FICMrepair 230A alternator & full wiring kit layout? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 06-17-2018, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FICMrepair 230A alternator & full wiring kit layout?

I bought a LN230A alternator from FICMrepair along with the complete wiring kit. I've thoroughly read the instructions, and all I could think was, "Would it kill you to add some pictures for dummies like me?"

Has anybody done this? Could you share me some photos?

Also, I guess I have to drill out the ring terminals to fit the alternator positive and negative terminals?

And is there really any value in keeping the old battery to battery positive cable and terminals, other than cheapness? Because the wire supplied in the kit is already overspec'd for the maximum theoretical current draw of the vehicle, with all devices on and the starter turning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 06-17-2018, 09:30 AM
california deplorable

Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Quoted: 3180 Post(s)
yes to keeping the stock wires what you are doing is adding a redundancy.
@TooManyToys has a couple great and infprmative videos on you tube for doing this
also i have not used eds kit but i would assume it came with the proper size ring connectors.
i bought wires off ebay pre made and it was very easy.
there are also a coule threads on here someplace i believe but i neccver seem to have much lick with the search feature but i will try to give it a shot...
you may well beat me to it my internet is legendary for how useless it is especially on weekends

I like mead
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

early 04 f350 6.0 cclb lariat sr
Bulletproof oil &egr, elc, sct x3, edge CTS, afe intake, blue spring, t-500, MTW stage 2, Vivians looney, 305 x55x20 bfg at ko's, 4 inch cat back, 4"BDS fox shocks and steering stabilizer, tri pilar gauge set, coolant filter, riff raff boots, new headliner, 7 inch touch screen w/back up, new carpet, near whole new interior,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FederalOwnershipRespectfullyDeclined

post #3 of 27 Old 06-17-2018, 09:50 AM

Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,796 Posts
Mentioned: 725 Post(s)
Quoted: 4030 Post(s)
redundancy is not concerned about the maximum capacity of a single cable

it's about having a second path 'just in case "

also, the pass bat to the alternator is reported to have a hidden splice in the loom that feeds critical components so at least leave that one and piggy back it with the upgrade
john galt likes this.

6.0 flush pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 06-17-2018, 09:54 AM

if the OEM was such crap it would be on everyone list to get rid of but in reality, it is just fine

the real weak point is the ALT to Pass battery and only if you have a High demand and an alternator capable of supplying the AMPS

while FICM repair is a top notch company I agree, I would / did and so did @mhatlen and others prefer to make my own cable kit and dictate my own routing

( i added my redundant Alt to Battery cable to the driver's battery )
john galt likes this.

6.0 flush pdf
post #5 of 27 Old 06-17-2018, 10:31 AM
california deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
if the OEM was such crap it would be on everyone list to get rid of but in reality, it is just fine

the real weak point is the ALT to Pass battery and only if you have a High demand and an alternator capable of supplying the AMPS

while FICM repair is a top notch company I agree, I would / did and so did @mhatlen and others prefer to make my own cable kit and dictate my own routing

( i added my redundant Alt to Battery cable to the driver's battery )

true...
and the weakest spot is the tie between grounds from pass to drivers side.
i have not finished palying around but will be running a redundent
( sorry i just had to)
ground tie in from both batteries to the starter ground not that the block isnt fine for the ground i just like over kill engineering...done...you know in my spare time
because i like to do my own stuff too.
plus it cost me under a hundred bucks to run zero gauge monster cable and loom it as opposed to paying someone else to do a little math
and running a 250 amp alt ... i figure a little extra zero gauge for the possative cross over cant hurt to be sure and hence the one and zero gauge grounds...too much is never enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Cornville View Post
Hey, I am really sorry if I sound argumentative. I don't mean to be.

Truth is I am frustrated after all this time and work to find out that the battery cable kit is not what I expected. I should have opened everything the day I got it, nearly two months ago, and examined it then.

In any case, my apologies.
no worries to me yohu sounded like a guy who has had hie truck down for a couple months...
took me about that long to get mine to fire for the first time too so i totally get it

I like mead

Bulletproof oil &egr, elc, sct x3, edge CTS, afe intake, blue spring, t-500, MTW stage 2, Vivians looney, 305 x55x20 bfg at ko's, 4 inch cat back, 4"BDS fox shocks and steering stabilizer, tri pilar gauge set, coolant filter, riff raff boots, new headliner, 7 inch touch screen w/back up, new carpet, near whole new interior,

Last edited by john galt; 06-17-2018 at 10:36 AM.
post #6 of 27 Old 06-17-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Truth is I am frustrated
no worries Mike, I could tell and understand

you probably know most of this but

I have not seen anyone disappointed with the kit, your choices make it work , sell it and make your own , or talk to FICM,repair about a refund and make your own

you could run a 1000 Amp alternator without a wiring upgrade unless you actually have the demand the supply side won't care if you have small wires

so you have plenty of time to tackle this later

oh and take a break ;-)
john galt likes this.

6.0 flush pdf
post #7 of 27 Old 06-17-2018, 11:02 AM

those kicker or similar parts work well if like you mentioned you solder the wires but you also need to have fuses at that location also IMO

i like the Blue sea circuit breakers

IMO if this system was really set up well the batteries would disconnect when the truck was off to keep the weakest battery from trying to equalize

an ACR is a great add to this system IMO

6.0 flush pdf
post #8 of 27 Old 06-17-2018, 11:05 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Cornville View Post
It's a joke for redundancy - true redundancy is full failover capacity, not one superior path to the other, and redundant systems are in standby, not run with a parasitic current, like that would be.

I am not going to remove the factory harness, or not connect the alt terminal, I just want the battery connection and ground problem fixed that's evident just looking at it.

I am thinking about two pairs of these, with some solder on rod end connectors.

I think Wes @darkpassenger used those back in his 6.0 days. I seem to recall he really liked them.
john galt and darkpassenger like this.

2003 F-350, CC, LB, 285/75/16, Autometer Gages, Fox 2.0's (Thanks to Corey), Sninister Bypass Coolant Filter, 4" Turbo Back,Leece-Neville 230 Amp Alternator, 6.4 litre starter

The Following User Says Thank You to partyman97_3 For This Useful Post:
darkpassenger (06-17-2018)
post #9 of 27 Old 06-17-2018, 11:38 AM
california deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyman97_3 View Post
I think Wes @darkpassenger used those back in his 6.0 days. I seem to recall he really liked them.
you are correct.
and i am waiting on a set myself to finish off my ground and charge mods

I like mead

post #10 of 27 Old 06-17-2018, 12:18 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,086 Times in 1,014 Posts
Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
IMO, the most critical cable to update is the one that currently doesn't exist, and that's the passenger side battery ground to the alternator bolt (or engine in general). The next would be "+" to "+" upgrade between the two batteries. I left the OEM cable in place because "why not?". This is all I've done so far myself and my 185 amp is doing just fine. One day I'll get around to the upgraded charging leads to the alternator, but I'm in no hurry since I have no high draw items anyway.
john galt likes this.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode