Stock 6.0 looking for advice on what mods to make - Page 3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 28 Old 05-18-2019, 11:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for posting!

As a specification, a 30 weight oil starts at 9.3 cSt viscosity. This means that if you are close to 9.3 cSt, you are almost using a 20 wt oil. The 30 wt range is 9.2 to 12.49 cSt.

Rotella T6 starts out at 14.2 cSt as a 40 weight oil.

Your oil has sheared to 9.6 cSt. To me that is too close to a 20 wt oil. As the report stated, fuel dilution is up a fair amount. This might also be contributing to the low viscosity. Fuel dilution is pretty normal for a diesel engine. Commonly, as the OCI goes up, so will the fuel dilution. Ford has stated that you can run pretty high on fuel dilution (edited, looked it up - Ford states that 5% is the highest they will allow and it is Blackstone that states 2% is the limit), I just wouldn't want to ..... even 2.5% is high to me!

Your wear metals aren't bad (yet), but the chromium and copper are higher than I would like to see. When copper and lead go up, it could be turbo bearings. High fuel dilution is VERY hard on turbo bearings. There are numerous posts on the multiple 6.0L forums about turbo bearing failure and fuel dilution.

Personally, I would not like to see the results you got and I wouldn't run an oil that is that thin or that had that much fuel in it.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bismic; 05-18-2019 at 11:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 Old 05-18-2019, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Garage
I see your concerns, but what doesn't make sense is your flip flopping on Ford's recommendations. They claim an OCI of 5000 miles under "severe" duty or 7500 under normal operating conditions. You stand firmly by these recommendations even when the cSt of my 6700 mile analysis shows the oil has already been sheared down to the mid range 30wt. It dropped 3.2 in that time and has dropped 1.4 in the 9k miles since. Conversely, Ford is ok with up to 5% fuel, yet 2.5% is too high for you.

I'm by no means saying that you're wrong, just trying to understand the view.

The fuel dilution is currently suspected to have increased due to a colder winter where the truck was idling more than usual in the mornings. This was remedied by incorporating the high idle into the remote start system in order to combat any cylinder washing that may be present. Again, won't know if that was the issue/fix until this next UOA comes back. I have not been given reason to doubt Blackstone Labs. Obviously they don't have any skin in the game because they aren't forcing me to keep putting mileage on the oil but the reverse side is that I'm sure they don't want a situation of "they told me I could continue running this oil and I blew my engine, they have no clue what they're doing" since they're getting paid to tell me what the oil is reading. Will this engine pull half a million? I don't know, but there are others that get babied and don't see 300k without a rebuild, it's a crap shoot.

People never have enough time/money to do the job right, but somehow they always find the time/money to do it twice

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PowerSmoke07; 05-18-2019 at 06:48 PM.
post #23 of 28 Old 05-18-2019, 07:27 PM

I'm not flip flopping at all. Just voicing my opinion and reporting Ford's position. When it comes to oil, who can say what is absolutely right or wrong. Some people have lifter issues or cam lobe failures and they did all the right things. Some people don't follow the "straight and narrow" recommendations and seem to do ok. Who can say why! I do know there is a large variability in the quality of parts and manufacturing that can be at the heart of it. With the 6.0L, I tend to believe that being conservative is wise. That said, I run a tune for a fairly significant power boost. I know the risk, I can accept any consequence. That said, I won't tell someone that wants reliability to run one ..................

What most people miss is that statistics usually involve a bell curve....

Me ...... I'm in it for the long haul - even if my tune causes problems. If it does I'll roll up my sleeves and do the work. As far as oil change intervals go - I have seen turbo bearing failures and the oil analysis associated with it. My experience indicates it can happen around 2% fuel. Seen it in forum posts also over the years. I think real data is worth listening to. Ford has a reason to take the position they do. It is always a financial balance for them. They stated 5% back when they still had warranties to deal with am didn't want to have to pay for a lot of injectors. I think an oil change at 7500 miles, or even 5000 miles, is cheap insurance with these 6.0's. But again, if more people push that envelope, we can probably learn things from it!

As far as Blackstone goes, they have canned statements on everything. They can't possibly determine why you have issues from a single sample. They can give suggestions which are sometimes helpful. Don't read more into it than that.

I post a lot on these forums to help people, but there is no way that internet help can be better than what a good diesel tech can do with the truck in front of him. At best, a single oil analysis or two at Blackstone is like an internet help forum thread that has limited data to go on.

Just my 2 cents again.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

Last edited by bismic; 05-18-2019 at 09:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 28 Old 05-18-2019, 07:35 PM

Also - apologies to the OP for turning this into another oil thread!!

Mark
No-start thread:

post #25 of 28 Old 05-18-2019, 07:57 PM

Garage
Fair rebuttal, I also apologize to the OP...end sidetrack

Ultimately, it comes down to what you decide to do with your engine/truck. Clearly, there are different opinions and each has reasoning. There is no absolute answer. Each of us differs slightly and the information should be compiled together to make an educated decision. Like bismic, I know there is risk in what I am doing and am willing to accept that risk and the potential consequences that may come
bismic likes this.

People never have enough time/money to do the job right, but somehow they always find the time/money to do it twice

post #26 of 28 Old 07-06-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSmoke07 View Post
I haven't gotten the latest report back yet but here's the one from 16k miles on the oil which also shows the various levels dating all the way back to the initial sample to see what it was looking like in between the Ford recommendations of 5000-7500 miles
@PowerSmoke07 - By your interval mileage and dates, you should have gotten the 18k oil report back by now I would think ............... Yes? No?

Mark
No-start thread:

Last edited by bismic; 07-08-2019 at 01:14 PM.
post #27 of 28 Old 07-06-2019, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
No problem guys, interesting reads to me. I like to know as much as I can about things too.

On another note, I have my EDGE CTS2 monitor coming later next week can wait to get it going to keep an eye on things. I’m hoping to flush my cooling system in the next few days. Got some VP9 to run through it. It’s not my daily driver so may take a few days as I’m in no rush. Using PEAK Final Charge coolant to refill. Also I have the BLUE SPRING kit in my hands and an Auto Meter 8404 Boost Gauge.

I’ll be working on things soon but I’m hoping this 90į weather will break a little, I hate sweating my *** off working on vehicles wish I had a climate controlled garage.

First 6.0 PSD I’ve had and this truck runs great I love it. I had a 2003 with 7.3 I sold two years ago. The trucks seem very similar to me but the 6.0 does seem to have a little more power and a tad quieter also.

Last edited by 50dan; 07-06-2019 at 11:59 AM.
post #28 of 28 Old 07-08-2019, 01:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSmoke07 View Post
I haven't gotten the latest report back yet but here's the one from 16k miles on the oil which also shows the various levels dating all the way back to the initial sample to see what it was looking like in between the Ford recommendations of 5000-7500 miles
@PowerSmoke07 - By your interval mileage and dates, you should have gotten the 18k oil report back by now I would think ............... Yes? No?
Yea, came in a bit ago, been slammed lately so haven't been on. Needless to say, I will NOT be waiting until 18k to check back in
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190708_134848_1562618984286.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	625.5 KB
ID:	720699  
bismic likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode