Premium Member

Thanked 1,079 Times in 1,008 Posts
Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Quoted: 2583 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudah View Post
I used to have a small business fabricating turbo and supercharger kits for small engined cars. dealt with many bad Chinese casting BS parts from customers. I hear your concerns. I am asking as well because Im looking at what is required, costs etc. Domestic/ trucks ae a different animal from what Im used to.

Personally im swaying at rebuild options atm, but if the KC heads are worth looking at, Ill look at em.

Not to derail but the Ball bearing turbo seems to be a phenomenon here in Diesel truck land. Really hope I can scoop up the S2R when I do my engine rebuild.
My Kill Devil Diesel heads are supposed to show up tomorrow. I plan to post pics and my opinion on the castings and build quality, but it may be the weekend before I can really get time to study them. I believe @joe blow may already have his.

I'm not a machinist (though I do have a mill and a lathe), nor am I a professional mechanic or engine builder (though I do have a shop and some tools ), but I have built my share of engines for DD and race use. I plan to inspect the heads thoroughly and if I have issues with them I'll say so.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SPD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
The Following User Says Thank You to G8orFord For This Useful Post:
backhoebill (08-09-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 121 Old 08-09-2017, 12:28 PM

Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,785 Posts
Mentioned: 711 Post(s)
Quoted: 3999 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool
glad to have some first hand users here
SparkyF250 likes this.

6.0 flush pdf
post #23 of 121 Old 08-09-2017, 12:51 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 3345 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by backhoebill View Post
I am driving to New Mexico for my sis-in-law's wedding next month, about 1,000 miles one-way. I fully plan on trusting my build well before I leave. I will post. Burnout will be on day 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You know what I meant. (Pay a visit to the visit the ripoff jerk)
But burnout videos are good too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggededge1293 View Post
I think I know who that is.. her name is Becky, found the number on a bathroom stall at the exit 233 rest stop in Florida (best part.. no teeth) haha
Nope, she's from Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
I can't establish the warranty on these KillDevil Heads ( waiting for a reply )

and any head can look super from the outside, but here are just a few casting issues you can have Identifying Casting Defects | AFS

I have no idea what to do myself so I am no longer trying to sway anyone away from these heads but just voicing my own concerns
Charlie's website said everything he sells has a 1 yr warranty.
When @G8torFord and @joe blow (maybe the OP too) get their builds done we'll get some first hand info. In the mean time we'll have @backhoebill 's UFC job for a baseline. We'll have to keep after the 3 of them for updates.
backhoebill and G8orFord like this.

Sparky

2005 F250 CCSB KR 4x4 6.0 4" Flo-Pro,
Fox 2.0s, Toyo ATs, CTS2 Pro, Blue Spring, BPD 7.3 Fan Clutch, IPR Coolant Filter

2000 F350 SCLB Dually 4x4, 7.3 6 Speed Hydra, CTS2, S&B Air, 4'' SS Diamond Eye

2005 Explorer XLT 4x4 Mountaineer,
Toyo ATs, Wife's grocery getter

1993 F150 4x4, 302 5 speed, winter truck

Last edited by SparkyF250; 08-09-2017 at 12:54 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SparkyF250 For This Useful Post:
Flamed99 (12-29-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 121 Old 08-09-2017, 12:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
For sure. Mine will be a slow build as I work and gone for days at a time. I probably wont take any overtimes this month and have more days to mess with it.

I just finalized the order with Charlie for the heads, 175/30's with new spool valves (his recommendation) and the ADII4G he also recommended......plus the 900.00 FORD parts order I have in hand.

I must say I am excited to finally be doing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyF250 View Post
You know what I meant. (Pay a visit to the visit the ripoff jerk)

Nope, she's from Ohio

Charlie's website said everything he sells has a 1 yr warranty.
When @G8torFord and @joe blow (maybe the OP too) get their builds done we'll get some first hand info. In the mean time we'll have @backhoebill 's UFC job for a baseline. We'll have to keep after the 3 of them for updates.

2004/Kill Devil O-ringed heads/Studs(finally)/Warren 175-30's/ADII/KC StageII/BPD everything/ODAWG S2R Ported Intake/CX racing IC/Gearhead Tunes/WPE RR...........FINALLY DONE and (still) NO LEAKS!

Joe

post #25 of 121 Old 08-09-2017, 12:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Great. After talking to Jared and getting the full explanation on the start to finish of these heads, I am pretty sure they will be everything we expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
My Kill Devil Diesel heads are supposed to show up tomorrow. I plan to post pics and my opinion on the castings and build quality, but it may be the weekend before I can really get time to study them. I believe @joe blow may already have his.

I'm not a machinist (though I do have a mill and a lathe), nor am I a professional mechanic or engine builder (though I do have a shop and some tools ), but I have built my share of engines for DD and race use. I plan to inspect the heads thoroughly and if I have issues with them I'll say so.
G8orFord likes this.

2004/Kill Devil O-ringed heads/Studs(finally)/Warren 175-30's/ADII/KC StageII/BPD everything/ODAWG S2R Ported Intake/CX racing IC/Gearhead Tunes/WPE RR...........FINALLY DONE and (still) NO LEAKS!

Joe

post #26 of 121 Old 08-09-2017, 01:33 PM
6.0 Powerstroke n00b

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Not sure if you've seen these posts by Jared
Thanks, a nice read for sure.

Quote:
I completely agree that most of the crap we import on a daily basis from china can barely be described as crap,
Yep LOL, all you have to do is watch a Chinese made Harbor Freight tool bend right before your very eyes to know this is true.

That being said, I see a common theme from head vendors to brag about how great their completed head is but skirt around the issue of where the bare casting comes from. If I'm going to drop $2000+ for heads I want to know who the hell made them.

That's why all things considered, I believe that if your OE heads pass inspection, its best to have them rebuilt by whomever you trust. I never said anything about using your OE compromised heads and patching them up, keeping in mind that minor cracks around valve seats are common.

There's a huge difference in rebuilding your own KNOWN heads with KNOWN history verses unknown heads from a junk yard, etc. That's also why I hang on to known OE heads like they are gold, just in case I need them later.

Internationals early QC seemed to be crap compared to later QC in the 6.0 production run. So I would value a 2004.5+ head more than the early ones.
G8orFord likes this.

2006 6.0 F250 FX4

Last edited by krazyk; 08-09-2017 at 01:36 PM.
post #27 of 121 Old 08-09-2017, 02:08 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to backhoebill
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
@krazyk

Not sure if you've seen these posts by Jared ( @Gearhead2012 ), so I figured I'd link them.

I think we all want a quality casting, and to be honest, the OEM option has a little to be desired. I've read many threads on how bad they are to spider crack, valve seat cracks, injector bore cracks, etc. While I completely agree that most of the crap we import on a daily basis from china can barely be described as crap, the Chinese people, historically, are actually a very quality minded race and have produced some pretty amazing things over the years. They got this little wall over there that's pretty impressive. I realize this has very little to do with casting a quality head, but the point I'm trying to make is if the buyer (middleman) over here demands quality, they can produce it in spades, but if they (middleman) have no concern over the quality, then they are probably going to get crap. The end user is the one who ultimately gets screwed, all in the name of profit.

Agreed. I have a friend who owns an exhaust manufacturing business in Temecula, CA that has a manufacturing facility in China, and one in Mexico. He told me that his quality stays high with his products, because he demands it. When the vendor allows crap, and passes it on to the customer, that is exactly what they get. MAC products will not tolerate crap, and therefore pays maybe a bit more to produce a product that he does not have to warranty. Quality control is in HIS control, because he will not pay for crap. This is true with others as well. I wish I would have seen this before I bought my UCF heads. I definitely would have given them a try. No regrets though. I think I will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ZMANN, peixinho, Boudah and 2 others like this.

'06 F250 4x4, 280,xxx hard miles, ARP studded and o-ringed, Bulletproof EGR cooler, IPR coolant filter, blue spring, CSF 6028 intercooler, KC S2R, 4" turbo back, SPD & Herc FICM tune, SCT Livewire, PI converter, occasional Archoil, Mobil 1 Synthetic, Cat elc, Warn bumper and 16.5 winch in front & aftermarket mystery bumper in rear, dent in floorboard under throttle
post #28 of 121 Old 08-22-2017, 02:05 PM
6.0 Powerstroke n00b

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Garage
Well, did you get your question answered as to who these heads are cast by and where????????????

2006 6.0 F250 FX4
post #29 of 121 Old 08-22-2017, 09:54 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 282 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgerMT View Post
I would say two blondes same time ...and if you have an erection lasting more than 4 hours call your doctor.

Sorry could resist...

PS I went with Promaxx so far so good

LOL... I am with you. I prefer young blondes!
BridgerMT likes this.

KC Turbos

Warren Diesel Dealer
My Current Build Thread

Current Setup 190/30 and KC 64mm Stage 2 turbo
post #30 of 121 Old 08-22-2017, 09:54 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 282 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
Cool
glad to have some first hand users here
What about me? How come I don't count as a first hand user?

KC Turbos

Warren Diesel Dealer
My Current Build Thread

Current Setup 190/30 and KC 64mm Stage 2 turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode