Towing temps mid 90's ambient temps - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 Old 08-26-2019, 05:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can some one explain and point me to the 'blue wire mod'?...Sounds like something I may want to do.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 08-26-2019, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4ff View Post
Can some one explain and point me to the 'blue wire mod'?...Sounds like something I may want to do.

Steve
From what I have found there is a blue wire that goes to your fan. You pretty much splice into the wire do not cut just splice. Run the wire to a toggle switch and then run another wire from the switch to ground. In my case I have to get a relay since I am going to use my uplifted switch that came with truck. That's pretty much what I understand of how it is installed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #13 of 16 Old 08-28-2019, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I switched to 7.3 fan clutch and love it. Temps are definitely lower while cruising flat ground and on hills. I didn't want to be forced to constantly watch my gauges looking for when to flip the switch. I towed 16-17k lbs in 105-115 degree heat on 4th of July weekend and was sitting around 199-205 ECT on flat ground.

On hills it holds the heat out sooner so I can pull the grades at speed for longer periods. My current tune has a lot of fuel in it causing it to get hot on hills, but it shifts so perfect that I haven't wanted to mess with it.

The noise is more apparent as rpm go up. I'd say 2100+. I've only had the fan clutch for 2 months so it's still the honeymoon stage as far as noise goes.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 Old 08-28-2019, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastTRX View Post
I switched to 7.3 fan clutch and love it. Temps are definitely lower while cruising flat ground and on hills. I didn't want to be forced to constantly watch my gauges looking for when to flip the switch. I towed 16-17k lbs in 105-115 degree heat on 4th of July weekend and was sitting around 199-205 ECT on flat ground.

On hills it holds the heat out sooner so I can pull the grades at speed for longer periods. My current tune has a lot of fuel in it causing it to get hot on hills, but it shifts so perfect that I haven't wanted to mess with it.

The noise is more apparent as rpm go up. I'd say 2100+. I've only had the fan clutch for 2 months so it's still the honeymoon stage as far as noise goes.

I think this is what I ultimately want to do I just want to see if the switch will make a difference.

post #15 of 16 Old 08-28-2019, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
You'll notice a difference. It definitely helps.

Prior to switching I installed a brand new duralast fan clutch. It was weak right away and my temps were hot. Mid trip I stopped at an auto store and grabbed a switch and wired up the blue wire mod. It helped for the sake of the trip, but the clutch died completely on the way home. Not from the blue wire mod, but from a subpar clutch.

I went 7.3 style immediately afterward, because they tend to completely lock when failing. I also wanted peace of mind knowing anybody else could get in and tow the trailer home if something happened to me.

post #16 of 16 Old 09-24-2019, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Ok so I wanted to give a update using the blue wire mod made a big difference. I pretty much could turn it on listen for it to turn on then turn it off . By time it shutdown it would be at good temps.

Sock Puppet likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode