LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 Old 01-05-2018, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8deuce View Post
One other advantage to a winter front,cardboard, is the wind chill factor, the air going through the rad at 60 mph in -20 degree weather is a lot colder, so stopping or slowing it down will also warm up the firewall,p/s hoses and lots of other things under the hood. A winter front or cardboard across the grille will stop a lot of air flow and still allow the rad to cool the engine if your towing or working it hard. Cardboard against the rad will stop all air through the rad which means keeping one eye on the road and the other on the temp gauge.

Randy
I have mine right against it but I'm eye balling it constantly. I've done this with a Mercedes before but keep in mind the high was 9 today and wind chill is low. She's not rising any higher than it normally is but next week we are looking at 30s so I'm only keeping it in for these few cold days

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 Old 01-05-2018, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The cardboard isn't covering it completely, has a few slices for the folds too so I made sure it's getting some air.

post #23 of 30 Old 01-05-2018, 01:56 PM

Thanked 1,805 Times in 1,749 Posts
Mentioned: 691 Post(s)
Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by testorossa1989 View Post
The cardboard isn't covering it completely, has a few slices for the folds too so I made sure it's getting some air.

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 Old 01-05-2018, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Gotta let her get some air

post #25 of 30 Old 01-05-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
One other advantage to a winter front,cardboard, is the wind chill factor, the air going through the rad at 60 mph in -20 degree weather is a lot colder,

Just FYI on the wind chill comment

Reference question
Quote:
Can wind chill impact my carís radiator or exposed water pipe?

A. The only effect wind chill has on inanimate objects, such as car radiators and water pipes, is to shorten the amount of time for the object to cool. The inanimate object will not cool below the actual air temperature. For example, if the temperature outside is -5 degrees Fahrenheit and the wind chill temperature is -31 degrees Fahrenheit, then your carís radiator will not drop lower than -5 degrees Fahrenheit.

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 30 Old 01-05-2018, 02:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
Just FYI on the wind chill comment

Reference question
LOL I totally disagree with this and its another myth that will never end! Anti-freeze don't freeze it's the water mix in it causes it to gel much like summer deisel will when reduced to a small amount like in a fuel line when used in sub freezing temps.I've hauled many pieces of equipment on a semi with the equipment's rad facing the front of the trailer,checked before I left the yard antifreeze was good for -45,the thermometer on the shop wall read -40, getting to the job site then open the pet**** of the rad nothing comes out, throw a tarp over it with a propane torch and 10 minutes later rad starts to drip. We never used aluminum wheels on the trucks or trailers in the far north because they were fine with an regular weight on them sitting but would shatter after about an hour of driving with the same load. I'm not saying your wrong but in severe cold i'm positive it is a factor just from my experiance. There that's my two cents worth lol

Randy
post #27 of 30 Old 01-05-2018, 04:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyToys View Post
Iím trying to figure out what the tip would be if delivered without the box.
You deduct 50 cents for each missing pepperoni. It looks like Walter won't be leaving a tip.
post #28 of 30 Old 01-05-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8deuce View Post
LOL I totally disagree with this and its another myth that will never end! Anti-freeze don't freeze it's the water mix in it causes it to gel much like summer deisel will when reduced to a small amount like in a fuel line when used in sub freezing temps.I've hauled many pieces of equipment on a semi with the equipment's rad facing the front of the trailer,checked before I left the yard antifreeze was good for -45,the thermometer on the shop wall read -40, getting to the job site then open the pet**** of the rad nothing comes out, throw a tarp over it with a propane torch and 10 minutes later rad starts to drip. We never used aluminum wheels on the trucks or trailers in the far north because they were fine with an regular weight on them sitting but would shatter after about an hour of driving with the same load. I'm not saying your wrong but in severe cold i'm positive it is a factor just from my experiance. There that's my two cents worth lol

Randy
just FYI your disagreeing with Physics not Me
kcoyner and G8orFord like this.

6.0 flush pdf
post #29 of 30 Old 01-05-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Gotta let her get some air
you missed my "two slices " Pizza Pun

6.0 flush pdf
post #30 of 30 Old 01-09-2018, 12:09 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Does anyone have a link to someone who makes a winter grille cover since I can't find jack and all the links are dead links from 10yrs ago.
Hi, I believe this cover is something you may like:
Fiaģ - Black Winter Front and Bug Screen
Hope this helps.

Ford Experts

Call Toll Free: 800.505.3274 |
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode