Fuel filter losing prime - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 11-14-2018, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel filter losing prime

I had a sump installed on my fuel tank. The old fuel line with the blue plastic tab on it was capped since the tank was not removed for the sump installation. I ran 2 tanks of fuel through it and just topped it off for the third time. I drove about 10 highway miles, stopped for 20 min and found a big puddle of fuel when I returned to the truck. Drove it home while it was leaking, put a clamp on the line to stop the flow of fuel. The guy who installed the sump came over and put a different cap on the line and it stopped leaking. Went to drive it to work next morning, got about a mile from the house and truck sputtered and quit while driving. Got it home and pulled the fuel filter cap off and found no fuel in the filter housing. Turned the key and fuel pump pumped the bowl full, as soon as the key was turned off, the fuel started draining down to empty the bowl. But it didnít go on the ground. Not sure where itís going but it wonít keep the fuel in the filter housing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 11-14-2018, 08:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
It's running back into the tank, likely via the return line.
I thought the upper filter was supposed to have a check valve to help prevent that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 37 Old 11-15-2018, 05:39 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
The check valve is located at the engine head, after both filters. There is an additional check valve located in the HFCM. The Check valves are the circles with the triangles.

I think whatever leak you saw is letting the fuel drain back into the tank. If you can find and fix that leak, I believe your problems will go away. My guess is the leak would be in the sump pump, since the work was done there, but it could be anywhere. I also am not sure the lines need to be primed with fuel to allow the pump to work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6.0 Fuel System.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	710693  

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:

Good 6.0 Reading:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 11-15-2018, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
In 2004 there was a goose-neck (or trap) installed in the fuel feed tubing to the regulator on the secondary fuel filter. It was installed so that the secondary fuel bowl would not drain down.

Do you have an 03 or early 04 engine?
mhatlen likes this.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

post #5 of 37 Old 11-15-2018, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

The fuel pump is getting fuel to the secondary filter bowl and it will overflow all over the place if I leave the key on with the cap off. As soon as I turn the key off, the fuel drains out of the bowl followed by a weak hissing sound like it’s sucking air after all the fuel is out of the bowl.
My truck is a 2006.

Last edited by Whitewater25; 11-15-2018 at 06:21 AM.
post #6 of 37 Old 11-15-2018, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
There is a duckbill type valve on the fuel return line to the tank. I wonder if it is allowing air to leak back.

I thought it was fairly low in the tank (submerged) though.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

Last edited by bismic; 11-15-2018 at 10:44 AM.
post #7 of 37 Old 11-15-2018, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
I would think you would need to have a leak up top where air is getting in, for it to drain back.
Think of the straw effect.
Regardless, not too terribly hard to pull the sender and look.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

post #8 of 37 Old 11-15-2018, 12:27 PM

Thanked 1,822 Times in 1,766 Posts
Mentioned: 705 Post(s)
Quoted: 3955 Post(s)
are you having issues or just noticed the fuel bowl draining ?

did the old fuel tank supply line get capped so low outside the tank that it was causing a siphon effect?

have you tried this test with the fuel filler cap off ?

and in case you have not noticed the fuel pump shuts off on it's own after key on but no start ( not that this effects you but just fyi )

6.0 flush pdf
post #9 of 37 Old 11-15-2018, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
are you having issues or just noticed the fuel bowl draining ?

did the old fuel tank supply line get capped so low outside the tank that it was causing a siphon effect?

have you tried this test with the fuel filler cap off ?

and in case you have not noticed the fuel pump shuts off on it's own after key on but no start ( not that this effects you but just fyi )
The truck wonít run is the issue.

The old line is capped off just above the water separator fuel filter

Yes- thatís how I know the fuel is draining out to the point the bowl is empty. If I leave the key on with the cap off, it will pump fuel to fill the bowl and then it overflows and continues until the key is turned off

Yes I did notice the pump shuts off however thatís not the case when the cap is off. Maybe itís because it doesnít build any pressure with the cap off.
post #10 of 37 Old 11-18-2018, 09:08 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewater25 View Post
The truck wonít run is the issue.

The old line is capped off just above the water separator fuel filter

Yes- thatís how I know the fuel is draining out to the point the bowl is empty. If I leave the key on with the cap off, it will pump fuel to fill the bowl and then it overflows and continues until the key is turned off

Yes I did notice the pump shuts off however thatís not the case when the cap is off. Maybe itís because it doesnít build any pressure with the cap off.
I noticed my 07 fuel bowl was empty when I changed filter, with longer crank times after sitting. I just bought the truck and was working through the to do list. I installed the blue spring kit and noticed the rubber seal on plunger was deformed looked original. No more long crank times for me, haven't pulled fuel filter though.

2007 F250 Extended Cab 4x4 6.0L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode