LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 04-14-2019, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Solving trans / cluster / ECM issues

04 F350 4x4 dump
Just studded and deleted. New hpop ficm and a list of other stuff. Drives fine when unloaded but when towing my camper up long inclines it’s nit wanting to downshift out of OD even in Tow Haul mode. This is actually causing coolant to warm up slightly as well! By the top or hill I’d be going 40 but started at the bottom at 65+. 10k lb toyhauler so nothing outrageous

ANY IDEAS??!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 04-15-2019, 04:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I would think a good stomp on the go go pedal while itís lugging should drop it out of OD, especially if you have T/H on.

Im assuming the truck doesnít have a tuner? I personally would just get a good custom tow tune and be done with it. Shift strategies are far better than stock anyways, especially in the towing department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 CCSB Lariat F-350
287,XXX KM
ARP studs, EGR Delete
SCT SF3 w/ GH & IDP Tunes
BW SXE 62/68/.83AR, Irate T4 Kit
4" Volant Turbo back exhaust
Fuelab Fuel Pressure Regulator @ 60PSI
Isspro Fuel Pressure, Oil Pressure, HPOP Pressure Gauges
Edge Insight Monitor
FS2500 Oil Bypass Filtration
IDP Tuned 58V FICM
Coolant filtration
R4 Rear Air Ride
Bilstein 5100's
2-Way Compustar Remote Start/Alarm
Misc. mods
post #3 of 36 Old 04-16-2019, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darianmacdonald View Post
I would think a good stomp on the go go pedal while it’s lugging should drop it out of OD, especially if you have T/H on.

Im assuming the truck doesn’t have a tuner? I personally would just get a good custom tow tune and be done with it. Shift strategies are far better than stock anyways, especially in the towing department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve had it to the floor and still no doenshift! Only when climbing a long hill but Starting at the bottom I’m doing 65, by the time I hit the top I’m down to 40-45. No lights on/flashing. Shifts fine on flat ground. Again only does this with a load
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 04-23-2019, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I fried my PCM! (plot twist, he didnt)

Had to order a new PCM! Thanks to SCT X4 tuner for ruining my original. Long story short, tried to install a tow tune on my 04 6.0. Got an error halfway thru, Spent a couple hrs on the phone with SCT, tried recovering stock file, no bueno.

Now I have a dump truck that won’t turn over, that I use daily to work, and have a race this weekend I planned on towing my race trailer with it.

SCT told me take my pcm to ford and they’ll flash it back to stock. Ford says they need the truck there at the same time. Problem is my driveway is like a four wheeler path and can’t get a tow truck Up here.

SCT takes no responsibility and doesn’t seem to care they have my truck out of commission all week while I wait on a new pcm, let alone I have to rent a truck to tow my race trailer this weekend if it doesn’t come in time.

Their consumer phone line was tied up and said to call back later so I called and pressed 2 acting as a dealer and got someone on the phone right away. He instantly got pissy and acted like I was in the wrong for calling the dealer line. My issue is a bit urgent don’t ya think

STAY AWAY FROM SCT!!!
post #5 of 36 Old 04-23-2019, 10:29 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Your PCM isn't fried. The programming is messed up. If you find someone with autoeinguity ford program they can also reflash it for you. look up mobile mechanics and make buddies with someone who works with powerstrokes. won't take long at all. you can also remove the pcm

6.0L Power Stroke PCM Replacement Procedures

The dealer may not be able to hook up to it without being in the truck though.

I am sorry about your issue but always want to let you know SCT is kind of the CATS MEOW for 6.0L programmers and I've had issues and been resolved. May try calling again and try to be extra nice? There is always a risk with flash programmers on 6.0Ls. I had my ecm issues and found someone on craigslist who flashed it and all was well.

You could also buy the ford autoenginuity program for about $370 from riffraff diesel performance and use it with a laptop to re flash it yourself. It may be cheaper than a tow truck or a new ecm

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Justin
post #6 of 36 Old 04-23-2019, 02:10 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,015 Times in 944 Posts
Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 2433 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You might want to put your batteries on charge while you wait on the new PCM that you likely didn't need.
bismic, HP MACHINE and Chris like this.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #7 of 36 Old 04-23-2019, 03:39 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Even I got away with an error , I tried to load 05' and up tuning that was sent in error . The files are larger on the newer trucks .
If I can recover from instantaneous freak out , you can too !
Take your time and think things thru patiently . At least it's an X4 and not some wireless unit that downloads from a cloud .
Then your sitting there looking into the sky wondering which " cloud " is carrying your info away . ( That's supposed to be humorous ) .
Colin7.3 likes this.
post #8 of 36 Old 04-23-2019, 03:42 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
Your PCM isn't fried. The programming is messed up. If you find someone with autoeinguity ford program they can also reflash it for you. look up mobile mechanics and make buddies with someone who works with powerstrokes. won't take long at all. you can also remove the pcm

6.0L Power Stroke PCM Replacement Procedures

The dealer may not be able to hook up to it without being in the truck though.

I am sorry about your issue but always want to let you know SCT is kind of the CATS MEOW for 6.0L programmers and I've had issues and been resolved. May try calling again and try to be extra nice? There is always a risk with flash programmers on 6.0Ls. I had my ecm issues and found someone on craigslist who flashed it and all was well.

You could also buy the ford autoenginuity program for about $370 from riffraff diesel performance and use it with a laptop to re flash it yourself. It may be cheaper than a tow truck or a new ecm
Thanks for that link , should useful one day , or at least good reading .
post #9 of 36 Old 04-24-2019, 12:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. Got an error then truck would not even crank, took about 20 times of getting the error before it actually took the tune and worked
post #10 of 36 Old 04-24-2019, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,057 Times in 1,966 Posts
Mentioned: 405 Post(s)
Quoted: 3044 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Tuning isnt for everyone... https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...correctly.html

GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode