Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.0 questions- blown HG's after studs

6K views 44 replies 12 participants last post by  2003 Ford F350 
#1 ·
Happy Friday all!
So my 06 has been diagnosed with blown head gaskets not quite two years (43xxx miles) after studs, gaskets, OE oil cooler, and fully machining heads (no o-ringing tho).
Going in under the ratchet week after next for partial warranty work. I have to pay machine work to o-ring the heads for any further warranty, new studs, partial labor and I believe a partial parts cost. They will only do this if I o-ring the heads and said I should have last time as have stage 2 turbo and running tunes other than ID tunes which is all they offer due to reduced cyl pressures. They also suggested it may be a bad cup or cracked head which would be at my cost. NOTE: o-ring results in lifetime warranty>

History: all vitals are as should be, turbo replaced, ford OE injectors, HPOP, blue spring and 6.4 banjos, almost all of the sensors, boots, up pipes, plastic drivers side pipe replaced with the steel, Ficm (atlas 40), OE water pump, Rotella T6 all OE filters and good maintenance. Deltas are 8-10*.

Symptoms are: degas bottle has puked three times since job was done (43xxx miles). Usually months in between. Shop was informed and they pressure tested the system, replaced the cap with OE and it quit both times. This time, it bubbled in the tester tube and went from blue to green but not immediately took a bit to get there. They almost said it was another weak cap. I do not race this truck, I do occasionally pass a person less interested in getting somewhere but no burnouts etc. I let warm up and cool down every time I drive it and I do occasionally run the turbo to keep it free.

My questions are should I request at my cost since we are in there: 6.4 pushrods (originals reused first go round), oil cooler replaced, new hpop screen, or anything else?
Thank you for any input.
X

See less See more
#32 ·
Man....you must have been running some hot tunes to stretch 3 ARP studs, and crack a head. Did they give you the 3 "stretched" studs?? Would be interesting to send them to ARP to see what they say.

#33 ·
Simple compression did not stretch 3 studs. IF they were stretched, other factors were involved or they were defective from the start.

#36 ·
Heavy what the hell you getting ready for church right now?? What gives you don’t give two shlts about being prim or proper. You in love or something? Cream Puff....lol

Erase that you have the technology. I found a fair amount of humor there, yet if I told you I could make monkeys fly out of my butt would you believe me too.

That was a very accurate phrase more often then not by a long shot. Good for a chuckle too. Ahh after church Im betting you toss the rose colored glasses.

#39 ·
Screw that it’s OVER RATED

#38 ·
On a more serious note, Dexter is absolutely right. I would have measured every stud with my micrometer myself before agreeing to drop another $550 on studs again. I’m very leary about three studs failing to remain constant.

OP I will be the first to tell you that you have the best reason ever to run the tune of your choice now that engine has o-ringed heads. For the first time ever the engine will not be stressed at head gaskets from tuning. You won’t loose a head gasket any more now. Only way I see anyone having any issue would be if you lost all the coolant and cooked the engine down.

Throw in a tune and enjoy it without a worry. Those approved tunes you spoke of are approved by these guys because they don’t do nothin.

Get a SCT tuner and some custom tunes for it. Enjoy I’m happy for you.

#41 ·
And the dilemma continues...
So truck is back, driving it with no tune for a bit to let everything seat, etc. Over 4th I drove to buddies 3 hours away running approx 70-85 on flat highway. Temps are as always 5-10 degrees max delta.
Friday I am running to visit my son in IL at 60-65 flat ground and truck shows 14* higher EOT than ECT. Since then, avg 10-12* with high of 16* delta. I have texted shop to let them know and they replied that they didnt touch oil cooler and did a flush after it was back together as I requested. Not that they were not responsible etc. but I doubt they are eager to eat any more labor etc.
Outside temps have been pretty close on all days. Oil cooler was replaced with motorcraft when original head gasket job done 2 years ago this month.
I am thinking something was allowed to enter the oil system and is now clogging the cooler.
Ideas?
Thanks!
@mhatlen: I dont see how they would be able to tell what/who's tune I was running even if I did "stray". Would they?
Thank you to all who have posted... Always great advice, opinion and the mix of humor!
X

#43 ·
The 6.0 ECM won’t hold info and why I said that I would not have said I was running any tunes in the truck at all.

Maybe I wasn’t clear on what I posted.. But you can tune it now and I absolutely would. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.