24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old 08-13-2017, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Need some help/advice

So all started saturday when I decided I was going to pull my injectors and get #3 to quit having stiction issues. Instead of pulling only the troublesome I decided to pull all four from the passenger side. Well using a 1/4' socket with a t40 bit I loosened all of them, and when finishing on #7 I pull my ratchet out and the torx had slid out from the tape, nowhere to be found with no clanking anywhere.

So after searching all over with flashlights and mirrors I decided I'd drain the oil. No luck

I assumed I'd be left with dropping the oil pan. A pain in the butt, but with DTR's video no problem just pull the radiator bolts, the trans line, motor mount bolts and lift it up. Well, made it all the way until the turbo was pushing up on the body and it wouldn't come passed the pan.

So now I decided that I'd pull the turbo, just enough to get the last couple inches (weird since it was only supposed to need a couple inches lift to begin with). Well now I'm jacked it up as far as it will go. I noticed that it seems the PO shimmed the motor mounts, and the bottom edges of my pan seem to be dented.

I have zero idea what to do next, and I'm supposed to be taking the camper out this weekend to nashville for the eclipse.

summary of questions below.

1. why are there shims below the motor mounts?

2. is my pan a correct one? It had red gasket maker all around it so I assume it's been pulled before? Are the 450 pans different? Could the PO have put the wrong pan on causing a fit issue the fixed by putting in shims.

3. What are the odds that the torx bit actually fell down the oil galley hole. I know it didnt' fall down in the injector bored, I had loosened all the clamps and hadn't yet pulled out any of the injectors.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm kind of at my whits end and kicking myself for not just dealing with the stiction for the weekend and fighting this. Hindsight being 20-20 and all. Pictures attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170813_171407.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	4.34 MB
ID:	641130   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170813_171459.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	4.12 MB
ID:	641138   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170813_171418.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	3.80 MB
ID:	641146   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170813_171426.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	5.06 MB
ID:	641154  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 08-13-2017, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm new to all this, and just watched a clip on pulling injectors and T40 bit. I can only offer moral support and feel your pain.
post #3 of 41 Old 08-13-2017, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard2 View Post
I'm new to all this, and just watched a clip on pulling injectors and T40 bit. I can only offer moral support and feel your pain.
Thanks for the support haha.

So a quick update tonight for anyone that takes interest and can help me out. I think I've id'd what the pan mixup is. I've attached a couple more pictures of mine, along with pictures of the f250,f350,450, and EX pan, as well as a picture of the van pan. Looks like the PO put a van pan on the truck which is causing my headache of removing it. Check it out below and give me your opinion on it.

As far as locating the torx I've ran a piece of wire down the oil galley and knocked nothing loose. I also put a funnel down the galley back there and dumped about 3/4 gallon of used oil to see if I could hear anything come loose. Nothing still in the pan, I fished around down inside. Tomorrow after work I'm going to try and put an air gun down there and see if I can blow anything out or at least hear something rattle around. From there I see two options really.

1. cut the back part of the pan on the truck and pick up the correct pan. Pull down the upper pan and get a clear look at the whole passageway. I like this option because of being able to see everything and not having a shoddy job with shimmed motor mounts. I really could strangle the PO.

2. This option I'm hesitant to do, because I will forever expect imminent failure, but if I hear nothing rattle around when I put the air gun to it I could seal it up like it is, reshim the motor mounts and leave it there until after the trip next weekend. I'd have to make sure my good sam club roadside assistance is paid and be mentally prepared for a catastrophic event.

Obviously I'd rather do option one, and I'm sure that's the advice I will get, but it's going to be a bear to do all of this before Saturday AM if I cut and paste another pan, especially if I get this van pan down and dont find the dang torx bit.

Anyway advice would be appreciated, see the attached pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170813-205820.png
Views:	56
Size:	371.8 KB
ID:	641186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170813-210730.png
Views:	74
Size:	387.9 KB
ID:	641194   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170813_210438.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	3.85 MB
ID:	641202   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170813_210457.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	4.73 MB
ID:	641210   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170813_210525.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	4.95 MB
ID:	641218  

Last edited by looking4psd; 08-13-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old 08-13-2017, 08:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I feel your pain about losing the socket, I lost a 5/16", 1/4" drive socket while changing my air cleaner and could not find it. I never did find it by the way. Do you have access to a inspection camera, that way you can look down any holes you think it might have fell in. Did you bring the ratchet over the engine or did you swing it out and away and maybe got lucky and it fell down outside the engine? As for the oil pan, if you did not have any issues you could seal it back up and go on the trip. Or you could order a new oil pan and change it out while you have everything torn apart. That is gonna be all up to you. There is a possibility that the bit did not drop in the engine.
post #5 of 41 Old 08-14-2017, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72jerry98 View Post
I feel your pain about losing the socket, I lost a 5/16", 1/4" drive socket while changing my air cleaner and could not find it. I never did find it by the way. Do you have access to a inspection camera, that way you can look down any holes you think it might have fell in. Did you bring the ratchet over the engine or did you swing it out and away and maybe got lucky and it fell down outside the engine? As for the oil pan, if you did not have any issues you could seal it back up and go on the trip. Or you could order a new oil pan and change it out while you have everything torn apart. That is gonna be all up to you. There is a possibility that the bit did not drop in the engine.
I took the ratchet right towards the airbox from #7. Really uneasy about buttoning it back up. Decided last night that today I'm going to call two powerstroke shops in town and see if either of them have pans from junk motors that are in good shape that I could buy. If so I will probably pick one up and cut the van pan out. I'll sleep a lot easier being able to get a full inspection.

If I dont have any luck sourcing a pan locally I will put the air gun to it, listen and feel around in the pan again. If I dont find anything I will probably seal it up and run it until I get home next weekend, then work on getting a pan sourced and tearing back down to inspect and replace.
post #6 of 41 Old 08-14-2017, 06:17 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,066 Times in 939 Posts
Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Just seeing this. Yes, I'd get the van pan out of there. There seems to be all sorts of good in that solution except the time constraint.

The weird crap people will do with cars and houses. It never ceases to amaze me.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLinkô LX, Autometer EGT
post #7 of 41 Old 08-14-2017, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The only thing I can think of is using a magnet in the areas where the torx bit may be lurking.

Retired 21 years active duty, US Army 173rd Airborne Brig. 11B40 - Vietnam Combat veteran 1968/'69
post #8 of 41 Old 08-14-2017, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
Just seeing this. Yes, I'd get the van pan out of there. There seems to be all sorts of good in that solution except the time constraint.

The weird crap people will do with cars and houses. It never ceases to amaze me.
I know. It drives me crazy. To go through the trouble of cutting shims.... Would have been easier to just put the right pan in there. I guess I should expect nothing less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
The only thing I can think of is using a magnet in the areas where the torx bit may be lurking.
I've gone down this route as well. Had a magnet down the oil galley and all. I've almost convinced myself it didn't fall, but until I find it it will drive me crazy.
post #9 of 41 Old 08-14-2017, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

@djmaguire

So lets say I drop the pan and replace with the correct pan and still dont find the bit. Would you feel confident in buttoning it back up at that point?
post #10 of 41 Old 08-14-2017, 07:09 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,066 Times in 939 Posts
Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'd say so. Air and a magnet and a bore scope (if you can) means that you did all you could short of turning the engine upside down and shaking it.

Chances are that bit is wedged behind a heat shield or something. All you can do is do your best to establish that it's likely not where it shouldn't be.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLinkô LX, Autometer EGT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode