2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 04-19-2019, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mpgs and towing

Hi everyone I've been reading the powerstroke community for a while and finally joined!
Anyways this is a two question deal.
First off, I have a 2006 F350 6.0l crewcab longbed, stock motor other than egr delete & transmission, 3.73 gears on 35s with 20 inch wheels. I average 13 mpg empty which is alot of city driving doesn't see much highway unless going camping pulling a #8000 5th wheel. When pulling I'm lucky to get 6 mpg. Does this sound right to others with similar setups? The second question is when towing I have trouble getting past 60mph and my radiator fan is full blast for most of the trip. I've changed out the coolant a couple times due to a blown radiator one time and leaking timing cover gasket. It's even started kicking the fan on while I'm empty going 65-75 down the highway. Not full blast but just enough to hear it and it hasn't done that before. Any ideas? Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-19-2019, 12:17 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1518 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Sounds like your oil cooler is clogged and your truck is keeping itself from overheating. Im better you don't have a monitor installed to check the engine oil and engine coolant temps correct? This a absolutely necessary on ALL 6.0Ls. without a doubt 150%.

Im betting your oil temps are sky rocketing and your truck is just doing its job. get a monitor like a scanguage from bulletproof diesel or an edge insight monitor from edge products and take a drive on the highway empty maybe 55-65mph on flat ground.

If the oil and coolant temps are more than 15 degrees apart you need to change the oil cooler and most likely the egr cooler too.

The ford gold turns to gel and clogs the oil cooler coolant passages. once its clogged enough the truck will de power itself to save the engine. then the egr cooler gets suffocated and could rupture etc.

Get a monitor and post the temps. when warmed up the truck should be around 190-197ish coolant temp for a good reference.

PS you do you the tow/haul feature correct? I don't want to sound rude, just want to double check simple things. Also how many miles on the fuel filter, air filter, and oil/oil filter?

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Justin
post #3 of 17 Old 04-19-2019, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No I don't mind being double checked. Anyone can miss simple things. I have a program on my phone to see real time info. So I can see what my computer sees. I cant see what the engine oil temperature is just the coolant temperature and the transmission temperature. I do oil changes every 3000, fuel filters every 6000 to 9000 miles. The tow/ haul button has been broken since I've owned the truck. Should I have a sensor for the oil temp or do I need a gauge?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 04-19-2019, 02:08 PM
Serving Our Country!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson Gregurek View Post
No I don't mind being double checked. Anyone can miss simple things. I have a program on my phone to see real time info. So I can see what my computer sees. I cant see what the engine oil temperature is just the coolant temperature and the transmission temperature. I do oil changes every 3000, fuel filters every 6000 to 9000 miles. The tow/ haul button has been broken since I've owned the truck. Should I have a sensor for the oil temp or do I need a gauge?
if you have an android phone the Torqpro app only cost like $6 and pair that with a bluetooth to obdII reader and you can read everything. The 6.0l will display engine oil temp and coolant temp on a properly set up monitor. You should be able to read boost, transmission, engine oil, engine coolant, check codes, and way more etc.

I would get the tow haul looked at asap. Im betting if your tow haul feature was working you would see a significantly better towing performance. the trailer weight you described is not bad, but without tow mode activated it can be sluggish. tow mode changes a ton of shifting and engine parameters specifically designed for towing. without that feature your truck will be shifting way up and not keeping it in the power band etc.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Justin
post #5 of 17 Old 04-19-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ha that is exactly what I have. The torque app with bluetooth connector on a android phone. I'll check to see if theres supposed to be a sensor for the oil temp. I'm ordering the parts to fix the tow switch and see if that helps with towing.
post #6 of 17 Old 04-20-2019, 04:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Unless youíve unlocked the Ford specific pids(?), you wonít see oil temp. Itís under one of the settings headings (gear shaped icon) on the opening page. Iíve just looked and I donít remember which. I know there is a YouTube video out there specifically done setting up the Torque Pro app.
post #7 of 17 Old 04-20-2019, 06:39 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Do you have any other information on the transmission?

k

2005 F-350 Lariat DRW. WAAAAYYYY to much for 500 character limit
post #8 of 17 Old 04-20-2019, 09:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sounds off when towing. My 5th wheel is around 9.5 to 10K loaded. I get about 9.5-11 MPG towing with a small tow tune and PHP Economy FICM tune. I have a manual trans and 3.73 rear end.

2007 F-350 4X4 CCSB, 6.0 PSD, ZF6 Manual Trans, 3.73s, EGR and Cat improvement, Edge CTS2 with EGT and Fuel, SCT X4, PHP FICM Programmer, Sinister Adjustable Fuel Press. Cover, Ficmrepair.com batt/alt wiring upgrade, Bosch 140 amp alternator with overdrive pulley, Rotella ELC, High-Idle mod, Mishimoto coolant filter, 6.4 starter, Genex mirror w/temp and compass, Magnum RT steps, Leer 100R Shell, Custom front bumper replacement, Steelcraft Elevation rear bumper, B&W turnover ball, 4" Cat Back exhaust, JVC head unit with backup camera, '08+ towing mirrors and rear diff. cover, etc.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-21-2019, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Justin, from my trip back home it appears you are correct about the oil cooler being plugged. Coolant temp ranged from 190 to 196 and the engine oil temp ranged from 249 to 260!! It reads a good ambient temperature before I started the truck to see if it was reading correctly. So I guess I'll start looking at options to fix it. Should I clean it, replace it with another stock or go to a aftermarket cooler that moves it to a air to oil cooler? I'll check it while unloaded to see what I get then but it seem right since the fan is running hard when the oil gets really hot.

kcoyner, it is a automatic transmission B code according to my sticker. I flushed it and changed both filters when I first got the truck at I think 130000. I know I changed the filters again since I just don't remember the exact milage.

Sock puppet, I'm completely stock other than egr deleted, a leveling kit and 35' tires. The truck came like that when I bought it. I also have 3.73 gears. I would like to go to 4.30 or 4.11 gears after I get this sorted out to help with my 90% city driving and towing the camper but we'll see after these fixes.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-21-2019, 12:19 PM
Serving Our Country!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson Gregurek View Post
Justin, from my trip back home it appears you are correct about the oil cooler being plugged. Coolant temp ranged from 190 to 196 and the engine oil temp ranged from 249 to 260!! It reads a good ambient temperature before I started the truck to see if it was reading correctly. So I guess I'll start looking at options to fix it. Should I clean it, replace it with another stock or go to a aftermarket cooler that moves it to a air to oil cooler? I'll check it while unloaded to see what I get then but it seem right since the fan is running hard when the oil gets really hot.

kcoyner, it is a automatic transmission B code according to my sticker. I flushed it and changed both filters when I first got the truck at I think 130000. I know I changed the filters again since I just don't remember the exact milage.

Sock puppet, I'm completely stock other than egr deleted, a leveling kit and 35' tires. The truck came like that when I bought it. I also have 3.73 gears. I would like to go to 4.30 or 4.11 gears after I get this sorted out to help with my 90% city driving and towing the camper but we'll see after these fixes.

You can google how to do a oil cooler back flush. It may unclog it enough for you to save money.

When you’re ready:

ARP headstuds, new oil cooler, bulletproof egr cooler and do a crap ton of coolant flushes BEFORE installing the new cooler.

But again try a oil cooler backflush it may buy you some time.

Happy Easter too

Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode