new to the forum - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 04-22-2019, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
new to the forum

Hello all, Im new to the forum. Just bought an 06 250. 6.0 with 123,600 miles on it.
Bought it from my neighbor and he took good care of it. I bought the truck with the intention of pulling a trailer for my junk removal business. And im wondering what upgrades i need to do right away. i bought airbags and will be installing them this weekend. Im aware of some of the infamous problems with the 6.0. This truck doesn't have an egr delete but runs great as is, although i know this wont last. Do i need to replace it right away or wait? Any other upgrades that need to be done asap please let me know. Thanks for reading. Pics on the way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-23-2019, 05:57 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Honestly, take a couple of weeks and get to know the truck. If it drives good, why fix what's not broken. There's some basics, like perhaps an oil change. Some will tell you change the coolant to CAT -1 ELC, but its been in there a while, and a poorly done fluid change will lead to a clogged oil cooler, which is expensive and time consuming to fix. If you choose to do it, plan the change well. IMO heads and studs are done when the heads go bad.

Welcome.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good 6.0 Reading:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-23-2019, 02:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
I am one that would recommend switching to an EC-1 rated coolant if it is still on Ford Gold. HOWEVER, you need a monitor to look at your temperatures (oil and coolant) first! If the oil cooler is getting clogged up, you should flush the coolant one way (back flush oil cooler and maybe use chemical cleaners). If it isn't clogged up, you can flush it another way.

Make sure you aren't getting ANY oil in the coolant!
Make sure you are using ONLY OEM filters (and that the oil filter cap is OEM also).
Don't ignore batteries and alternator or you will be spending money on a FICM.
At some point a fuel pressure sensor and gauge is wise. Expensive injectors need at least 50 psig fuel pressure at all times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-24-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it. I'm wondering if this truck will be ok to tow 14k dump trailer???....I used it this morning and I may have overloaded it but it pulled it just fine, a little slow but it was ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode