What would happen if dirt fell into the holes under the intake manifold? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 10-18-2018, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What would happen if dirt fell into the holes under the intake manifold?

Asking for a friend

I'm hoping I didn't actually do this, but I got to wondering. DieselTechRon makes a big point in
about keeping things clean and even hints at possible catastrophic engine failure should you get crap in the holes after removing the intake manifold. What would happen? I don't know enough about the engine to know. In fact, while I know that those holes eventually lead to the combustion chambers, I don't really know what's right down those holes. Can one of you braniacs enlighten me please?

Thanks,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-18-2018, 04:55 PM

Thanked 1,818 Times in 1,762 Posts
Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 3930 Post(s)
you get out the shop vac

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old 10-18-2018, 04:56 PM

right down those "holes" is the valves then the piston tops and cylinder walls
SparkyF250 likes this.

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 10-18-2018, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
you get out the shop vac
Haha, fair enough. But suppose you don't realize you did it.
post #5 of 20 Old 10-18-2018, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
right down those "holes" is the valves then the piston tops and cylinder walls
Would a bit of dirt down there foul up the valves and/or pistons badly?
post #6 of 20 Old 10-18-2018, 05:07 PM

can't make a promise that it would not hurt but most small debris is flushed with the exhaust stroke

never hurts to shop vac as part of the repair process and then tape the intake holes shut untill its time to reinstall the manifold

6.0 flush pdf
post #7 of 20 Old 10-18-2018, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Depends what falls in there, size, material, etc. Something soft, like lint from a shop rag, or a minor quantity of dust, nothing major, it'll get blown out the exhaust once you start it up. Sure, you might incur some miniscule amount of additional wear to the cylinder wall, but barring a freak scenario, life will go on as usual. Something hard like a nut or bolt, if not removed before the engine is started... Well you've got issues. Worse case, the foreign object drops into the cylinder, gets smashed when the piston comes up, breaks a valve, punches a hole through the piston, now broken valve head and other metal debris gets mashed into the head, scores the cylinder wall, somehow you end up with oil contamination and lunch the turbo bearings, etc etc. You're looking at a complete motor rebuild, hopefully the block is reusable, maybe a good machine shop can repair the combustion chamber of the head.

Moral of the story, don't let stuff fall in the engine! Stuff clean rags in the intake ports, or put a layer or two of blue tape over them if it's going to be sitting open a while.

'96 F350 CCLB SRW 4x4 7.3 4.10 - AFE Intake, billet wheel, T500 HPOP, 3" downpipe, Magnaflow 4" full exhaust, DP Tuner F5
post #8 of 20 Old 10-18-2018, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
can't make a promise that it would not hurt but most small debris is flushed with the exhaust stroke

never hurts to shop vac as part of the repair process and then tape the intake holes shut untill its time to reinstall the manifold
It's a good idea. I think I will start doing that as part of the routine.
post #9 of 20 Old 10-18-2018, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdalocal View Post
Depends what falls in there, size, material, etc. Something soft, like lint from a shop rag, or a minor quantity of dust, nothing major, it'll get blown out the exhaust once you start it up. Sure, you might incur some miniscule amount of additional wear to the cylinder wall, but barring a freak scenario, life will go on as usual. Something hard like a nut or bolt, if not removed before the engine is started... Well you've got issues. Worse case, the foreign object drops into the cylinder, gets smashed when the piston comes up, breaks a valve, punches a hole through the piston, now broken valve head and other metal debris gets mashed into the head, scores the cylinder wall, somehow you end up with oil contamination and lunch the turbo bearings, etc etc. You're looking at a complete motor rebuild, hopefully the block is reusable, maybe a good machine shop can repair the combustion chamber of the head.

Moral of the story, don't let stuff fall in the engine! Stuff clean rags in the intake ports, or put a layer or two of blue tape over them if it's going to be sitting open a while.
Yikes, thanks for the vivid description. Can I inspect them effectively with a flashlight looking in? Or does it go on around a corner?
post #10 of 20 Old 10-18-2018, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmulcahy View Post
Yikes, thanks for the vivid description. Can I inspect them effectively with a flashlight looking in? Or does it go on around a corner?
Not sure about the 6.0, never worked on one, but you may be able to. Take a look and see, if you see something round (the intake valve), and nothing sitting in there, you're fine. If you can't see the valve, you'll need to try using a vacuum with a smaller hose to suck any debris out. After the vacuum, you can try using compressed air to blow out anything left in there. Note, if you had the rotten luck to drop something down a port with an open valve, you may have a harder time getting it out.

A mechanic I worked with swore by blowing out the intake ports every time he had an engine open to the point where something could've gone in, not only because he may have inadvertently dropped something in there, but also because it's so easy for someone else to sabotage the whole motor. So easy for someone to drop in a small nut as they walk by while you're away using the restroom or something, and unless you positively checked, it could easily be blamed on your work.

'96 F350 CCLB SRW 4x4 7.3 4.10 - AFE Intake, billet wheel, T500 HPOP, 3" downpipe, Magnaflow 4" full exhaust, DP Tuner F5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode