Has anyone done this with their EGR system - Page 8 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 77 Old 03-12-2019, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just took my truck on a little over 400 mile trip. Ran great. Kept an eye on all my fluid levels and temps. Never went over 9 degree delta going over 80 on I-20. No fluid loss anywhere. Fuel milage looked great running on gearhead 8K tow tune. On the way back today had a 60 MPH cross wind for about 120 miles. Never went over 8-9 degrees. I’m happy with it so far.
voodooridr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 77 Old 03-12-2019, 06:26 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,056 Times in 985 Posts
Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2525 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcoyner View Post
It's not hard to imagine a time when there would be a lot of 6.0 owners who would wish they had went this route if more and more states adopt emissions checks. OTOH if enough of the "Green Earthers" get themselves elected we'll be getting our trucks crushed.

k
I wouldn't argue with that statement, but for me personally, if I still had my 6.0, I'd park it before I put the emissions crap back on it. The new truck is a bit of a different story, but going back legit on it is only about a half day of effort.

I kept my 6.0 in a state that I could go back to emissions compliance quickly (if needed) for a good while. It would be significantly more difficult now, but I like it better the way it is. I still have all of the parts if my son needs to take it back to that condition, but I'm betting on the truck being worn out before that day comes.
kcoyner likes this.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SPD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #73 of 77 Old 03-13-2019, 06:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Grogan View Post
I could not get to mine this weekend. I think the delta data would be interesting but not really substantiate anything. There are a lot of heat sinks involved in the system(oil, coolant, etc).

We have a IR heat gun at work, if I can borrow it for a few days I can do a test drive and record temps between; ambient, radiator, and egr cooler. Then replace egr with spool and repeat the same drive and record the same data.

Honestly don’t know if I can make it happen. Will Post back afterwards.
After reading your post I did some thinking/digging. I forgot about the Air Intake Temp sensor🙄. I’m thinking, because of its location it is reading right from the intake manifold. I didn’t take any readings before the plug install but only after. Now my intake temp is either the same as the outside ambient temp or a degree or two over depending on what I’m doing. I’m assuming that is normal. Seems legit as I can’t imagine it getting any cooler without some kind of mechanical cooling or ice sync. If anybody is about to install the plug I’d like to see what their temps are before and after the install. I’d like to think that eliminating 400-1200 degree exhaust from the equation, the intake temps will be much lower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 77 Old 03-14-2019, 11:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunkel3269 View Post
Been doing a lot of research lately. My truck still has the EGR Cooler in it and assume it is not welded due to black soot build up on the valve after installing a new EGR valve last year. I want to try and delete the egr. I would like to put a delete kit on it but have heard people speak of the Y pipe breaking. So I thought I would buy a already welded EGR cooler but will always have that though in the back of my mind that it could fail still.

I would like advice and opinions on my idea. I was thinking of installing the bullet proof diesel EGR cooler. Would also purchase a programmer that would allow me to turn the EGR system off. Then have the EGR valve welded shut. That way if I had to, I could just install a new valve and have a functioning EGR system. I’m sure this has been brought up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Kunkel3269,
Just wanted to thank you for starting this post. I wouldn’t have heard about the egr plug either if it wasn’t for your post and others putting their ideas into it. Plug is in and everything is better than I hoped so far. I’ll post again if anything changes.
voodooridr likes this.
post #75 of 77 Old 03-14-2019, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
No problem! I was clueless on this as well. A lot of great information on this forum. I will keep posting updates as time goes on as well. Hopefully they are good updates and not bad! LOL
post #76 of 77 Old 03-16-2019, 02:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
So ran the truck today. I got the IR gun used a sharpy to make dots on;the drivers side of the intake, on the egr cooler, on the oil filter housing, and on the side of the radiator to indicate where to aim the gun. I warmed the truck drove it about 10 miles pulled over and grabbed the IR gun and logged my temperatures in Apple note. After traveling 18.8 miles I pulled over and repeated the process with the IR gun. Well the engineers at Apple seem to think that i am too dumb to enter data in to Apple note and it changed my data to make the numbers sequential 136,137,138, etc. so I had to adjust fire as my baseline data was now invalid.

I had some screenshots of the ambient temperature displayed on my dash and I had been watching the OBDII air temp and the IAT2 temp via forscan. So I rolled with this data.

So run one with the egr in place;
Ambient displayed temperature was 58-61 F
OBDII air temp was 60-69 degrees.
IAT2 temp was 87-99F

Parked the truck for a while and then replaced the egr with the eBay spool. Afterwards repeated my run. It was slightly warmer out so the data varied slightly and there was still heat in the motor trans, etc..

Second run with spool in place;
Ambient displayed temp was now 69F
OBDII air temp was 70-82F
IAT2 temp was 94-102 during this run.

In all fairness I did NOT watch the data as closely during the second run. These runs were at a displayed 69mph in the 70 zones and a displayed 60mph in the 55mph zones. These were fairly low boost runs probably average 7-12. Under high boost conditions maybe the outcome would be different.

I have not really thought too extensively about this data; what it means or itís validity. While driving I was thinking that the spool had led to a greater IAT2:OBDII air temp delta, but after writing down the numbers and reviewing them it appears that the spool has decreased that delta. By no means is this scientific and there are probably a whole lot of details I am missing. I will think about it further and post back my thoughts, but this is what I have so far. I would prefer to have data logged the data but I am not that savvy with the tuner or the monitors yet.
post #77 of 77 Old 03-17-2019, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Good ol Apple doing all the thinking for us again....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode