Fuel treatment? - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 Old 04-13-2019, 07:11 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
@mhatlen swears by Power Service diesel kleen . He said it keeps his EGR and intake manifold very clean as far as soot build up .
I switched to it but haven't paid attention to results . I add it every tank out of habit .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 04-13-2019, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohead1 View Post
Cool....i swear the opti-lube gave me at least 1.5 mpg on normal daily, and 1 mpg on towing with a 15k lb load...truck runs good...i gotta really watch cuz its rollin on but my temps are headed for 800+ if not careful...i like around 72 mph at 780 deg F

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I'm not sure what it has changed for fuel economy. I bought my 6.0 in Nov. of '17 with 142 on the clock and have used Optilube from day 1. I had a 7.3 before the 6.0 and had read about the negative effects of the ultra low sulphur diesels. So after a lot of searching I chose the Optilube never thought to check the economy. So when I went 6.0 I just carried over the habit.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
post #13 of 15 Old 04-14-2019, 02:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
I have a hard time with the idea that a fuel additive can increase fuel economy by 10% - even by 5%. Something like that is hard to prove since driving conditions are hard to keep consistent!

That said, I log every fuel fill, as well as where I got the fuel. I chart it and do statistics on it to see when I get an actual change in fuel economy (vs. normal variability). I see the downshift trends fairly easily (switching to larger mud terrain tires, or after a tune install). You can sure see when a brake caliper sticks. I don't see very many improvement trends unfortunately and with wind that can blow at 30 mph or drop to 0 mph, and can shift directions constantly, the normal variability in fuel economy is pretty high. I have done trials where I added fuel treatment for 10 fill-ups in a row and then quit for 10 fill-ups in a row. Tried to only drive the 30 mile trip to work during those trials. I couldn't see any real improvement or a decline associated w/ its use or discontinued use. I do think it can impact the soot situation - to a degree.
jokester00 likes this.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter; High-Idle;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax trans case;Fumoto valves;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270AXP;PowerInverter;Bilsteinshocks; BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;BPDWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL;ELC Ultra

Last edited by bismic; 04-14-2019 at 02:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 Old 04-14-2019, 11:30 AM
Your Local Windex Brewer

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
I never saw any noticeable increase in fuel economy in my 6.4 or my 6.7. The engines both run better with it however, and I get a longer distance between regen with a shorter regen. Not really applicable to the 6.0, but it does mean fuel is burning better/cleaner.

The only real benefits are lubricity and water removal... On newer high pressure common rail fuel systems, its a HUGE deal. Not anywhere near as important on a 6.0 or 7.3 with a HEUI system, but its still a good idea.
jokester00 likes this.

2015 F350 SRW CCSB Lariat - Stock, for now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 F350 SRW CCSB FX4 - Airaid CAI, FloPro 5" straight pipe, Egr delete with BD intake elbow, SCT X4 with tunes from Tyrant Diesel, Monitored by CTS, Fox 2.0s. - SOLD
-Matthew

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 15 Old 04-15-2019, 06:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyS0b View Post
I never saw any noticeable increase in fuel economy in my 6.4 or my 6.7. The engines both run better with it however, and I get a longer distance between regen with a shorter regen. Not really applicable to the 6.0, but it does mean fuel is burning better/cleaner.

The only real benefits are lubricity and water removal... On newer high pressure common rail fuel systems, its a HUGE deal. Not anywhere near as important on a 6.0 or 7.3 with a HEUI system, but its still a good idea.
So I've been using Diesel Kleen - Cetane Boost every fillup. It says 80oz does 250 gallons. So I have the 26 gallon tank, so I would use 8 oz for that. So since I fill up at 1/2 tank, I go with 4 oz every fill up.

I will say, my truck runs clean. I can't say anything else. I got the truck in the winter so mileage was **** anyway. Now I'm getting 1.5 to 2 mpg better but that could be due to summer blends showing up.

I do like using it though. Truck seems to run smoother, but that being said, I haven't had it long enough to really tell either way. After I gelled my fuel in the 0degree Nebraska winter, I started using the Winterizer and the Cetane Boost at each fill up. Now that its above 30 degrees I use Cetane Boost only.

Can't hurt to use it. May hurt not too.

When it comes to mechanics, everything I know is from either breaking it or watching someone else do the same. Then I had to fix it....Is that bad?

Murphy's Law: "things will go wrong in any given situation, if you give them a chance."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode