What do I check to make sure my engine is healthy? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By HMM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 09-09-2017, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What do I check to make sure my engine is healthy?

I'm a little tired of this KR interior so I'm looking at getting it re-done but I want to make sure the truck is in good working order before I go spend a small fortune getting my seats re-done.

What should I check and how do I check to make sure my truck is in good running condition? I drive about 130 miles every day and have no issues so I don't expect to find much, the only issue I run into is that sometimes it takes a long time to start, about twice as long as a normal 6.0L.

As far as my tools, I have basic hand tools to take things apart, I have Youtube to figure out how to take them apart, and I have a CTS 2 to monitor the vitals (coolant and oil are usually within 1-2* of each other).

2005 F-350 Lariat, studded, Sinister diesel EGR delete, Sinister diesel coolant filter, MBRP 4" straight pipe, Banks ram air intake, SCT X4 tuner, blue spring, EGT sensor, fuel pressure sensor, 4" lift, 08 style mirrors, 35x12.5R20 Toyo RT

SOLD:
2006 Ford F-250 King Ranch FX4 crew cab short bed
4" flood lights for back up lights, High idle switch, 2008-16 tail lights, 2011-16 style 6.0 Powerstroke badging, Edge Insight CTS2, Blue spring mod, Viofo A119 dash cam, 275/70R18 BFG KO2, 2017 style mirrors, 2.5" lift coils, F-350 blocks in the rear, Riffraff CAC boots, Backup camera with spot lights in the rear, SCT X4 tuner, Fab Fours black steel series bumper with pre-runner guard, Mishimoto coolant filter, 4" Diamond eye turbo back straight pipe exhaust, 18x8.5 American Eagle Alloy Hardrock series 0168, 7.3L Fan clutch (Hayden 2835), Spyder LED tube projector headlights

2011 F-350 King Ranch FX4 crew cab long bed 325/65R18 BFG KO2, 18x8.5 American Eagle Alloy Hardrock series 0168, Steelcraft Elevation Bullnose Front Bumper, 20" front light bar, MBRP 4" DPF delete competition pipe, SCT GTX tuner with Tyrant tunes, Rough Country 1.5" leveling kit, Auxbeam LED headlights and fog lights, platinum style grill, black mirror lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-10-2017, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Read the stickies. There is a lot to digest regarding the 6.0 and testing. Too much to regurgitate here....

Ross
2006 f-250 CCSB king ranch diesel 4x4. Stock w/ air bags, rancho 9000s, and coolant filter.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-10-2017, 12:44 PM
HMM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Garage
If it's not puking out the degas bottle and all your vitals are good then I'd not worry (FICM voltage and diff temps, etc).

I'm at 145k and I haven't had to do anything besides normal maintenance items (oil, shocks, filters) since I did head studs. I figure the next thing I'll need is injectors but who knows, they might last for another 100k.
Red Ford likes this.

2006 Dark Shadow Gray Harley #898
The Following User Says Thank You to HMM For This Useful Post:
dte64 (09-10-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-10-2017, 12:58 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Ford View Post
I'm a little tired of this KR interior so I'm looking at getting it re-done but I want to make sure the truck is in good working order before I go spend a small fortune getting my seats re-done.

What should I check and how do I check to make sure my truck is in good running condition? I drive about 130 miles every day and have no issues so I don't expect to find much, the only issue I run into is that sometimes it takes a long time to start, about twice as long as a normal 6.0L.

As far as my tools, I have basic hand tools to take things apart, I have Youtube to figure out how to take them apart, and I have a CTS 2 to monitor the vitals (coolant and oil are usually within 1-2* of each other).
Just buy the Outlaw interior. It will look good against the white and your interior unless Ford charges an arm and a leg. Ill give u my vin if u want it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 F250 Lariat Outlaw
Stock Motor
5" MBRP Catback
post #5 of 6 Old 09-10-2017, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudah View Post
Just buy the Outlaw interior. It will look good against the white and your interior unless Ford charges an arm and a leg. Ill give u my vin if u want it.

Thank you, I've been thinking about the red leather because it does look good and I already have red under the hood. I don't think it'd be right though just because the truck is a King Ranch, what I'd be doing is going to Katzkin (I think that's their name?) and getting seat covers that mimic the look of the new interiors with the KR color in the center and black around. This is what I'd be doing.

I am thinking about just doing the solid brown though because there is nothing else black in the interior so I'm going back and forth with that idea.

As far as health of the truck, I've read a few of the stickies (far from all of them lol), checked the deltas, temps are within spec, degas bottle has never given me issue, and the truck is 100% stock (EGR limited with the SCT and blue spring mod done). My only issue right now is the slow start thing, it'll start up fine but when it's warm it starts slow. I'm hoping / thinking it's a dummy plug issue.

2005 F-350 Lariat, studded, Sinister diesel EGR delete, Sinister diesel coolant filter, MBRP 4" straight pipe, Banks ram air intake, SCT X4 tuner, blue spring, EGT sensor, fuel pressure sensor, 4" lift, 08 style mirrors, 35x12.5R20 Toyo RT

SOLD:
2006 Ford F-250 King Ranch FX4 crew cab short bed
4" flood lights for back up lights, High idle switch, 2008-16 tail lights, 2011-16 style 6.0 Powerstroke badging, Edge Insight CTS2, Blue spring mod, Viofo A119 dash cam, 275/70R18 BFG KO2, 2017 style mirrors, 2.5" lift coils, F-350 blocks in the rear, Riffraff CAC boots, Backup camera with spot lights in the rear, SCT X4 tuner, Fab Fours black steel series bumper with pre-runner guard, Mishimoto coolant filter, 4" Diamond eye turbo back straight pipe exhaust, 18x8.5 American Eagle Alloy Hardrock series 0168, 7.3L Fan clutch (Hayden 2835), Spyder LED tube projector headlights

2011 F-350 King Ranch FX4 crew cab long bed 325/65R18 BFG KO2, 18x8.5 American Eagle Alloy Hardrock series 0168, Steelcraft Elevation Bullnose Front Bumper, 20" front light bar, MBRP 4" DPF delete competition pipe, SCT GTX tuner with Tyrant tunes, Rough Country 1.5" leveling kit, Auxbeam LED headlights and fog lights, platinum style grill, black mirror lights
post #6 of 6 Old 09-10-2017, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Slow start could be dummy plugs or STC fitting. If the original STC has not been changed yet, you may want to fix it before it fails completey and leaves you stranded or worse yet, cracks the back cover requiring engine to be pulled.

Ross
2006 f-250 CCSB king ranch diesel 4x4. Stock w/ air bags, rancho 9000s, and coolant filter.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rossterman For This Useful Post:
Red Ford (09-10-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode