back of the heads. Air would have a much greater thermal expansion rate compared to coolant, and I wonder if that is why we have such a puking issue, and especially in cases of tuned or harder working situations. Normal driving, pressures and coolant expansion are fine. But you work the motor harder, more heat in the head area, and the "bubble", coolant expansion, and higher vapor pressure all contribute.

Anyway, its just speculation from down the rabbit hole.

Jack

Last edited by TooManyToys; 08-12-2019 at 08:10 PM.
post #30 of 48 Old 08-12-2019, 10:33 PM

There are specific reasons we ask you to do the tests, and the order of them. I'm not convinced you have a head gasket problem. But, it's your money if you want to have your guy tear it apart.
TooManyToys likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode