1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 08-19-2018, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How many miles can a 6.0 go?

How many miles can a 6.0 go before it needs a rebuild. Have a 2004 Excursion with 260k on it and have not had too many problems in the last 180k I have owned it. For unscheduled maintenance I had the fuel computer, harness, 2 injectors and a seized waterpump Nothing else other than oil changes and fuel filters. It's stock, never done anything to it.

For the first 220k of it's life it didn't tow much.. ever. It only did highway miles, occasional commuting and weekend light hauling. However in the the last 5 months I have towed in excess of 10k 2x a month on a 12 hour round trip.

I do have what I think is a partially clogged injector that will make it run rough around 1500rpm but clears when rpm goes over 2200 for a few seconds. Not what I would call a big issue.

SO I put it to you diesel experts. I would rather plan for a rebuild than have it go down on our next trip across country. I love the thing and could not afford a new replacement.

How many miles can you push this engine? Would "bullet proofing" it at this point be a waste of money?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-19-2018, 03:43 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
I think the injector can quickly go sour, and if its hung open, maybe even ruin a cylinder, so best to address soon. A good bulletproofing may be around $5k, which is half price of a short block, so that's a decision you make. Not many of these trucks have 260k. Also, not many rebuild the engine but will send for a long or short block and turn their engine in for a core.

There is nothing new manufacture on the market like an excursion now, so you will not be in a SUV and tow 10k if you replace it with a new vehicle.

For about $210 a year I get AAA towing, which includes a separate tow for the trailer if I break down with 100 miles on each vehicle. Depending on where you go, you may want to think of something like that if Bulletproofing or a short block is not an option.

I think you are doing a lot of towing now.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good 6.0 Reading:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-19-2018, 03:44 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Took my 2006 to 289k modded and deleted when I sold it. No issues.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 08-19-2018, 05:00 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
I second the AAA membership. A must for 6.0 owners! ROFLMAO!! Seriously though, I'd get that injector fixed up and just start saving up some dough. Something will probably come up. It's not that bad if you're prepared.

k

2005 F-350 Lariat DRW. WAAAAYYYY to much for 500 character limit
post #5 of 15 Old 08-19-2018, 05:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Hopefully you have switched to a diesel rated ELC coolant already.

Also, hopefully you have upgraded the STC fitting, the EGR cooler, the standpipes and the dummy plugs.

After that, install a sensor and gauge and monitor fuel pressure. It is VERY important to keeping the injectors working. So is good fuel, OEM fuel filters, good oil, OEM oil filters, and a proper oil change interval.

Keep your alternator and batteries healthy so your FICM doesn't fail. I had mine upgraded proactively AND watch system voltages. Had a FICM fail early on at around 50k miles, haven't had one since upgrading the FICM and alternator and being better at maintaining batteries.

Do all that and clean your turbo at first sign of it sticking and you should be pretty darn reliable.

That said, at some point the injectors will need to be replaced. That is $1700 in parts alone. It is just part of owning a high mileage diesel. I am at 205k and have the original injectors. Hopefully will make it to 300k.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

post #6 of 15 Old 08-19-2018, 11:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I’m at 268k, I just replaced my injectors with 155’s and added a regulated return. I had the same sticking as you, but at idle. If you’re going to do injectors, might as well do studs too, it’s not much more money if you have access to a lift, plus it gives you an opportunity to look over things and replace things that are easy to get to. Rebuilds will run you 800 or so for stock size, depending who you get them from.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-20-2018, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info

Have had AAA for years. Don't think it's a requirement for 6.0 drivers. I was marine diesel mechanic in a former life, I think the 6.0 is as reliable as any engine I have owned. Correct me if I'm wrong but if you leave it stock and do the basic maintenance on it, it will last. You start tweaking on it and bad things will happen, I don't think that is specific to 6.0 engines.

Am seriously thinking about doing all of the injectors(It's been over 130k since I had Ford change 2 injectors) and pondering " bullet proofing " and EGR deleting the engine. My thought is that I can use the bullet proof on a new block when this one finally goes.
post #8 of 15 Old 10-10-2018, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I answered my own question. The answer is 258,685.5 miles before failure. TO be fair it was a failure of the fuel system, the 6.0 is still working. The suction pipe rotted out and the system started sucking air when it got below 3/8s. I just assumed that the fuel gauge was reading high.

The truck was going great at 70 mph and all of a sudden it could not go over 40 with the foot all the way to the floor. I jumped over 4 lanes of Norfolk rush hour traffic and was trying to gracefully exit the highway. I was forced to resort to driving with 2 feet to keep it running. Strangely it died at the exit for the Ford dealer. Depending on your view of Ford dealers it was lucky or not. Unfortunately the Prius in front of me chose not to run the yellow light, after an emergency stop the truck stalled 3 lights from the dealer. So I blocked the road for 10 minutes before I got it barely running and limped it into the service department.

Total damage was fuel piping, fuel pump, fuel sender, 2 injectors, fuel press regulator, filters, ect, ect ect So all the money saved for bulletproofing is gone. New plan, keep stock and keep it on the road.
post #9 of 15 Old 10-11-2018, 12:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
I have good sam truck trailer rv towing. used it on my 1995 7.3 4 times.
post #10 of 15 Old 10-11-2018, 03:03 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmomulan View Post
I answered my own question. The answer is 258,685.5 miles before failure. TO be fair it was a failure of the fuel system, the 6.0 is still working. The suction pipe rotted out and the system started sucking air when it got below 3/8s. I just assumed that the fuel gauge was reading high.

The truck was going great at 70 mph and all of a sudden it could not go over 40 with the foot all the way to the floor. I jumped over 4 lanes of Norfolk rush hour traffic and was trying to gracefully exit the highway. I was forced to resort to driving with 2 feet to keep it running. Strangely it died at the exit for the Ford dealer. Depending on your view of Ford dealers it was lucky or not. Unfortunately the Prius in front of me chose not to run the yellow light, after an emergency stop the truck stalled 3 lights from the dealer. So I blocked the road for 10 minutes before I got it barely running and limped it into the service department.

Total damage was fuel piping, fuel pump, fuel sender, 2 injectors, fuel press regulator, filters, ect, ect ect So all the money saved for bulletproofing is gone. New plan, keep stock and keep it on the road.
That's a pain, switching one lane on 64/264 with a working truck at rush hour is hard enough. Glad I don't make that drive anymore. If the dealership doesn't pan out powerstroke performance and a few other diesel shops are near you also.

1999 F250 Supercrew LB
MBRP 4" straight pipe
S&B
PHP Hydra
Edge Insight CTS2
Sweet IH Steering knob (adds at least 1000HP)

"I have never bought anything with money. Everything I have was bought with pieces of time I sold from my life to a job that will never have paid enough when my time is up."

Spem Successus Alit

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode