Vacuum Pump Question - AC only blowing out defrost - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 12-28-2017, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Vacuum Pump Question - AC only blowing out defrost

I did a bunch of searching, and found some good info. But, I couldn't get a hit on one of my questions, so thought I'd ask it. My issue seems to indicate a vacuum leak or a vacuum pump issue. I live in Idaho, so haven't used the AC in a while, and only used it today because we made a road trip to CA to visit family. It was 80 on December 28th.

A few months ago, I noticed that I couldn't hear the vacuum pump activate for a few seconds after I turned my key on (didn't realize at the time it was the vacuum pump, just learned that searching for this issue). Would that tend to indicate a vacuum pump issue, or would it possibly not turn on if there was a leak? Or, would a leak tend to make it stay on longer when turning on the key?

I will check for leaks obviously, but didn't realize at the time that the pump was not making noise at the KOEO position. If so, then I will need to buy one.

I also have manual hubs.

Thanks for any info!

Last edited by jcm3; 12-28-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-29-2017, 06:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Since you don't hear it turn on its probably a bad pump. You should also check for leaks to be sure. My auto hubs were leaking so disconnected all of that and plugged it off. The hubs are now manual but I don't use all that much any way so no loss for me.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-29-2017, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350R View Post
Since you don't hear it turn on its probably a bad pump. You should also check for leaks to be sure. My auto hubs were leaking so disconnected all of that and plugged it off. The hubs are now manual but I don't use all that much any way so no loss for me.
Thank you, I plan to check for leaks today. I may play around with the pump too to make sure that something didn't get disconnected, but sounds like I'll probably needing one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-29-2017, 02:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
the system should be able to hold vacuum even when shut off. To make sure the pump is the issue, pull the line off the vacuum canister. the pump should turn on in a few seconds max. The canister is on the passenger side fender well under the hood. Easy to get to. Also you can pull the electrical plug off and re-insert it to see if it came loose.

If both of those fail, you may check a fuse. Not sure if this is the only thing on the circuit but worth checking as the vacuum pump is expensive.

I do not recommend a Dorman pump, buy one from Ford or get one from a pick and pull. My Dorman took a dump after 6 months and 6K miles.

Good luck

-K
post #5 of 5 Old 12-31-2017, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamviper View Post
the system should be able to hold vacuum even when shut off. To make sure the pump is the issue, pull the line off the vacuum canister. the pump should turn on in a few seconds max. The canister is on the passenger side fender well under the hood. Easy to get to. Also you can pull the electrical plug off and re-insert it to see if it came loose.

If both of those fail, you may check a fuse. Not sure if this is the only thing on the circuit but worth checking as the vacuum pump is expensive.

I do not recommend a Dorman pump, buy one from Ford or get one from a pick and pull. My Dorman took a dump after 6 months and 6K miles.

Good luck

-K
I didn't see this until after I replaced the vacuum pump, but thanks also for your reply. I did try disconnecting and re-seating the electrical connector, but that didn't help.

I figured since I didn't get any noise from the vacuum pump, it was probably bad. So, I picked up a new (not rebuilt) one from Napa with a lifetime warranty for $91, got it in (easy job!), and all is good.

Hopefully this helps someone else in the future when searching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode