hard time towing - Page 3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 33 Old 02-05-2019, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I really don't see that being true. The reason I bought this truck is I know who had it and where the work has been performed. I don't drive it as a race truck.
I have my Chevelle if I want to go fast. Truck really is a cherry, very well taken care of. Oil changed every 5000, antifreeze every 10,000. Diff and trans fluid every 50,000. Everytime I drive it I don't shut it off till EGT'S are below 400. Oil looks great, zero smoke from exhaust. Mechanically, I feel it's still strong. I really do think it's something small. Maybe tune, maybe boost leak. And maybe my expectations are too high. And I can be ok with the truck if that's all she's got. But I read numerous times of other 6.0 owners trucks pulling more weight and performing what seems to be better than mine. So I'm not scared to get a little dirty and try to find a leak or spend a little money on different tunes to see if that helps. Just want get gain more knowledge about this truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 Old 02-05-2019, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

But, the whole brake thing has been taken care of already. Everything new all the way around. I did have a stuck caliper about 2 months ago.
R&Rpowerstroke likes this.
post #23 of 33 Old 02-05-2019, 06:44 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
To clarify again if the skidsteer weighs basically 12k and you are doing bumper pull or gooseneck? any trailer rated at 12k and above is gonna be heavy 3-6k etc. so you are hauling a skidsteer with assuming a bucket, fuel/oil and the trailer. a 12k skidsteer is probably closer to 13.5k with bucket and fuel, then a trailer weighing at minimum 3500lbs your already pulling 16k plus.

That's basically what the truck has to be honest. Also regarding the ficm tune. It gets things hot! anything above an atlas 40 for your situation is probably gonna get egts up to high to really benefit from the power. You could just send in your ficm to flash it for an atlas40 but its not going to make a noticeable difference with that much weight.

And again comparing to a 6.7L cummins isn't fair. that's like getting a 2005 5.9l and comparing to a 2011+ 6.7L powerstroke. Unless that cummins has 10k into it with tuning, injectors, engine, transmission it simply wont keep up with even a stock 6.7L.

Enjoy the truck because it sounds like its running great, its just a lot of weight for tunes and a turbo on that platform etc. I've had three 6.0Ls, a 2004 f350, 2006 f350, and 04 excursion and they would all walk circles around my current 7.3l even with tunes, intake, exhaust, and aftermarket turbo compressor wheel. Just the way it works etc. Keep on taking care of your truck.

ps 10k miles is way to soon to change your coolant save some money and extend it to 30k at least. originally most if not Ford agreed on 30k interval if you are running ford gold premium.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 33 Old 02-05-2019, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just to chime in on this. My 05 with stock fuel and a KC stage 2 turbo, 4 in exhaust and the AFE CAI seems to handle a load like that just fine. We have a skid steer with bucket, tree puller, and grapple bucket all on the trailer and hooked to the truck and the whole thing weighs in at 24k.

Granted we only haul like that close to home and only farm to farm but I have not had terrible trouble maintaining speed. It does require to get the foot in it on hills but 60 mph is doable. I also run the TSD tow tune I had written and that is the best tow tune I've had.

From the way I had it explained to me when I ordered that tune, the tuner told me he does pull quite as much fuel out as other guys. That helps with power while towing but also a hotter exhaust temp. I can usually reach the 1250 degree mark on a big hill but no problems otherwise.
post #25 of 33 Old 02-05-2019, 11:54 AM
Old School

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbnw15 View Post
Just to chime in on this. My 05 with stock fuel and a KC stage 2 turbo, 4 in exhaust and the AFE CAI seems to handle a load like that just fine. We have a skid steer with bucket, tree puller, and grapple bucket all on the trailer and hooked to the truck and the whole thing weighs in at 24k.

Granted we only haul like that close to home and only farm to farm but I have not had terrible trouble maintaining speed. It does require to get the foot in it on hills but 60 mph is doable. I also run the TSD tow tune I had written and that is the best tow tune I've had.

From the way I had it explained to me when I ordered that tune, the tuner told me he does pull quite as much fuel out as other guys. That helps with power while towing but also a hotter exhaust temp. I can usually reach the 1250 degree mark on a big hill but no problems otherwise.
I have a similar setup, except I have a stage 1 KC, and don't have issues towing using the TSD tow tune. Granted, I'm not pulling 24k, but I have pulled anywhere between 10k-15k and it has preformed well. No issue maintaining speed here either and EGTs rarely over 1150-1200.

EDIT: this is using the gooseneck

2006 Ford F250 CCSB FX4 6 Speed Manual
KC Stage 1 Turbo, Spearco Intercooler, SCT X4 w/ Custom TSD Tunes, ARP Studs, South Bend Dual Disc Clutch SFDD3250-6.0, AirDog II-4G Pump, AFE HD Momentum CAI, AFE CAC Pipes, AFE Intake Horn, AFE Front and Rear Dif Covers, Magnaflow 4" Turbo Back, EGR Delete, Sinister 200 Amp Alternator, Sinister Coolant Filter, BPD Radiator, BPD Water Pump, Big 3 Upgrade, Blue Spring, EDGE Insight CTS2, Morimoto BI-LED Projector Retrofit, Morimoto LED Fog Lights, Bilstein 5100s
Fast, cheap, reliable...pick two.

Last edited by Chris; 02-05-2019 at 11:58 AM.
post #26 of 33 Old 02-05-2019, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Man, didn't know all these different tunes existed. All I've ever been told about was Innovative Diesel tunes. Worth checking into. But a question I have, does it hurt to keep changing tunes to find what works best for me? Of course the pocket book? You guys have been great for all the info. Ok, one more stupid question, I've read a little about the ported intake, is it for competition only or will I benefit from it?
post #27 of 33 Old 02-05-2019, 12:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpjmjb View Post
Man, didn't know all these different tunes existed. All I've ever been told about was Innovative Diesel tunes. Worth checking into. But a question I have, does it hurt to keep changing tunes to find what works best for me? Of course the pocket book? You guys have been great for all the info. Ok, one more stupid question, I've read a little about the ported intake, is it for competition only or will I benefit from it?
If you don't allow your transmission time to relearn than yes you can have issues. I have read anywhere between 100-200 miles before driving to hard or towing anything. I will admit I have had to change my tune and tow right away but it was my fault and I would not do it again unless absolutely no other choice. Also once you read on these trucks you will notice a trend that not all tunes and not all tuners work the same on everyone's trucks. Meaning just because my truck runs great on GH doesn't mean yours will, not sure why this is. Recently everyone has been extremely happy with TSD, I will always recommend GH, and some are completely happy with IDP. What Heavy put is also very correct about underlying issues and making sure everything is perfect with your truck. After I blew my head gaskets I learned all I could, and being on stock fuel and stock sticks and watching everything from fuel pressure to coolant pressure I am confident in my truck towing. Keep us posted on any leaks you find, and what was actually done to the top end? Were the heads machined, or was it just studded with new gaskets?
post #28 of 33 Old 02-05-2019, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Very true, I come from dirt track racing and know right off hand that every truck , car is different. But I will give more time for it to learn. But will keep you all updated.
R&Rpowerstroke likes this.
post #29 of 33 Old 02-05-2019, 06:10 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpjmjb View Post
Father in law said it was a little under 12k skid steer. But I will try in tow mode next time. Definitely will check gearhead out too. But this truck cause I was buying a bigger 5th wheel camper and figured this truck would do the trick. I want to be able to cruise down the highway 70+.
Must be one of those "Big Muthas"! If memory serves my CAT 236B operating weight is about 7K. Operating weight of CATs biggest is less than 11K.

k

2005 F-350 Lariat DRW. WAAAAYYYY to much for 500 character limit
post #30 of 33 Old 02-05-2019, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It is, it's the biggest John Deere makes. Plus it has the bigger bucket and he has more weight in the back cause he loads in his dump truck. Oh yeah, he has tracks on it also. It's pretty fancy. Kinda of nice cause I get to use it when I want.
kcoyner likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode