Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.0l CA Emissions/Performance Question

7K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  JustinOOO9 
#1 ·
How much modification can be done and still be able to pass SMOG in California? I still have my EGR and CAT :frown2:. Would I be able to upgrade my turbo/injectors and still pass? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
I believe since they do a visual inspection under the hood for the stuff that is supposed to be there, they wouldn't see any mods to the turbo or injectors. OTOH, if the mods cause it to smoke too long during the snap tests, it could be a fail. It is only supposed to smoke for so long. I think this is a subjective test at the discretion of the tech.

#3 ·
I’m in California and I removed my EGR and yesterday I installed a 4 inch turbo back exhaust with no cat. Next year when I have to smog I will just put both back on. Wouldn’t take more then a hour to put them back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#4 ·
So what if I wanted to upgrade my FICM? I know they plug into my OBDII port so I don't want any of the upgrades showing on their computer, if that makes sense. I am looking into a KC Turbo, Warren Injectors 175/30, BPD FICM, and a FASS lift pump. I know the turbo, injectors, and lift pump are going to be under the "visual", I just am trying not to end up in the position of every 2 years taking things apart and putting them back together.

#5 ·
Hollow out the cat to make it look stock and return all tuning to stock when you go to smog and you will pass. The computer has to show you have a functional egr and it can't smoke excessivley when they do the throttle snap test. I want injectors too and I will have to have a tune made that will have a egr function normal and also pull fuel so they do not create a lot of smoke when they test it otherwise they can fail you.

Reactions: john galt
#6 ·
Just had mine smogged last month, FICM programming doesn't show up on the test

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

#7 · (Edited)
it depends completely on the smog shop you go to.
the one i used did a very precursory inspection quick snap test and passed it
my son had an 03 he took to a different place both in excremento he got screwed and had to return three times and his WAS stock...
it all depends on the quality of the breakfast the idiot playing god with the power of the imbeciles in gov on that day at that place.

Reactions: kcoyner
#8 ·
Ya ficm programming won’t show up be cause it doesn’t effect egr function but if you run a hot ficm tune then it will smoke on the snap test and you will fail. Atlas 40 shouldn’t be a problem but if you have anything above that it will puff enough that you will probably fail.

#9 ·
So if I get bigger injectors I just need to have a FICM tune that will pull back fuel for the test? And obviously put my stock tune back on as well.

#10 · (Edited)
No you will need a pcm tune that pulls back fuel and makes your egr functional because most programmers turn egr function off when they tune. Your FICM tune I wouldn't worry about if you have one unless you have one that is really hot and dumps a lot of fuel that makes it smoke all the time. I have had FICM tunes like econ, and atlas 40 both installed at different times when I had my truck smogged and have passed with both but I also have stock injectors.

#16 ·
Yep and that is all subjective

Reactions: SuperCrutyPS
#21 ·
Yup, they're looking for ZERO smoke

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

#22 ·
that is not the law YET but yes they want zero smoke.
if the guy who works at that smog place drives a toyscrota or a pius... find another smog shop :nod:

if i remember right the official guide is it cat smoke for more than 2 seconds or should clear in 3 or some such and there is an official opacity rating and lots of stupid in the law as usual but the test is totally subjective of course then you get some of those guys who are idiots and fail them just to get a resmog or because someone rolled coal on them once in the past or they just hate the smell fo diesel and then the shops that show reason
and actually follow the stupid law as written are punished for passing too many by comparison and eventually some dip chit like newsome GOD FORBID THAT AZZHAT GETS ELECTED decides to out law all diesels even personal vehicles that dont carry the dpf bs and of course they get a multi million dollar contribution to their foundation which is nothing more than a way to wash dirty money for passing favors to other corrupt and rotten criminals and...well you get the idea.
so expect anything older than an 08 to be outlawed eventually
because freedom is against the law and they need their bribe money to keep rolling in miserable corrupt criminal bastages...

long story shoert find a smog shop that isnt anal retentive and idiotic about diesels talk to guys at the gad [ump when you fuel up with other diesels talk to guys about their trucks and where they go at the market or anywhere you go for that matter.
find and support people who are doing it right because our freedoms are being eroded and we need tp support others capable of reason

end rant :look:
now i gotta go clean carpets :D

#24 ·
Why not try this:

1. get the truck bulletproofed with a bulletproof egr cooler no need for an egr delete.

2. edge insight monitor with egt probe (unplug the obd2 plug in and pull the monitor out before smog) they tend to look more with an obdII device plugged in and then trying to explain to them its a monitor not a programmer is usually pointless.

3. stick with stock injectors and turbo

4. get a ficm tuner-ficm tunes can run really hot egts combined with an ecm tune so a egt guage is a must.

5. run custom tunes-You can run custom tunes and trust me you will love a 100hp tune then the month before your smogs due turn the truck to stock

6. hollowed out cat

7. CARB approve after market intake probably s&b

That combination alone will be a really fun, drivable, towable truck and still pass smog. The 6.0L stock is much faster than even a tunes 7.3l.

*I swore they made custom tunes that have egr on for smog with larger injectors but maybe a crackdown in the smog station software eliminated that? basically people had their smog tune with egr function turned on, low fuel for reduced smoke and they passed then when they left they ran power tunes

#27 ·
Well I use the SCT "Performance" tune currently and I like it but it leaves me wanting more. Would going custom get me more? I feel like instead of getting a 100hp tune while stock I could get upwards of 200hp with an upgraded turbo an injectors. Then I would be REALY happy :woot:

#25 · (Edited)
Greetings from Northern California.

Throwing this in to hopefully save someone else some time

I have an 03 with stock injectors, stock turbo and intact EGR system. I run an Edge CTS2. I had to smog it last month (like everyone else...), so I returned changed the tune from the CTS "Eco" mode back to the factory tune and took it in to my smog guy. On the 1st test, he failed it because it was throwing P1000 (my bad, I was stupid and did not check codes before taking it in). P1000 will be thrown every time the firmware is rewritten from what I understand, until it is driven enough do the emissions system self-diagnosis. This was new from the last time it was smogged 2 years ago, BTW.

So, I took it out, and drove it, and periodically stopped and checked/cleared codes. It turns out that clearing the codes *restarts* the entire process , so I was working against the whole process (DUH). After it figured this out, I put another 150 miles on it, and the P1000 went away, and it passed.

So, if you are running a tune, set it back to factory default, drive it for 200 miles or so, and *then*t take it to smog , but DO NOT reset codes.

He also asked if i had "chip" under the hood, BTW, which I'm assuming means a modded FICM.

#28 ·
I feel your desire for power but you have a big state with very strict emission laws. I lived there from nov 2008 until Feb of this year before I went back home. First in Northern Bay area in Fairfield CA then north of Sac when I worked for the state of CA. The software used at STAR and referre stations is getting more advanced and just isn't worth not being able to register your daily driver truck for a turbo and injectors.

reach out to some 6.0l tuners like innovative, 1023, php, dp tuner, and so on and see if any make a smog tune for inector/tubro combos with egr on for CA smogs. If they do you are probably golden.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.