2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 08-02-2018, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help me make a educated decision!!!

So I'm at a cross roads. I have a 2006 f250 6.0 PSD Everything is running fine, No blown head gaskets or none of that sorts. But I'm finally at a point were I wanna start improving on the stock motor and getting it to the next level of reliability. My oil cooler is functioning fine, Deltas are within 5 degrees of each other so looking good there. Head studs and all of that jazz are coming in the future, studs are not something I feel comfortable pulling off and out of my funding range right now. I have zero desire to run a tuner. I don't need any more horse power and for what pulling (98% of the time I pull less than 8K) I do the stock horsepower and torque is just fine. I feel confident that the motor is strong and more than up to the task for the time being with relatively few problems for the next couple of years.

I replaced the EGR Cooler when I bought the truck with a BPD one( I have no desire to delete the EGR Cooler since I'm in the army and may PCS someplace that is hard on emissions). I will be doing the work myself as of now unless I hold off and save up some funding.

So Do I :

A: install the IPR Inline coolant filter and ditch the bypass filter I have now and prolong the life of the current oil cooler. Along with a IPR aluminum radiator and IRP Billet water pump.

B: Install the IPR External oil cooler kit and leave the stock oil cooler in place as well, Along with IPR Radiator and billet water pump

C: Tear the top end of the motor apart and do the IPR external oil cooler kit, IPR Radiator, and IRP billet water pump.

I'm leaning towards just doing the coolant filter, radiator and billet water pump for now and saving up some green paper and going back in at a later date so I can do the external oil cooler relocation kit, studs, heads, all at once. Makes the most sense in my minds eye. I feel it would keep the motor going strong for now and give the ability to save up to go back in at a later date and have studs, heads, oil cooler relocation kit done at the same time and by a shop the could probably do a better job than I could. Also gives me the ability to ditch the lift kit now and return the suspension back the stock configuration, Which is something I have been wanting to do for a long time.

Everyone's thoughts and input is more than welcome!!!

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-02-2018, 02:27 AM
Fuel it up again Dummy

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 1682 Post(s)
Garage
Ok first thing is the IPR coolant filter and manifold setup is the direction I went and recommend to you. The bypass filters are pathetic and not worth two bits. You can also backflush your oil cooler so easily with the manifold setup.

Ok as for the rest of the IPR products I say no......ok hell no. You don’t need the oil cooler and it’s inferior to BPD oil cooler. But I again say no point. Just be sure that you are using a CAT EC-1 type coolant.

If you blow head gaskets then I say move towards head work surfacing and o-ringing them too. Then install ARP studs and that’s when you tune the truck. You can go with a good Tow Tune or whatever.

Oh yea I don’t have any knowledge on reliability of IPR waterpump either. I would just go BPD

2006 F250 LARIAT CCSB 4X4
6.0 Diesel w/80K 6/19

ARP Studs, O-Ringed Heads
Stage I KC Turbo 10V
DC Power 270XP Die Hards
6.4 Starter, BPD Waterpump
FASS 125 Titanium w/Adj. Press Reg
3Ē CAC Pipes & CSF 7106 I.C.
4Ē Diamond Eye SS Exh System
W/two 4Ē SS Diamond Eye mufflers.
IPR Coolant filter w/ Manifold
CAT EC-1 coolant
SCT X4 ECM Rollback & PHP Tunes
100HP Hercules & 65HP Tow Tune
Icon/Deaver Suspension
Toyo M/T 38/15.50/18
1,000lbs or more other crap too
post #3 of 11 Old 08-02-2018, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatlen View Post
Ok first thing is the IPR coolant filter and manifold setup is the direction I went and recommend to you. The bypass filters are pathetic and not worth two bits. You can also backflush your oil cooler so easily with the manifold setup.

Ok as for the rest of the IPR products I say no......ok hell no. You don’t need the oil cooler and it’s inferior to BPD oil cooler. But I again say no point. Just be sure that you are using a CAT EC-1 type coolant.

If you blow head gaskets then I say move towards head work surfacing and o-ringing them too. Then install ARP studs and that’s when you tune the truck. You can go with a good Tow Tune or whatever.

Oh yea I don’t have any knowledge on reliability of IPR waterpump either. I would just go BPD
Why the dislike for the IPR kit? they seem about the same to me. Also Like I said in the OP. I have zero desire to run any kind of tuning, I Think tuning is a waste of time and money.

Scott

Last edited by Scott Brooner; 08-02-2018 at 02:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-02-2018, 03:25 AM
Fuel it up again Dummy

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 1682 Post(s)
Garage
Ok the IPR oil cooler kits have had a lot of issues in efficiency in heat dissipation. I only know what I have seen here on the forum.

His waterpump is new and I have not seen enough data on his radiator to comment. I love his coolant filter and his EGR delete is top class. But for items with no proof in the pudding so to speak I wont suggest something with no history.

Regarding your comment about tunes being a waste of time and money tells me how lost you are there. Diesels are unlike gasoline powered engines. Technology is advancing all the time and the newer FICM programs have better PW rates and timing by far then what was loaded into them in 2003. The Atlas40 gives 40HP along with 1.5-2 mpg gains. The ECM tunes in conjunction with transmission tunes also do the same. I have run a 65 HP Tow Tune since 2013 and my truck has 38Ē tires on it. I was averaging around 12 mpg after tuning FICM ECM I see 16.7 to 18 mpg average per tank. At the same time my truck is around 450 HP and feels so much lighter on its feet. Power for me today is effortless and efficient. My transmission shifts are spot on because the transmission programming was corrected for whatís actually on the truck.
Iím not being a jerk and I have no problem with IPR. Thereís not many guys here running his stuff because of issues many had on some of his stuff early on. I will never put a oil cooler setup on my truck because itís not needed if you know these trucks. The coolant was itís issue. Now if you pull a heavy load all the time thatís different. But if not spend the money on beer or women where you get a payout.

Hope this clears some up some mindsets you had.
bootcamp likes this.

2006 F250 LARIAT CCSB 4X4
6.0 Diesel w/80K 6/19

ARP Studs, O-Ringed Heads
Stage I KC Turbo 10V
DC Power 270XP Die Hards
6.4 Starter, BPD Waterpump
FASS 125 Titanium w/Adj. Press Reg
3Ē CAC Pipes & CSF 7106 I.C.
4Ē Diamond Eye SS Exh System
W/two 4Ē SS Diamond Eye mufflers.
IPR Coolant filter w/ Manifold
CAT EC-1 coolant
SCT X4 ECM Rollback & PHP Tunes
100HP Hercules & 65HP Tow Tune
Icon/Deaver Suspension
Toyo M/T 38/15.50/18
1,000lbs or more other crap too
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mhatlen For This Useful Post:
Scott Brooner (08-02-2018)
post #5 of 11 Old 08-02-2018, 03:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
I agree w/ mhatlen. Stay away from the IPR oil cooler, it (like most aftermarket oil coolers - BPD product is an exception) will not cool sufficiently. In fact, as long as your coolant is in good shape, there really is nothing wrong w/ the OEM oil cooler.

You did not mention what coolant you are running. Hopefully you have made the switch to an EC-1 rated ELC coolant. If not, then do so.

Get a fuel pressure sensor and gauge. Install the blue spring upgrade on the fuel pressure regulator. Get the right one for your model year.

Change out the original dummy plugs and standpipes if you haven't already.

Same thing for the HPOP discharge STC fitting. Change it out to the upgraded one-piece fitting.

After that, get a little bigger than stock alternator (IMO 180A is best, but probably 140A would be ok) and make sure your batteries are good and you should be good to go!

Personally, I have not seen anything wrong w/ the 05 and up OEM water pumps.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-02-2018, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Ok the IPR oil cooler kits have had a lot of issues in efficiency in heat dissipation. I only know what I have seen here on the forum.

His waterpump is new and I have not seen enough data on his radiator to comment. I love his coolant filter and his EGR delete is top class. But for items with no proof in the pudding so to speak I wont suggest something with no history.

Regarding your comment about tunes being a waste of time and money tells me how lost you are there. Diesels are unlike gasoline powered engines. Technology is advancing all the time and the newer FICM programs have better PW rates and timing by far then what was loaded into them in 2003. The Atlas40 gives 40HP along with 1.5-2 mpg gains. The ECM tunes in conjunction with transmission tunes also do the same. I have run a 65 HP Tow Tune since 2013 and my truck has 38” tires on it. I was averaging around 12 mpg after tuning FICM ECM I see 16.7 to 18 mpg average per tank. At the same time my truck is around 450 HP and feels so much lighter on its feet. Power for me today is effortless and efficient. My transmission shifts are spot on because the transmission programming was corrected for what’s actually on the truck.
I’m not being a jerk and I have no problem with IPR. There’s not many guys here running his stuff because of issues many had on some of his stuff early on. I will never put a oil cooler setup on my truck because it’s not needed if you know these trucks. The coolant was it’s issue. Now if you pull a heavy load all the time that’s different. But if not spend the money on beer or women where you get a payout.

I wouldn't say I'm lost little confused probly. I just don't feel the need to partake in the tuning game. I've seen enough dudes have issues with running tuners on there trucks to turn me off of the idea and deem it a waste of money. I've thought of giving a tuner a try. But since (from my research) you cant safely tune a stock 6.0 I haven't been willing to try to see if I like it. Ive looked at edge products. I really like the layout of their CTS2 Tuner.

Scott

Last edited by Scott Brooner; 08-02-2018 at 04:02 AM.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-02-2018, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
I agree w/ mhatlen. Stay away from the IPR oil cooler, it (like most aftermarket oil coolers - BPD product is an exception) will not cool sufficiently. In fact, as long as your coolant is in good shape, there really is nothing wrong w/ the OEM oil cooler.

You did not mention what coolant you are running. Hopefully you have made the switch to an EC-1 rated ELC coolant. If not, then do so.

Get a fuel pressure sensor and gauge. Install the blue spring upgrade on the fuel pressure regulator. Get the right one for your model year.

Change out the original dummy plugs and standpipes if you haven't already.

Same thing for the HPOP discharge STC fitting. Change it out to the upgraded one-piece fitting.

After that, get a little bigger than stock alternator (IMO 180A is best, but probably 140A would be ok) and make sure your batteries are good and you should be good to go!

Personally, I have not seen anything wrong w/ the 05 and up OEM water pumps.
I forgot to add that the dummy plugs standpipes and STC Fitting was replaced when the EGR Cooler was replaced.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-02-2018, 04:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
The FICM tuning is mild and not the same as the PCM tuning. Also, IMO anyway, SCT tuners are better than the Edge tuners. That said, there are quite a few folks that like their Edge products. The CTS2 is a good system to display "most" engine operating parameters. It falls short on a few of them though from forum posts I have seen. Monitoring your engine is a highly recommended practice in order to catch issues when they are small and cheap!

Good deal on the dummy plugs and standpipes. Now, just keep the HPOP STC fitting in the back of your mind to do when convenient.
mhatlen likes this.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-02-2018, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
The FICM tuning is mild and not the same as the PCM tuning. Also, IMO anyway, SCT tuners are better than the Edge tuners. That said, there are quite a few folks that like their Edge products. The CTS2 is a good system to display "most" engine operating parameters. It falls short on a few of them though from forum posts I have seen. Monitoring your engine is a highly recommended practice in order to catch issues when they are small and cheap!

Good deal on the dummy plugs and standpipes. Now, just keep the HPOP STC fitting in the back of your mind to do when convenient.
IF your up to it, ID be willing to have a conversation about tuners via Phone call or text. I looked at tuners again and I Like edge. Seems to have very mild tunes I listed below. SCT didn't have that info listed on their website that I Could fine

20 HP & 80 lb-ft
60 HP & 100 lb-ft
80 HP & 150 lb-ft
100 HP & 200 lb-ft
post #10 of 11 Old 08-02-2018, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:

Regarding your comment about tunes being a waste of time and money tells me how lost you are there. Diesels are unlike gasoline powered engines. Technology is advancing all the time and the newer FICM programs have better PW rates and timing by far then what was loaded into them in 2003. The Atlas40 gives 40HP along with 1.5-2 mpg gains. The ECM tunes in conjunction with transmission tunes also do the same. I have run a 65 HP Tow Tune since 2013 and my truck has 38Ē tires on it. I was averaging around 12 mpg after tuning FICM ECM I see 16.7 to 18 mpg average per tank. At the same time my truck is around 450 HP and feels so much lighter on its feet. Power for me today is effortless and efficient. My transmission shifts are spot on because the transmission programming was corrected for whatís actually on the truck.
Iím not being a jerk and I have no problem with IPR. Thereís not many guys here running his stuff because of issues many had on some of his stuff early on. I will never put a oil cooler setup on my truck because itís not needed if you know these trucks. The coolant was itís issue. Now if you pull a heavy load all the time thatís different. But if not spend the money on beer or women where you get a payout.

Same for you, Id be willing to have a text for phone conversation about tuners and tuning.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode