24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 41 Old 08-15-2017, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 785 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk285 View Post
Since this hasn't been brought up yet....and I'm unsure myself since I haven't done one of these personally.....

The upper oil pan is also different in the van chassis, does a truck pan still bolt up to an E-series upper pan? @fordsvtparts any insight here Mike?
Not sure on that one. The pickup tube is different as well, and I'd think that may cause issues as well.
nighthawk285 likes this.

We are Autonation Ford of White Bear Lake selling all OEM Ford parts at employee prices (formerly Tousley)

Call us at 1-800-328-9552 (be sure to mention this website when calling)
OR check out our website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'll meet or or beat any price on OEM parts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fordsvtparts For This Useful Post:
looking4psd (08-16-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 Old 08-15-2017, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordsvtparts View Post
Not sure on that one. The pickup tube is different as well, and I'd think that may cause issues as well.
Well I really appreciate the response anyway. Game plan is to put the injectors, oil rail and valve cover back on tomorrow. The pan is set to arrive on Thursday so I will give it a good look over before cutting the old one off. I wouldn't give the PO enough credit to have changed the upper pan and pickup tube, from what I've seen he took as many shortcuts as possible.

If I happen to find the bit while buttoning it back up I may just save the pan swap until after we return home, but it's too easy to just do it now while I'm 90% of the way there. Crossing my fingers that there are no issues.

Thanks again for the responses guys.
post #23 of 41 Old 08-15-2017, 08:56 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,066 Times in 939 Posts
Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Are you sure that's the original engine for the truck? I could see some goof putting on the wrong pan, sure. But - at this point - it seems more likely that someone threw an E-series engine in that bad boy for the cost of motor mount shims and some top end parts swapping.

I'm not trying to be depressing. I'm thinking that the situation may be more clear if you can tell what really got you here.
hoodshauler likes this.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLinkô LX, Autometer EGT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djmaguire For This Useful Post:
looking4psd (08-16-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 41 Old 08-15-2017, 09:27 PM
AMERICA!

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Since this hasn't been brought up yet....and I'm unsure myself since I haven't done one of these personally.....

The upper oil pan is also different in the van chassis, does a truck pan still bolt up to an E-series upper pan? @fordsvtparts any insight here Mike?
Quote:
I want to say I'm pretty sure you can use them interchangeably, but thought it was worth the mention.....would hate for you to get that far and then be up the proverbial creek without even a boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
Are you sure that's the original engine for the truck? I could see some goof putting on the wrong pan, sure. But - at this point - it seems more likely that someone threw an E-series engine in that bad boy for the cost of motor mount shims and some top end parts swapping.

I'm not trying to be depressing. I'm thinking that the situation may be more clear if you can tell what really got you here.
These guys might be on to something here... ^^^

2004 F250 CC Lariat 4x4

BPD FICM, BPD billet water pump, BPD VK688 oil cooler kit, S&B CAI, MTW stage 2, TSD tunes, Auto Meter gauges, Edge CTS, Sinister coolant filter, Blue spring, 6.4 banjo bolts, Straight piped w/ 6" single mitre stack, Pro Comp leveling kit, 05-07 HD headlights, Xenon-Vision 5k HIDs, Fumoto block drain valves, ELC, High idle mod

Quote:
I'm guessing that you didn't lose nearly as much as it appeared. Spills are like that. The last beer that I spilled was like a million ounces.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rattlesnake18 For This Useful Post:
looking4psd (08-16-2017)
post #25 of 41 Old 08-16-2017, 05:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

At this point no I'm not, but hoping since the pan was resealed with RTV then it was just a pan swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake18 View Post
These guys might be on to something here... ^^^
I do too. This is definitely why I come here and stick around. There's nothing better when you're struggling through something that bouncing it around with a bunch of knowledgeable people who are also so quick and willing to help.
Rattlesnake18 likes this.
post #26 of 41 Old 08-16-2017, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

One thing that gives me a sliver of hope it's just a pan swap is the valve covers shows the truck HP numbers instead of the de-tuned numbers for the van....

I know I'm kind of grasping here but holding hope I wont run into any issues.
post #27 of 41 Old 08-16-2017, 06:21 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,066 Times in 939 Posts
Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I don't think that your situation is bad either way. It's more of a Zen issue.

My truck is a late 2004 chassis cab. In 2007, Ford replaced the engine. When Ford swaps engines, though, they like to keep the engine in as original a configuration as possible. That said, no self respecting tech is going to put on parts known to be inferior. ...plus, they are all trying to do it as inexpensively as possible. As such, I ended up with an interesting mix.

All of this happened long before I bought it, so figuring it out took a small bit of effort. Knowing it all makes things that I encounter not so weird.

That was the angle that I was coming from. There is no wrong answer, in my mind. Just an answer.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLinkô LX, Autometer EGT
post #28 of 41 Old 08-16-2017, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't think that your situation is bad either way. It's more of a Zen issue.

My truck is a late 2004 chassis cab. In 2007, Ford replaced the engine. When Ford swaps engines, though, they like to keep the engine in as original a configuration as possible. That said, no self respecting tech is going to put on parts known to be inferior. ...plus, they are all trying to do it as inexpensively as possible. As such, I ended up with an interesting mix.

All of this happened long before I bought it, so figuring it out took a small bit of effort. Knowing it all makes things that I encounter not so weird.

That was the angle that I was coming from. There is no wrong answer, in my mind. Just an answer.
I hear you and I agree it won't be a big deal once it's all ironed out. The only reason this has been such an escalated issue for me is the time constraint. Otherwise I'd be a bit more relaxed about the whole ordeal.
djmaguire likes this.
post #29 of 41 Old 08-17-2017, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Got everything assembled and torqued under the valve cover last night. Valve cover harnesses, and GPM installed. Pan gets delivered today so hoping to button it all up tonight so I can drive it tomorrow to make sure I have no hidden HPO leaks once hot. I'd hate to find that halfway into my trip pulling my travel trailer.

At this point it's looking promising to be finished for the trip as long as there are no issues with the upper pan or pickup. Still haven't located the torx, hoping to find it stuck somewhere in the upper pan tonight so I can rest easy.

Backup plan for pulling the trailer is the wife's Tahoe, definitely not ideal. Here's to hoping tonight is smooth sailing.
post #30 of 41 Old 08-17-2017, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Well got an update and it's pretty bitter sweet.

First the oil pan cut out great. I used a harbor freight pneumatic hacksaw and cut a bit out of the top of the van pan. Definitely make good work of it. Awesome tool if anyone ever needs it. After getting the pan down I looked and felt around, as well as stuck my magnet up above the upper pan with no luck. So I proceeded to pull the upper pan. To my surprise I found it, it was sitting right on top of the crank. Depending on the trajectory it took I could have been okay, or I could have been in big trouble had it wedged between the block and crank on that first revolution.

Obviously I was thrilled that all of this difficulty had netted me a torx bit and I hadn't done all of this work for nothing. But then, like a couple of comments on here pointed, I started lining the pans up and tried to sit the upper pan on top of the truck pan (the right one). As you can see the upper pan is shaped a bit different, definitely not going to get it done in time for Saturday morning without a miracle.

I called the local Ford dealer and he again quoted me full retail, no price matching to ANWBL and he didn't have it in stock. The only place in town that has it in stock was a shop near where I work. I will be calling there tomorrow, but not too hopeful that they'll quote me and decent price, retail is $442.90. At this point it looks like I'll be pulling with the Tahoe haha.

Pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170817_172140.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	3.83 MB
ID:	641946   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170817_172038.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	3.58 MB
ID:	641954   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170817_170336.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	3.99 MB
ID:	641962   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170817_172042.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	3.42 MB
ID:	641970   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170817_171806.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	4.16 MB
ID:	641978  

Rattlesnake18 and djmaguire like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode