New & Improved 6.0 Chances For Destruction? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 05-19-2019, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New & Improved 6.0 Chances For Destruction?

Hello -- I purchased my 2004 F-350 DRW new and take fairly good care of the truck. A couple of years ago it puked its cookies at 100k miles and I installed a new factory reman engine along with the usual list of Bullet Proof parts, i.e. the coolers, water pump, radiator, FICM, etc. The ARP studding came with the replacement engine.

So here's my question -- now that the corrections have been made, what are my chances of living a normal life with this engine? We all like the 6.0 but would you categorize this new engine along with it's modifications as an:

1. Outstanding motor with a lifespan equal to or better than past and present day top-rated diesel engines.
2. Okay engine and with a watchful eye (like most diesels), it will probably be an average engine at best.
3. Ultimate loser, stay close to home.

Thanks for your views on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-19-2019, 10:55 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Garage
Iirc, @TooManyToys has a reman he is working on. Maybe he will chime in.
john galt likes this.

2003 F-350, CC, LB, 285/75/16, Autometer Gages, Fox 2.0's (Thanks to Corey), Sninister Bypass Coolant Filter, 4" Turbo Back,Leece-Neville 230 Amp Alternator, 6.4 litre starter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old 05-19-2019, 11:00 AM

Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,718 Posts
Mentioned: 658 Post(s)
Quoted: 3781 Post(s)
i think you stand a far better chance of a normal life span vs a 6.4

and a 6.7 out of warranty is a $$ proposition

the 7.3 is the safe bet but a little to old for my taste so your right where i would be given the choices offered today

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 05-19-2019, 11:25 AM
california deplorable

Mentioned: 417 Post(s)
Quoted: 3025 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
i think you stand a far better chance of a normal life span vs a 6.4

and a 6.7 out of warranty is a $$ proposition

the 7.3 is the safe bet but a little to old for my taste so your right where i would be given the choices offered today
this ^^^
i would say 1 all the way mine was more messed up and has treated me better at this point than i had any right to expect...
little chit like the ipr could still cause grief if it does get the relocate so it is less of a PITA to get at next time and you could even carry a spare if your going to be boondocking it with your rig like i do.
i would take a fresh 6.0 with upgraded hpop for the 03/04 and all the regular upgrades and treatments over a brand new 6.7 with dpf personally i am sure a lot of folks would disagree with me on that but its my opinion and you were dumb enough to ask for it
j/k
BUT NOT ABOUT THE REBUILD ON THE 6.0
(caps lock was an accident but i am leaving it for effect )

the 6.0 had been around long enough we know how to treat one right to get the max miles and life out of it and the ONLY way to do that with a dpf engine is to replace it and delete it and risk hell fire from the fascist gov workers on the take who sponsor idiotic ideas like dpf etc...
again my opinions and you are entirely welcome to your own
but you did ask
The Figurehead likes this.

I like mead

early 04 f350 6.0 cclb lariat sr
Bulletproof oil &egr, elc, sct x3, edge CTS, afe intake, blue spring, t-500, MTW stage 2, Vivians looney, 305 x55x20 bfg at ko's, 4 inch cat back, 4"BDS fox shocks and steering stabilizer, tri pilar gauge set, coolant filter, riff raff boots, new headliner, 7 inch touch screen w/back up, new carpet, near whole new interior,

FederalOwnershipRespectfullyDeclined

Last edited by john galt; 05-19-2019 at 11:56 AM.
post #5 of 20 Old 05-19-2019, 12:00 PM
california deplorable

Mentioned: 417 Post(s)
Quoted: 3025 Post(s)
and this is not my truck but the guy does all his maint on time and did all the upgrades and works it hauling trailers for a living so its not impossible.

people get caught up in the "bad rep" the 6.0 has and don't ever just fix the damn thing right once and be done with it regular maintenance and the occasional problem from anything that runs on the road and i say you are way ahead with a well cared for fresh motor 6.0 over anything but a 7.3 and honestly i would be fine with a 7.3 for what i need but that is just me and i didnt find one of those for sale for only 3k so i bought my truck and i LOVE the thing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	high mileage 6.0.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	718985  

I like mead

early 04 f350 6.0 cclb lariat sr
Bulletproof oil &egr, elc, sct x3, edge CTS, afe intake, blue spring, t-500, MTW stage 2, Vivians looney, 305 x55x20 bfg at ko's, 4 inch cat back, 4"BDS fox shocks and steering stabilizer, tri pilar gauge set, coolant filter, riff raff boots, new headliner, 7 inch touch screen w/back up, new carpet, near whole new interior,

FederalOwnershipRespectfullyDeclined

post #6 of 20 Old 05-19-2019, 12:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
The problem is if your ďfactory reman engineĒ came through the Ford Motorcraft channel is that Ford does its contracts will the lowest cost builder. At the time I thought there would be some ethics involved based on my past relationship with Ford, but no, itís as poor as you can find. Now confirmed with two former Ford engineers, they source lowest cost motors and transmissions, despite the highest cost.

Based on conversations with fleet mechanics where their employers buy these, the average life span is about 100k. I pulled mine down at 75k, and Iím pretty sure it would have had a catastrophic failure at about 100k.

Taking it apart the motor was a collection of the worst practices imaginable, much like watching GOT, this just canít be. Even while putting it back together, I pulled it back apart as I realized the crankshaft was poorly machined in a manner Iíve never experience over almost 5 decades. The only thing that seems to be acceptable were the bores and the fact that at the time of remanufacturing Ford insisted on the newly released 20mm heads, which IMO is unappreciated event in the history of the 6.0L. Studs, are just lipstick.
john galt and partyman97_3 like this.

Jack
Former Vehicle Test Manager, Friction Products.
03 F350SC 4x4 6.0 Auto 5/30/03

YouTube Videos - TooManyToys

Never buy a Ford Remanufactured motor
The Following User Says Thank You to TooManyToys For This Useful Post:
john galt (05-19-2019)
post #7 of 20 Old 05-19-2019, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
I special ordered my 06 6.0. I put 190,000 on it. I had a 95 7.3 I put lots of miles on and got rid of it cause the cab where I sat was too cramped. I got a 2002 7.3 and have put over 45,000 on it. I just bought a 2001 7.3 because I am so happy with the 2 7.3's. Several friends have 7.3's they bought new pushing the 200,000 mile mark and they are happy. another friend has a 02 7.3 with 230,000 and we have gone on a few long trips in it. I'll take the 7.3 any day over a 6.0. If I wasnt living in cali I would yank the 6.0 from my 06 and throw a 7.3 in BUT we have smog checks here and it wouldnt pass. And my 06 is immaculate so selling it for cheap isnt an option so I'll keep it. I dont get the 7.3 is outdated bs. 7.3 is a very reliable engine. If you want more power get the Hydrachip.
The Figurehead likes this.

NOTNOW > 2001 F350 CCLB DRW SCHTICK SHHHIFTER
WONTON > 2002 F350 CCLB DRW OTTOMATIC
FTCOBRA > 2006 F350 CCLB DRW SCHTICK SHHHIFTER
post #8 of 20 Old 05-19-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks to all for the information. TMT, Now that the engine swap is done, I have to agree with you about Ford. I've always figured the dealerships were high-priced but at least the work would be done correctly. This process has changed my mind on all of that, they're a pretty sorry outfit. Your engine story doesn't really surprise me but still, I hate to hear it anyway. With labor costs as high as they are, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to use inferior parts when doing the work.

Anyway, this leaves me in a bad position. After paying-out a considerable amount of money for all this, I am definitely an owner. Not sure where I go from here, it's hard to justify tearing-down an engine that is presently running great but obviously I don't want to deal with the costs of a second cataclysmic event and it doesn't take long to rack-up 100k miles in my world. Any ideas?
post #9 of 20 Old 05-19-2019, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
I'll be the first to admit I'm not a good person to bring into your discussion. I've been a Ford person since the 1964 World's Fair, seeing the Mustang close up. 90% of the vehicles we have owned (my wife was an original owner of a '66 Stang) has been Ford's, I own 2 Ford compact tractors, most of the projects I worked on in my career were Ford's, I've been to the Arizona and Mi proving grounds ... I bleed blue. I don't think the dealership service managers who I dealt with for 25 years understood the situation. I knew how the OE side operated, I let myself be blind. So I'm as Pi**ed at myself as much as Ford, and the posting of my video was trying to warn others.

With the errors I found, the best you can do is hang in there and hope yours is not as bad. I hope yours is not as bad.

Each step of my journey through my motor was predicated with "it can't be this bad". It was and still is, a difficult project to work on. A lot of money was invested as you've done, and it's hard to justify more into a 16-year-old east coast truck. The only reason this has not been hooked and dragged to the local yard is trying to use it as a teaching tool. My grandson has an interest in restoration, miles away, maybe it will help his journey. Or others dealing with this. I may even get the motor back in before it rusts apart.

For me, it probably would have been better to get a short block from Ashville right from the start, if not just from a time perspective.

If you haven't seen the "discovery" video, I'm linking it. Getting it back together has a time and money angle, along with it's just so damn hard to acknowledge how bad I messed up with every step. Plus I'm trying to do the videos, so 15 minutes of work, go through the video, then repeat like 5 times ..... I'm slow.

GOT or the video, both cataclysmic.

Hit the top of the vid to go direct to YT to see in HD.

john galt and partyman97_3 like this.

Jack
Former Vehicle Test Manager, Friction Products.
03 F350SC 4x4 6.0 Auto 5/30/03

YouTube Videos - TooManyToys

Never buy a Ford Remanufactured motor
post #10 of 20 Old 05-20-2019, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That's a very well done video, TMT. It's unfortunate of course that it needed to be made. I'm assuming Ford is not all over this and trying to right the wrongs you have pointed out?

It's beginning to look I really stepped in it with this engine thing. I spent an inordinate amount of time doing the homework, plotting the plan to work through all this and when I look back on some of the decisions I made and the obvious warning signs I missed, it's a bit sobering. As I mentioned earlier, I had favored having a Ford dealership do the work because all-though it would be pricey, I would not need to worry about the quality of the end-product. Well, I had at least 60 days lead-up time to making the final decision and during that time, there were many, many warning signs I either missed or just blew-off. To this day, I don't have a written estimate of the cost or scope of work entailed in getting this engine work done. To make matters worse, I deal daily with contracts in my line of work! So yeah, I can relate completely to your comment (I) "let myself me blind" (about the situation).

So, has Ford agreed to make things right in your case or are you going another route?

As for me, I'm thinking it's probably best for me to monitor the next year of the engine operation and see where things stand. I have another year left of a 2-year "warranty" on the motor. If there are any clues to problems during that time, I can...do what?...lol...ask Ford to look into it? Btw, my initial agreement with Ford was a 3-year warranty period but when the work was completed they offered a 1-year. We settled on the 2-year. Again, no contract, nothing in writing -- for anything. My fault.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode