LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 05-15-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best EGR Delete For BPD Oil Cooler

Hello all,

Iíve been running a Sinister Diesel EGR kit(previous owner installed it) while I installed a BPD Oil Cooler 6 months ago. While they do work together, itís only a matter of time till the hose will leak. The ports between the transfer block and the wrap around of the delete kit are not aligned too well and the hose coupler makes up for the lack of perfect alignment.

I understand the IPR delete is not compatible with the BPD oil cooler kit but are there any better options? Or is modifying the SD unit is the best route?

Thanks,

2006 F250 KR 4x4-Studded, BPD Oil Cooler, EGR Delete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-15-2019, 07:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Garage
You may be able to find an old BPD unit, they originally had "deletes" that were EGR coolers with plates TIG welded on the exhaust openings but the coolant still had the normal path. They've been out of stock for a long time and last time I talked to them they said they didn't offer them anymore. If you're a decent welder or know one, it's not a difficult task. If I remember right, BPD has a $50 core charge that's refunded when you ship in your old unit, so you'd have to sweeten the deal if you found someone changing theirs, I would've let you have mine for $60 which would've gotten me my core charge back plus $10 for not having to take it to the post office.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190515-204059_Chrome_1557978084863.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	718761  

People never have enough time/money to do the job right, but somehow they always find the time/money to do it twice

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PowerSmoke07; 05-15-2019 at 07:47 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-16-2019, 05:17 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,036 Times in 965 Posts
Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Quoted: 2451 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Plug the holes in the intake manifold and front cover and run the coolant back to a tee in the heater return line. This does require removing the intake manifold, but IMO, it's the best "delete". Otherwise, I'd probably run a BPD cooler or a welded up OEM one.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-16-2019, 09:28 AM
Fummins Mod

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2149 Post(s)
Garage
block off the port in the front cover and put an NPT plug in the BPD cooler block

Mike
2005 CCSB F250 4X4

P-Pump 12 Valve/NV4500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Cornville View Post
When a saint tells you, ya gotta listen.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-16-2019, 10:05 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Im probably the odd man out but I actually went from an egr delete to the bulletproof egr cooler. Only because of this:

Many states emissions/inspection software is being updated to catch egr deletes. Not by design but by just new testing parameters etc. The county I lived in their smog stations failed egr deletes. Had a guy test my truck without recording it etc. I got away with it for a few years before hand though. but just something to consider for future if you feel your state/area may start emissions testing etc.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

Justin
post #6 of 11 Old 05-16-2019, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Garage
I went BPD cooler as well but run a slug in place of the EGR valve, if/when inspection comes around I just put the valve back in

People never have enough time/money to do the job right, but somehow they always find the time/money to do it twice

post #7 of 11 Old 05-16-2019, 05:58 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,036 Times in 965 Posts
Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Quoted: 2451 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior125 View Post
block off the port in the front cover and put an NPT plug in the BPD cooler block
Well, if you wanna do it the easy way, sure. LOL

I wasn't thinking that one through when I recommended tieing back in to the heater return. With the BPD block there is no need, just plug it like you said.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #8 of 11 Old 05-17-2019, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
I know you want to get rid of the cooler, but as mentioned it isn't long until emissions testing is everywhere IMPOSSIBLE to cheat nowadays....that is a fact.

I went with the BPD cooler, reinstalled a DIESELSITE up-pipe and installed this:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-6-0-Di...72.m2749.l2649

It is now easy to re-insert my valve, pass the test and remain legal.

2004/Kill Devil O-ringed heads/Studs(finally)/Warren 175-30's/ADII/KC StageII/BPD everything/ODAWG S2R Ported Intake/CX racing IC/Gearhead Tunes/WPE RR...........FINALLY DONE and (still) NO LEAKS!

Joe

post #9 of 11 Old 05-17-2019, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

All good info, thanks everyone.

So there is no issue with coolant flow when you block off the ports? No “dead heading” or anything like that?

post #10 of 11 Old 05-28-2019, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So from the service manual page(attached) showing the flow of coolant-it seems like the most ideal place to weld/plug the flow of coolant is on the intake manifold after the point of the coolant exiting the egr and not the port on the front cover after it has exited the intake manifold.

Along with blocking the coolant port on the BPD transfer block-that seems like the cleanest way, correct?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Service Manual 04-06 Part 1 Coolant Passage Ways.pdf (93.8 KB, 9 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode