• 3 Post By bismic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 02-12-2019, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation High Pressure Oil Rail

ok so i have a 2006 6.0. about a month ago i took the engine out and did ARP headstuds, ARP connecting rods, EGR delete. once i put it all back together the truck ran fine. a week later i was towing my 4 seater can am to my ranch and all of the sudden the truck stalled. i tried starting the truck again and it just wouldnt start. i had to get the truck towed home. my dad owns a diesel shop and his diesel mechanic told me that the IPC sensor had something in it causing the truck to stall and not start back up. he also told me that my high pressure oil rails were leaking. i bought the new HPOR nipples and O rings as well as the injector rings. but once those parts came in he told me i need entirely new oil rails because the rail itself was leaking. how do i get these oil rails. and is there any way that i dont have to pay navistar/ ford 1000$ for one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-12-2019, 03:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
How many miles do you have on it? Those wavy oil rails typically don't develop leaks in the rail plugs (even the nipple cup leaks aren't all that common). Even if they do leak in some of the rail plugs, you can take them to a hydraulic shop and get o-rings for them. Now, the dummy plugs and the standpipes do leak. Change them out to the updated parts, but the small plugs and end plug do not typically leak.

If you are dead set on a new rail, the part number is:
5C3Z-9T287-B

It is $588 at AutoNation White Bear Lake.
https://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...r=5C3Z-9T287-B

So you can get two for $1280

Also I wanted to give Mike ( @fordsvtparts ) a "shout-out" once again! He helped me w/ some obscure part numbers on VERY short notice! Thanks Mike!!!

Edit:

Each "late 04 and up wavy rail" has 4 end caps, two Accoustic Wave Attenuation (AWA) plugs (small one on the wavy rail component, larger one on the straight rail component), and two miscellaneous plugs by the AWA. One of these is on the side of the wavy rail and the smaller plug is at a 45 degree angle (pointing up) on the side of the wavy rail. Lastly, the drivers side (left) rail has a plug where the ICP sensor is located on the passenger side (right) rail.

picture 41 in the link below:
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/forddo...eTableBook.pdf

note - The AWA plugs are on the bottom of the oil rail and in the middle.
fordsvtparts and BTL like this.

Last edited by Heavy_GD; 02-13-2019 at 05:43 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bismic For This Useful Post:
fordsvtparts (02-15-2019)
post #3 of 8 Old 02-12-2019, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Hpw many miles do you have on it? Those wavy oil rails typically don't develop leaks in the plugs. Even if they do, you can take them to a hydraulic shop and get o-rings for them.

If you are dead set on a new rail, the part number is:
5C3Z-9T287-B

It is $588 at AutoNation White Bear Lake.

Also I wanted to give Mike (@fordsvtparts) a "shout-out" once again! He helped me w/ some obscure part numbers on VERY short notice! Thanks Mike!!!
i dont want to spend money on a new rail if i dont have to the truck has 184K miles on it and it was on the brink of blowing a head. that why i did the full engine "bulletproof" ive looked everywhere and everyone says just to replace the nipples a o rings. but my diesel mechanic says its leaking through the actual nut that holds down the nipples.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-13-2019, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,094 Times in 2,003 Posts
Mentioned: 421 Post(s)
Quoted: 3107 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Well, for one you cannot be bulletproof with just heads and studs.

Two, you clearly have a leak and that pressure is needed to start.
Its not uncommon for the orings to be pinched or ripped on install, but in reality if the rail is leaking then it needs to be replaced.

Not sure what else you want to hear... @fordsvtparts can give you a great price on the parts.

GD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy_GD For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 8 Old 02-13-2019, 06:01 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Did the diesel mechanic have hands on the truck? I'm wondering if something like "The ICP could cause the problem changed to the ICP caused the problem," as it was passed from person to person. I could say what I think it is with what you said, but that is just a guess, although there may be a 10% chance I get it right. These things are super expensive to fix, so need to get it correct.
Heavy_GD likes this.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:

Good 6.0 Reading:
post #6 of 8 Old 02-13-2019, 06:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1rkland View Post
i dont want to spend money on a new rail if i dont have to the truck has 184K miles on it and it was on the brink of blowing a head. that why i did the full engine "bulletproof" ive looked everywhere and everyone says just to replace the nipples a o rings. but my diesel mechanic says its leaking through the actual nut that holds down the nipples.
Well, you asked how you got the oil rails and how not to pay $1000 each. Saved you $400 pointing you to Auto Nation White Bear Lake (you can call them and ask for Internet sales if you don't like my link), pretty good IMO ..............

We can't help you with what you need. If a mechanic has a valve cover off and says the oil rail is damaged (I guess it is the threads at a nipple cup?), then ask him to show you so you can see/hear the leak (w/ air pressure on the system).

Other than that, not much help the internet can be.
fordsvtparts, kcoyner and Heavy_GD like this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bismic For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 8 Old 02-15-2019, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 757 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thank you everyone!

We are Autonation Ford of White Bear Lake selling all OEM Ford parts at employee prices (formerly Tousley)

Call us at 1-800-328-9552 (be sure to mention this website when calling)
OR check out our website

I'll meet or or beat any price on OEM parts
post #8 of 8 Old 02-19-2019, 04:08 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
If you aren't confident in what he's telling you then you have the wrong guy working on it. OTOH, nobody can change what you need.

k

2005 F-350 Lariat DRW. WAAAAYYYY to much for 500 character limit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode