LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-28-2018, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What exhaust should I get?

I got bored today and wanted to know what my truck would sound like with no muffler so I looked under the truck and it looked like I could just unbolt everything from the cat back and take it off. I was able to, turned out to be more labor intensive than I bargained for so I really don't want to go through all the work again to have no gain lol.

I like the deep sound it has at idle, but I hate the raspyness it gets if I get on it. I don't know which route to go for exhaust since I have a lot of options from continuing a 3.5" straight pipe from the cat back, starting a 4" straight pipe from the cat back, deleting the cat and doing a full 3.5" straight pipe, or doing a 4" straight pipe from the turbo back (or other location?)

And as always I'm on a budget where cheap is good so what would you recommend? Any links? I'm not opposed to just bolting the stock unit back on, I just don't want to go through that mess again, it was a PITA!

2005 F-350 Lariat, studded, Sinister diesel EGR delete, Sinister diesel coolant filter, MBRP 4" straight pipe, Banks ram air intake, SCT X4 tuner, blue spring, EGT sensor, fuel pressure sensor, 4" lift, 08 style mirrors, 35x12.5R20 Toyo RT

SOLD:
2006 Ford F-250 King Ranch FX4 crew cab short bed
4" flood lights for back up lights, High idle switch, 2008-16 tail lights, 2011-16 style 6.0 Powerstroke badging, Edge Insight CTS2, Blue spring mod, Viofo A119 dash cam, 275/70R18 BFG KO2, 2017 style mirrors, 2.5" lift coils, F-350 blocks in the rear, Riffraff CAC boots, Backup camera with spot lights in the rear, SCT X4 tuner, Fab Fours black steel series bumper with pre-runner guard, Mishimoto coolant filter, 4" Diamond eye turbo back straight pipe exhaust, 18x8.5 American Eagle Alloy Hardrock series 0168, 7.3L Fan clutch (Hayden 2835), Spyder LED tube projector headlights

2011 F-350 King Ranch FX4 crew cab long bed 325/65R18 BFG KO2, 18x8.5 American Eagle Alloy Hardrock series 0168, Steelcraft Elevation Bullnose Front Bumper, 20" front light bar, MBRP 4" DPF delete competition pipe, SCT GTX tuner with Tyrant tunes, Rough Country 1.5" leveling kit, Auxbeam LED headlights and fog lights, platinum style grill, black mirror lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-28-2018, 10:39 PM
Mr. Crossthread

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 1905 Post(s)
Garage
MBRP 4" straight pipe with a 3.5" downpipe is a little less than $300. Great kit for the price.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
mhatlen likes this.

Justin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2005 F250 300,000 miles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ARP Studs - OEM Gaskets - Machined Heads - EGR Delete - 4" Straight Pipe Axle Dump - MBRP Up-pipes - Holder's 175/Stock Injectors - KC Stage 2 63.5mm - Custom Water/Meth Injection - Beans Diesel Sump - PHP FICM Tuner - SCT X4 - TSD Tunes - Riff Raff Boots and Clamps - Coolant Filter - Blue Spring - CCV Reroute - Custom Big 3 Upgrade - Viper Remote Start - Aluminum Radiator
Check out MPA, those guys are pretty decent

TPB!
post #3 of 6 Old 01-28-2018, 10:40 PM
Fuel it up again Dummy

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Garage
I would go with aluminized steel and not SS because it sounds better. Down pipe is your call 3-1/2 will spool up a little bit better then 4". I put 4" on my cat and knocked it out wide open and put it into my exhaust. Reason was it smooths out exhaust at mid to high RPM's. The open can acts a bit like a resonator giving some cushion to exhaust pulses. Then a Donaldson 4" muffler sounds the best. It will tame the raspy growl at higher RPM's.

As far as the best quality for price: Diamond Eye CANNOT be beat. Best bends are gentle and flow much better than MBRP. I have had both, have MBRP now with a Diamond Eye 4" down pipe. I also have a Corsa SS 4" muffler but liked my old Donaldson better that was on my old truck.

So thats what I know about the exhaust. The empty CAT will help with that raspy growl, I have messed with lots of options in my two F250's. You can keep the cat with the honeycomb in it if you like and just weld on 4" to the rear pipe off of it. That will also tame the growl as well as lower the dB output overall. But will also raise EGT 100*.

The Donaldson muffler is the straight through model in 4". They cost about $80.00 or so.

I'm like you I liked the deep tone at idle and mid throttle. But my heart sunk at WOT, sounded so rough and raspy I hated it. So the empty cat and Donaldson brought it in right where I was happy.

Good Luck with it. Can all be done well under $400.00
waggonerj and Red Ford like this.

2006 F250 LARIAT CCSB 4X4
6.0 Diesel w/80K 6/19

ARP Studs, O-Ringed Heads
Stage I KC Turbo 10V
DC Power 270XP Die Hards
6.4 Starter, BPD Waterpump
FASS 125 Titanium w/Adj. Press Reg
3 CAC Pipes & CSF 7106 I.C.
4 Diamond Eye SS Exh System
W/two 4 SS Diamond Eye mufflers.
IPR Coolant filter w/ Manifold
CAT EC-1 coolant
SCT X4 ECM Rollback & PHP Tunes
100HP Hercules & 65HP Tow Tune
Icon/Deaver Suspension
Toyo M/T 38/15.50/18
1,000lbs or more other crap too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-28-2018, 10:40 PM
Mr. Crossthread

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 1905 Post(s)
Garage
Also, ive installed a few with 0 clearance issues on any of them. You do have to go back and readjust/tighten clamps back up after a week or 2.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Justin

2005 F250 300,000 miles

ARP Studs - OEM Gaskets - Machined Heads - EGR Delete - 4" Straight Pipe Axle Dump - MBRP Up-pipes - Holder's 175/Stock Injectors - KC Stage 2 63.5mm - Custom Water/Meth Injection - Beans Diesel Sump - PHP FICM Tuner - SCT X4 - TSD Tunes - Riff Raff Boots and Clamps - Coolant Filter - Blue Spring - CCV Reroute - Custom Big 3 Upgrade - Viper Remote Start - Aluminum Radiator
Check out MPA, those guys are pretty decent

TPB!
post #5 of 6 Old 01-28-2018, 11:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
4" turbo back and leave the muffler and cat off if you dont need to get smogged
post #6 of 6 Old 01-29-2018, 04:49 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Garage
MBRP 4", that's what I have on the my truck on love it.

USMC MOTOR-T
05 F250 6" LIFT, Custom Fuel System, RR Kit, Fuel, Trans, Oil, Pyrometer Gauges, Fluid Damper, TSD & IDP Tunes, Hellmans Sump, 4.10 Gears, 625ARP, UCF O-Ring Heads FHG, Apex Ported Manifold, MBRP Exhaust, Atlas 40, Warren 175/75 Injectors, 68mm Pmax w/ Batmowheel, BPD Rad/Water Pump/Remote Stock Oil Cooler/7.3 Fan Clutch, Sinister Y Pipe, 6.4 Starter, Alradco Intercooler, Newest addition is a 2015 F250 6.7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode