LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2017, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can I prime LPOP system with turbo out

Greetings, I'm just about done rebuilding my 6.0 and I've just filled it with 4qts in the oil filter supply and the 10 qts in the turbo oil drain tube. Injectors are out as I just want to get oil pressure in the lpop system before I install the HPOP rails to get the lifters and rockers happy. I'm thinking I can block off the Turbo oil supply port in the Oil cooler cover to do this. Maybe I'm over thinking it and should just keep putting it back together and deal with it in my Excursion all buttoned up. Thanks for your feedback. I do plan on filling the HPOP rails and possibly use my vacuum extractor to pull a vacuum on the rails to get the air out as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Almost done 6.0 rebuild.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	628378  

6.0 heads are like onions: Peels off more than the skin and they'll make you cry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2017, 07:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 333 Post(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Sure, just block the turbo feed port. Will be fine

The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.
-Michelangelo
Old 06-09-2017, 08:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
On the past couple engines I have built, I have actually filled the oil under pressure while still on a stand. First, I pressurize the LP system and pump in around half the oil. Then, I do the HP system with the small plugs removed from the rails. I pump oil into the HP system until I get no bubbles coming from them.

Last one I did, I had over 500psi on the first crank. FICM relay was out. Put the relay back in, and she lit right up and idled smooth as a babys bottom!

I used a paint pressure pot. Google it and you will see pictures of what I am talking about. Made up some fittings with some old fuel line parts and old turbo feed line.

LP I went in the turbo feed port using an old feed line cut in half.

HP I went in one of the plugs. Used some old fittings from the fuel filter housing and some old fuel lines.

I'm sure I can dig up pics if you need.
kaya and G8orFord like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2017, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Thank you Kaya and Shim, excellent feedback!! Sorry I didn't respond sooner I've been going like gang busters taking my old engine out of my Excursion.

6.0 heads are like onions: Peels off more than the skin and they'll make you cry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in