Towing temps mid 90's ambient temps - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 09-09-2018, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Towing temps mid 90's ambient temps

Ok guys I just got back from a beach trip with my 5th wheel. So on the trip the truck for the majority of the time would run ECT 215-221 and EOT 225-234. A few times would get to 227 ECT. This was all on fairly flat ground. On the trip back it would do the same thing but wanted to run 222ECT and 232 EOT on The highway. I pulled over at one point because I was concerned it was running to hot. What is everyone's take on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-09-2018, 04:51 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
I think you're OK. I can only compare this to my BPD oil cooler towing in AZ in temps up to 110. What you have is not that different from what I have. It may be about 10° hotter, but that is subjective. If the fan kicks in like a jet engine at 220° ECT, you're fine. My assumption is the higher temps were up a slight incline. I would watch it to make sure it does not go up. IMO not worth the effort of chasing down what it could be.

These trucks are built to handle temps like that. Especially with a good synthetic oil. It should not see those temps unless towing. It won't defuel until EOT of 254°.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good 6.0 Reading:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 09-09-2018, 05:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I pull a fairly light 5th wheel and see an average of 205-215 coolant and oil 210-220 on flat ground in the California Valley heat it climbs up fairly quickly when I am in elevation in the heat but it really depends on the weight of the 5th wheel mine is right around 10000 loaded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 09-09-2018, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

I am going to say mine is roughly 10,000 - 12,000. Just on flat ground it seemed hard to keep it cooled trying to stay the speed limit.
post #5 of 16 Old 09-09-2018, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

What are ways to get these numbers down I would like to go to the mountains and dont wanna have to 30 just to keep it cool and dont wanna have to pull over to let it cool down. Would a egr delete help.
post #6 of 16 Old 09-10-2018, 01:23 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
EOT/ECT

On my last trip from Virginia to Ohio, pulling a 8K travel trailer up over the Blue Ridge (some long 7% grades) I ran between 195-212 degrees on ECT. I could tell you what my EOT was but the needle never moved from just below center. The truck is stock, however I'm in the process of some serious upgrades to improve reliability and performance. It's a very low mileage 6.0 in great shape so instead of $72K for a new truck I'd rather take a good truck and make it a great truck.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-25-2019, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

Ok so I am getting ready to make a trip to the beach and I am worried about the temps again. So I have been reading some more posts and I am wondering g would I see a big difference in temps if I did the 7.3 fan clutch mod. I have read were several people have seen big differences in using this mod. To me it makes since if the fan runs faster and kick on sooner would help keep the temps down. If anyone who has done this mod please give me your opinions. I dont think I have a plugged oil cooler or a egr problem since my deltas rarely get over 10 degrees. I also plan on taking radiator out and try to flush and clean any degree that may be caked in the fins.
post #8 of 16 Old 08-25-2019, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Just do the blue wire mod and enjoy the beach.

2007 F-350 4X4 CCSB, 6.0 PSD, ZF6 Manual Trans, 3.73s, EGR and Cat improvement, Edge CTS2 with EGT and Fuel, SCT X4, PHP FICM Programmer, Sinister Adjustable Fuel Press. Cover, Ficmrepair.com batt/alt wiring upgrade, Bosch 140 amp alternator with overdrive pulley, Rotella ELC, High-Idle mod, Mishimoto coolant filter, 6.4 starter, Genex mirror w/temp and compass, Magnum RT steps, Leer 100R Shell, Custom front bumper replacement, Steelcraft Elevation rear bumper, B&W turnover ball, 4" Cat Back exhaust, JVC head unit with backup camera, '08+ towing mirrors and rear diff. cover, etc.
post #9 of 16 Old 08-25-2019, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Puppet View Post
Just do the blue wire mod and enjoy the beach.
So the blue wire mod will work just as good so what would be a good temp to cut it on like at 215.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #10 of 16 Old 08-25-2019, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlambert View Post
So the blue wire mod will work just as good so what would be a good temp to cut it on like at 215.
I think that depends on your normal operating temp and towing conditions. I'd probably flip it on at 10 degrees or so over normal and/or before a climb or long pull.

2007 F-350 4X4 CCSB, 6.0 PSD, ZF6 Manual Trans, 3.73s, EGR and Cat improvement, Edge CTS2 with EGT and Fuel, SCT X4, PHP FICM Programmer, Sinister Adjustable Fuel Press. Cover, Ficmrepair.com batt/alt wiring upgrade, Bosch 140 amp alternator with overdrive pulley, Rotella ELC, High-Idle mod, Mishimoto coolant filter, 6.4 starter, Genex mirror w/temp and compass, Magnum RT steps, Leer 100R Shell, Custom front bumper replacement, Steelcraft Elevation rear bumper, B&W turnover ball, 4" Cat Back exhaust, JVC head unit with backup camera, '08+ towing mirrors and rear diff. cover, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode