LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 05-07-2017, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Syd
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New here

I just posted about an oil leak but wanted to just post about my truck. Im new to the diesel world. This is my first ever. Its a 2004 Excursion 4x4 Limited. I bought it used about a year ago. The truck had about 220k when i bought it. Runs fantastic. The truck appears to be a totally stock example. No tuners or mods whatsover. Thats the way i like it though. I personally dont need any more power than what this truck has. I didnt get any records with the vehicle but i got a heck of a deal and couldnt pass it up. Ive done a long trip in it that was 4000 miles roundtrip. On the way back was hauling 6000 pounds of classic car and trailer. Truck performed flawlessly. Fuel mileage is actually better than i expected from an almost 8000 pound rig. My only plans for mods are new tires which i plan on going to a 285 a/t instead of the 265. Im gonna run these until needed though. Also a front mount hitch. Other than that im just gonna drive it. I change the oil every 5000 with Motorcraft filter and Walmart 15 40 heavy duty diesel oil. I hope i dont get much flak about my oil choice. Ive used the Walmart brand in many vehicles through the years without an issue. Its also under 10 bucks a gallon which is nice. Ive purchased fuel filters but have yet to install. I will look up the interval on that. Anyways thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-07-2017, 05:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Read up on HEUI injectors and why the 6.0L has stiction issues. IMO it isn't so much engine lubrication as it is injector longevity that requires the need for a quality synthetic oil.

You didn't want oil feedback, but oh well.

oil change interval is a max of 7500 miles (most go 5000).

fuel change is a max of 15,000 miles, but it highly depends on fuel quality.

Transmission fluid changes at least every 30k miles and change the external filter each time.

Motorcraft filters only (International and Racor are the same as the Motorcraft).

Low fuel pressure is not good for injectors. It would be wise to add on a gauge for it.

An electronic scan tool for reading live engine parameters is pretty necessary for these vehicles. If you haven't already, I would watch the oil and coolant temps (fully warmed up and driving 65-70 mph) and determine if you have a healthy oil cooler (no more than a 15 degree differential).

Lastly - read up on coolant choices.
Rattlesnake18 and mhatlen like this.

Last edited by bismic; 05-07-2017 at 05:48 PM.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-07-2017, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Syd
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the info. I don't mind feedback about my oil choice at all. I totally appreciate it. I will read up on the things you mentioned. I'm here to learn. I also hope to help others with any knowledge i have or learn. Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode