LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 08-07-2017, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Check Engine Light

2007 stock F350 6.0
I really appreciate the help with steering and flush procedure. Thanks guys...
Next up is the check engine light. I've never owned anything this new, so am not equipped with monitoring or scanning tools. I need to get there. When I bought this truck, the PO told me the check engine light was on because 1 glow plug was bad. After I bought it, I took it to a local mechanic for a quick look mainly for a list of repairs so I wouldn't have to pay so much sales tax. He said the check engine light wasn't due to glow plugs, but turbo underboost, exhaust back pressure caused by turbo and sensor related issues.
It starts quickly when hot, and ok when cold if I cycle the glow plugs several times. Without cycling glow plugs, on cold start, it cranks a few times and emits a small amount of white smoke.
As for the turbo, after reading some posts here, I gave it a few hard, max throttle accelerations. On the 1st one, the boost needle went to the red line. After that, it went to about 20. On a flat highway, with no load, not towing, not accelerating, at 60 mph, it runs about 7 #.
I'm not sure how to proceed with trouble shooting this. Are there any tests I can run without a scanner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-07-2017, 06:48 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Garage

I would get a monitor it will be helpfully for your future...
Others will chime in on the rest....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New 2019 F350 CCLB Platinum
Last Truck 2006 F350 CCLB KR

I'm out old man. I'm just a pecker-wood who lives in the woods with too many guns. Ya happy?"
post #3 of 14 Old 08-08-2017, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Ok, so I see some are using an adaptor and Torque Pro. One recommendation by Torque Pro is the Scantool.net adaptor. Scantool seem to have scanning software as well. I'm uninformed and pretty confused over all this.
Torque Pro is cheap, Scantool is a lot more. Is the extra cost really worth it for a hobbyist. Can Torque Pro and Scantool also monitor, or do I need something different to monitor? For monitoring, I'd like something with alarms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 08-08-2017, 11:11 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,081 Times in 1,009 Posts
Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Quoted: 2591 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The Scantool.net adapters (MX and LX)do come with some basic software, but it's not really as functional as Torque Pro.
Assuming you use Android devices, Torque Pro with an OBDlink MX will work quite well. The OBDlink adapters are more expensive than most, but they are high quality, high speed devices. There are a lot of cheap options out there, but I don't think any of them really stack up the the MX or even the LX. The MX adapter also reads the CAN protocols that you would need for the higher end diagnostics softwares available. It's not needed for general monitoring, but I have used mine on many vehicles for other diagnostics.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #5 of 14 Old 08-08-2017, 12:31 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,066 Times in 939 Posts
Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
^^^ Agree. I use the LX. Always works just fine. The MX and the LX have the same rated speed but the LX does not have CAN. There used to be a big price difference between the MX and LX. Now, not so much.

Torque has a compatible adapter page here:
https://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Bluetooth_Adapters

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLinkô LX, Autometer EGT
post #6 of 14 Old 08-08-2017, 02:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I must be the only one that doesn't like the OBDlink. I got the LX and it's seems flaky compared with the BAFX that was half the price. It doesn't reconnect easily, and I end up farting around with bluetooth on/off and plug/unplug the adapter. It also sometimes causes the dash on my truck to freeze for a few seconds when torque connects to it. After that I see codes set for "network error". I'm trying to like it cause it's more $ which must mean it's better, but having a hard time.

'07 E-350, 6.0L, 5R110W, 3.55:1 semi-float, BFG A/T, factory tow, torque pro monitoring. 115K miles.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-08-2017, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks. Sounds like this might be a good starting point for a dumb newbie old fart like me?
I think you also answered a future question. The MX is compatible with other software such as AE if I want to upgrade later.
I'm also having trouble keeping up with all the acronyms...what is CAN?
post #8 of 14 Old 08-08-2017, 03:42 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,066 Times in 939 Posts
Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps365 View Post
I must be the only one that doesn't like the OBDlink. ...
One thing that I do - and it is simply habit - is shut down Torque when I shut down the truck. I never touch the adapter. It stays plugged in all of the time. For that matter, the tablet stays on and powered most all of the time. Torque just didn't like the truck to be shut down and restarted while it remained running.

I never sorted out whether it was Torque's issue or the adapter. I assumed Torque. But tapping the screen to shut it off never bothered me. That may help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard2 View Post
...what is CAN?
CAN = "Controller Area Network" It is a communication protocol for devices to communicate to each other. If you were designing an audio amplifier that changed its equalization based on RPM, you could connect it to the CAN-bus and request the RPM from the transmission, let's say.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLinkô LX, Autometer EGT
The Following User Says Thank You to djmaguire For This Useful Post:
ps365 (08-08-2017)
post #9 of 14 Old 08-08-2017, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

I just ordered the ScanTool MX.
What are you guys running your Torque Pro software on? Will my Android with 6" screen work, or should I be thinking about a small laptop?
post #10 of 14 Old 08-08-2017, 06:23 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,081 Times in 1,009 Posts
Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Quoted: 2591 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Torque only runs on Android. I use a 10" Samsung tablet, but pretty much any android device will do.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode