Got a belt squeak,thinking tensioner, but what about other idle pulley bearings? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 06-24-2018, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Got a belt squeak,thinking tensioner, but what about other idle pulley bearings?

So here is a run down. I replaced the belt ( OEM ) about 1 year ago, it now has about 7500 miles on the belt. Its been squeaking here and there but this is where it gets interesting. The belt will squeak at cold idle like a slight chirp but now its more like a faster chirp/short short squeal. Once the truck has been driven for a while, there pretty much isnt no noise. If i spray soapy water on the belt, it'll stop instantly but then squeal a bit here and then ( this is when cold ). Id attribute that to the soap wearing off the pulley/belt.

The truck has 76k on it, and I was thinking about replace the tensioner. I can get one from Amazon for 73 shipped and its OEM. What Im wondering is, what other bearings should I replace in the idler pulleys? I dont know how many there is, nor do I know what bearings are needed for those additional pulleys.

Has anyone done this?

If you could list the bearing and the qty needed ( minus the tensioner, I'll swap that new )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MrOneEyedBoh; 06-24-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-24-2018, 05:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would do the other 2 idlers while you’re there. One comes on the tensioner, then you have one up by the intake and the other over by the coolant thermostat neck

post #3 of 15 Old 06-24-2018, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch Baby View Post
I would do the other 2 idlers while you’re there. One comes on the tensioner, then you have one up by the intake and the other over by the coolant thermostat neck

Thats the plan, but Im going to buy a complete new tensioner. Mine has good tension, but 70 bucks for a new one/properly tensioned belt is okay by me.

I just need to know what the bearing numbers are one those two idlers, I have an idea, but I dont want to clutter up the thread with improper part numbers in case someone else comes along.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 06-24-2018, 06:42 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Garage
Not sure if its here or not, buy check through here.

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/gen...rnational.html

2003 F-350, CC, LB, 285/75/16, Autometer Gages, Fox 2.0's (Thanks to Corey), Sninister Bypass Coolant Filter, 4" Turbo Back,Leece-Neville 230 Amp Alternator, 6.4 litre starter

post #5 of 15 Old 06-24-2018, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
You can look the numbers up and or buy them from rock auto, or one of the Ford vendors on the site will hook you up. At least give them a try. Sean @Sunrisefordparts got me a good price on my CAC
Sunrisefordparts likes this.
post #6 of 15 Old 06-25-2018, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

They won't sell just the bearings. I'd have to buy them from McMaster etc

post #7 of 15 Old 06-25-2018, 02:47 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Sorry, I was thinking about the pulley assembly. I just replaced the bearing in one of my pulleys, bearing part #6203. I think it was on the tensioner though, so not sure if it's the same. Might want to pull yours off and get part number then reinstall till new ones come in
post #8 of 15 Old 06-25-2018, 05:58 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,069 Times in 998 Posts
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 2565 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think @ZMANN had a list somewhere.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #9 of 15 Old 06-25-2018, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I think Its 6203 and 6202 ( 2 each, but I dont know... ) but Im replacing the tensioner and thats one or two bearings that I wont need. Thus I dont want to buy a bearing and not need it...

Ive read somewhere that Gates updated the pulley to be better, and now Im thinking about just buying them from Rock Auto..
post #10 of 15 Old 06-25-2018, 01:34 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,047 Times in 938 Posts
Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 1587 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm going to do this relatively soon. I'm just going to stick these posts here so that I have them for later. ...and in case they help anyone else. I made the attachments from the 2004 Service Manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Tensioner bearings (both) and smooth idler pulley bearings: 6203-2RS
Grooved Idler bearings: 6303-2RS
McMaster-Carr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
For those of us that have dual alternator set ups, the above post is correct for the primary (main) belt/pulleys. The pulleys for the dual alternator set up all use the 6203-2Rs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by portcity_gt View Post
I just want to add to this thread, in the above post to me it reads like you need three small (6203) bearings and one large (6303) bearing. While that may be the case on a dual alternator truck, on my single alternator truck it was two each 6203 and 6303 to replace all tentioner and idler pully bearings.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Accessory Drive - Powerstroke 6L - Single Alt.pdf (253.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: pdf Accessory Drive - Powerstroke 6L - Dual Alt.pdf (294.0 KB, 18 views)

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLink™ LX, Autometer EGT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode