LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 56 Old 10-08-2018, 12:32 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Ford View Post
So just as a quick check say in a parking lot where I don't have a jack, I could go under the truck and if the front hubs are not locked then the front driveshaft should spin, but if they are locked (even though the dash is in 2wd) it should not spin, correct?
I never tried that. But I think it might be hard to turn those shafts by hand. The idea is to turn the wheel when it's off the ground and see if the shaft rotates with it. If you lock the hubs, even though the dash switch is still in 2WD. You engaged the shafts so the shafts would still turn, but technically it's still disconnected at the transfer case so it would still be 2WD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 56 Old 10-08-2018, 05:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyF250 View Post
Why do that? You'll be dragging the front axle all the time. The only way I'd do that is if I was in a 4wd situation and my ESOF was leaking (like mine does)
I have had my truck nearly 5 years put around 55K on it, and hand calculated my MPG on every fill up. I have tested it many times and I have came to the conclusion that having the hubs locked makes absolutely no difference in fuel mileage. Also Jeeps and Dodges have full-time hubs so the front axle is always spinning and they last just as long as ours do. Leaving the hubs unlocked for long periods of time can cause the u-joints to seize up. However one advantage of locking hubs is if you ever break something in the front driveline you can unlock the hubs and still drive it.

00 f250 ext. cab, lb, 4x4, 158,000, zf 6 speed, South Bend 1944ofe, 4 in lift, 315/75/16 Courser MXTs, rear Detroit locker, PMF traction bars, Full Force 180/80 injectors, php hydra, Riff Raff frx, Riff Raff billet compressor wheel, Dieselsite pre pump kit, Dorman up pipes,IAH delete, ccv mod, 6637 filter, Auto Meter gauges, scan guage 2, 4 in diamod eye straight pipe 6 in tip.
post #53 of 56 Old 10-08-2018, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Ford View Post
So just as a quick check say in a parking lot where I don't have a jack, I could go under the truck and if the front hubs are not locked then the front driveshaft should spin, but if they are locked (even though the dash is in 2wd) it should not spin, correct?
That is correct, but if only one hub is locked you can still spin the front driveshaft, so when you do that look at the font axles on both sides to see if both of them are spinning. If only one is spinning lock the hub on that one, and see if the other one spins when you turn the driveshaft.

00 f250 ext. cab, lb, 4x4, 158,000, zf 6 speed, South Bend 1944ofe, 4 in lift, 315/75/16 Courser MXTs, rear Detroit locker, PMF traction bars, Full Force 180/80 injectors, php hydra, Riff Raff frx, Riff Raff billet compressor wheel, Dieselsite pre pump kit, Dorman up pipes,IAH delete, ccv mod, 6637 filter, Auto Meter gauges, scan guage 2, 4 in diamod eye straight pipe 6 in tip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 56 Old 10-09-2018, 05:38 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,081 Times in 1,009 Posts
Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00t444e View Post
I have had my truck nearly 5 years put around 55K on it, and hand calculated my MPG on every fill up. I have tested it many times and I have came to the conclusion that having the hubs locked makes absolutely no difference in fuel mileage. Also Jeeps and Dodges have full-time hubs so the front axle is always spinning and they last just as long as ours do. Leaving the hubs unlocked for long periods of time can cause the u-joints to seize up. However one advantage of locking hubs is if you ever break something in the front driveline you can unlock the hubs and still drive it.
I and the accepted laws of physics disagree with you. LOL But we've had that argument before, so let's just drink on it.
mhatlen, SparkyF250 and jokester00 like this.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #55 of 56 Old 10-10-2018, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Garage
Well would you imagine that....2 days go by, a little over 300 miles and my hubs are still unlocked! Not the biggest fan of this look, however it seems like it's working.

SparkyF250, trife96 and voodooridr like this.

2005 F-350 Lariat, studded, Sinister diesel EGR delete, Sinister diesel coolant filter, MBRP 4" straight pipe, Banks ram air intake, SCT X4 tuner, blue spring, EGT sensor, fuel pressure sensor, 4" lift, 08 style mirrors, 35x12.5R20 Toyo RT

SOLD:
2006 Ford F-250 King Ranch FX4 crew cab short bed
4" flood lights for back up lights, High idle switch, 2008-16 tail lights, 2011-16 style 6.0 Powerstroke badging, Edge Insight CTS2, Blue spring mod, Viofo A119 dash cam, 275/70R18 BFG KO2, 2017 style mirrors, 2.5" lift coils, F-350 blocks in the rear, Riffraff CAC boots, Backup camera with spot lights in the rear, SCT X4 tuner, Fab Fours black steel series bumper with pre-runner guard, Mishimoto coolant filter, 4" Diamond eye turbo back straight pipe exhaust, 18x8.5 American Eagle Alloy Hardrock series 0168, 7.3L Fan clutch (Hayden 2835), Spyder LED tube projector headlights

2011 F-350 King Ranch FX4 crew cab long bed 325/65R18 BFG KO2, 18x8.5 American Eagle Alloy Hardrock series 0168, Steelcraft Elevation Bullnose Front Bumper, 20" front light bar, MBRP 4" DPF delete competition pipe, SCT GTX tuner with Tyrant tunes, Rough Country 1.5" leveling kit, Auxbeam LED headlights and fog lights, platinum style grill, black mirror lights
post #56 of 56 Old 10-10-2018, 04:37 PM

Thanked 1,843 Times in 1,787 Posts
Mentioned: 715 Post(s)
Quoted: 4004 Post(s)

6.0 flush pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode