Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Faster acceleration

4K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  cingularchris 
#1 ·
Hello everybody,
I have a 05 F350 and I dont have any mods other than a cold air intake and a 4 inch exhaust. I have arp head studs also installed. I want to have faster acceleration especially at take off. What mods could i do to achieve this? I'm not talking about going 0-60 in 4 seconds but I would like it to have more get up and go. Any recommendations on the manufacturer would be appreciated too!

Thanks,
Brendon

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

#5 ·
my buddy just installed a SCT Livewire w/ a KC TURBO STg 1.5 and their SPD tune on his 05. that thing hauls now. visit https://kcturbos.com/ check out their stuff. If you are studded, i wouldnt much worry about the power being an issue.

SCT is like 600 ish, Turbo was 1600 and SPD tune IIRC was 125.
Wow sounds like a good setup. I've always heard SCT Livewire was the best tuner for the 6.0. How was the acceleration from a dead stop?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I am running a studded stock ‘05 with the livewire + and the looney wild tune from Vivian. There may be better tunes out there, and maybe better electronics. If I wanted better 0-60 times I would need to focus on launch technique as the tune will easily spin up the rears. I will say the factory tunes on these trucks leaves a lot to be desired these trucks are sllloooowwww with the stock tune. 0-60 times are something I am not personally concerned with so no idea if 4 sec is reasonable or easily achieveable.

#4 ·
I would start with getting an X4 with some custom tunes and see where you’re at after that. That itself will do plenty for you and will be a night and day difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bbenton50
#11 ·
Be cautious about purchasing a Livewire. Don’t hear much good things about them. Apparently they’re an absolute nightmare. I mean it’s nice to have the gauge/programmer combo but.

If money permits an Edge insight (CS2 or CTS2) paired with a X4 would be a good option.

Although the new Edge Insight CTS2 Pro is custom Tuning compatible, that would be the best option for sure. Most bang for your buck. Just don’t know which companies write tunes for it. I know Gearhead does. Here’s a link : https://www.ghtuning.com/product/edge-cts2-pro-87100/

#13 ·
I have tried tunes from Innovative, PHP, and am now currently running the super panty dropper from TSD which you can order through KC turbos. I was extremely underwhelmed and unimpressed by the PHP tunes. Heard everyone talk so highly about the TSD tunes so I finally just got some and I am most likely never going to get different tunes. The Super Panty Dropper makes the truck act like its half its weight, doesn't smoke much and just flat gets it. Acceleration wise I believe I got a bad setup since I got essentially a stock fuel system with the KC stage 2 turbo so it takes a touch more to light it but once it does just hold on.

#14 ·
I’m a fan of Gearhead. But all this talk about TSD sure has me wanting to give it a shot. Not a single bad review for those guys. Sounds like good stuff.

#15 ·
Gearhead is good, I loved SRL, but had a few (very rare) shift issues and stopped using it. I never asked them to adjust it either and I know they would have. My PHP tunes were very good as well, but I always went back to my TSD tunes. First MPD and after studs SPD. Chris has the 6.0 tunes mastered IMO.

#16 · (Edited)
SCT X4 is my preference. The unit monitors selected peramaters as well, in case that hasn't been mentioned. It's not on a 15" monitor granted. I just wanted to point that out.

Your take off from the line can be made HUGELY better by installing an EGR valve delete / spool valve. Your egr valve probably has blown o-rings on it. That's why I welded mine closed anyway. Night and day difference without that thing leaking by.

#18 ·
It could be. That depends on how you use it once you have it. I have the 60hp on mine (no studs) but it just sits in the driveway and isn't really a good example. Studs are in the plan. Heads and o-ringed once I have the money. I figure I'd rather put the money into this diesel than finance a new one and deal with all the emissions stuff they have on them now. The EGR on the 6L was bad enough...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.