Progress has slowed to a crawl…but has not stopped. To be honest, it still seems like this project in one aspect or another, is consuming most of our weekends, so the lack of visible progress is really taking its toll on our ambition to push through what has become a project gridlock. In retrospect, although somewhat counterintuitive, it probably would have been easier to have performed this swap using as much as possible from the Dodge, then going back and making further upgrades. When looking at the engine and tranny sitting in an open frame, it is really difficult to visualize how everything will need to mesh together in order to fit. Of course, it would also be quite helpful to have a completed vehicle to refer to, because just looking at pictures from other forums doesn’t always depict how tightly things must fit.
Now that we are working within the confines of an engine bay and what is left to do is pretty much custom, we really wish we would have been able to make the bracketry needed to hold everything in place before dropping the cab back on the frame.
We didn’t find any other blogs that showed the ECM mounted in a place that we liked, and because of the motor mounts that we used, the OEM spot was not an option. Fortunately, there are a lot of other holes on the driver’s side of the motor that are available for hanging things. We ended up sharing 2 of the holes that were already being used by the motor mounts, along with 2 of the holes on the upper block (under the intake manifold). Of course, the holes didn’t line up with those in the ECM, so we had to make a bracket to tie the two together. Mounting the ECM in this location did require that the pressure switch be relocate and the original location closed with an m14 x 1.5 plug.
Next, was to figure out where to hang the transmission filters (the OEM bypass filter as well as a Dieselsite filter). The Dieselsite filter was originally installed on the passenger side frame, but we never liked that spot, so now was the time to fix address that issue. Also, we didn’t appear to have enough room for the bypass filter in its original location, so re-routing the transmission lines to the front was going to happen anyway.
We still are not certain exactly what space will be consumed by the turbos and their plumbing so rather than risk having to relocate the filters again to make room for such items, we opted play it safe, by use the hoses that came with the Dieselsite kit and attaching them directly to the transmission, and then route them up and over the top of the tranny, to the driver’s side. Due to the ECM, fuel filters, and dual battery tray that were already in the plans for the driver’s side of the bay, real estate on this side of the engine was getting rather tight. At 1st, it appeared that was only going to be room for a single filter in that location (without creating a cluster of jumbled hoses which would be mixed with the fuel lines), but eventually it dawned on us that the clutter could be greatly simplified if the 2 filters were coupled together. This seemed like a simple concept, but because of differences in the filter designs, it took a little engineering to make this work. For starters, I needed to come up with some way to hang them. The bypass filter has mounting holes which ended up facing the engine, making them inaccessible once tucked up against the engine, so made a sub bracket for the bypass filter, so could be supported from the top (like the other filter). Since the 2 filters must straddle the dip stick, placement must be precise. We tied into the bracket for the ECM (allowing for us to avoid the need to match up more holes on the side of the engine with the bracket for the filters.
For fuel, as previously discussed we began with harpooning the tank, along with some other in-tank mods and installing a sump. From there, ½ inch hose was run to a pre-filter mounted above the real axle, and then to the fuel pump.
The 6.0 fuel pump was replaced with a 6.7 pump (mounted on the driver’s side frame similar to the original). It will contain a secondary filter/water separator. Then ½” copper lines were run from the pump to the engine bay. In order to assure that the injectors received clean fuel, another pair of filters was added post-pump. The pump can supply 80+ psi, which is more than enough for pushing fuel through the filters to the CP3. In fact, the pressure will be too high for the CP3, so a fuel pressure regulator was needed. The transfer case and drive shaft eliminated the possibility of mounting filters between the frame rails. Due to concern that they would be too susceptible to damage if left hanging on the side of the frame we decided to mount them off of the side of the engine (in the vicinity of the original fuel filter). Fitting the two larger filters and the pressure regulator turned out to be a bit more challenging than initially anticipated…but at least for now we think we have a good solution.
The heat sink trans cooler on top, is really just a good looking way to route the excess fuel from the top of the pressure regulator, towards the rear of the engine (it likely will not really be needed given the copper fuel lines). A manual gauge should make it easy to adjust the pressure regulator.