LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 102 Old 12-17-2016, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
"Must do" mods?

Well guys, I'm spinning my wheels here as to what I should be doing to the truck. Probably just a classic case of over thinking things but I want as many opinions as possible. My goal with any modification I do to the truck is just to reduce the chance of a brake down / preserve the truck for as long as possible, I want to be able to drive from the Northern tip of Canada down to South America and back without worrying about a break down.

The only consistent answer I've gotten is gauges to monitor EGTs, trans temp, and coolant temp. I'm still trying to figure out a way I'd like to do that as I'm not a big fan of gauges and I'd rather have it on a screen like my GPS. Anyone know of anything like that?

I seem to be getting about a 50/50 split on doing ARP head studs and an EGR delete, anyone want to put forth their opinions on them and why you have that opinion?

Right now I have $4k to comfortably put into the truck, I could push it up to $5k if it'd be worth it. What should I do with this money? This is in a completely different "fund" than the rainy day fund for repairs and brake downs. This truck is completely 100% stock, just did an oil change and trans fluid change, working on diff fluid change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 102 Old 12-17-2016, 08:29 PM
AMERICA!

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Get an Edge CTS2 and you can have info on a screen. You can get some EAS add ons to monitor the stuff you want and even add cameras. If I was wanting to make a trip like you said then I would want to be able monitor as much as I could, which the CTS can do with the right add ons. The CTS will also allow you to pull codes for trouble shooting. PHP has a CTS2 unit now that will do all of that and tune your truck, you should look it up and see if it suits your needs. @[email protected] can get you hooked with a CTS2 or @cthursto09 if you want the PHP option.

IMO... if you have the money to do head gaskets, studs and other items known to be issues then I would to be safe and have a better peace of mind, otherwise, deal with the issues as they arise.
jokester00 and Red Ford like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 F250 CC Lariat 4x4

BPD FICM, BPD billet water pump, BPD VK688 oil cooler kit, S&B CAI, MTW stage 2, TSD tunes, Auto Meter gauges, Edge CTS, Sinister coolant filter, Blue spring, 6.4 banjo bolts, Straight piped w/ 6" single mitre stack, Pro Comp leveling kit, 05-07 HD headlights, Xenon-Vision 5k HIDs, Fumoto block drain valves, ELC, High idle mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
I'm guessing that you didn't lose nearly as much as it appeared. Spills are like that. The last beer that I spilled was like a million ounces.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Rattlesnake18; 12-17-2016 at 08:34 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake18 For This Useful Post:
[email protected] (12-18-2016)
post #3 of 102 Old 12-17-2016, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Buy an edge CTS2 and drive the hell out of it. Read up on what to monitor and then decide what to do. I would also add a coolant pressure gauge in the cab so that you can monitor the coolant pressures also.
jokester00 and Red Ford like this.

2005 Lariat CCSB
Stock Motor
157,500 miles
edge insight cts II/egt probe
coolant pressure gauge in cab
high idle mod
muffler delete
cat delete/stock straight pipe exhaust
IPR coolant filter (Removed!!!! spring 2017)
EGR welded shut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 102 Old 12-17-2016, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks guys, I'll look into the Edge CTS.

What is EAS and PHP? You say I can add cameras, so I can put a backup cam on and wire it to the Edge CTS2?
post #5 of 102 Old 12-17-2016, 08:34 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
For where you want to go, I would forgo the normal bulletproofing and invest in a good toolbox,spare parts and a 51 gallon or larger tank. I think a breakdown kit will be key. Also some antitheft device like a ravelco kill switch. What i mentioned above will be $5k.

I would not fix it if its not broke.
post #6 of 102 Old 12-17-2016, 08:37 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
I spent alot bulletproofing and as soon as i got it out of the shop, the starter went, then the alternator. Bulletproofing is never-endingand a bbottomless pit if not done right.
Red Ford and jbritt40 like this.
post #7 of 102 Old 12-17-2016, 08:41 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Garage
#1 is get a monitor for sure! I personally like the Edge Insight CTS2 myself, but there are other less expensive options out there. The one good thing about the CTS or CTS2 is that you can add on accessories (fuel pressure gauge, degas pressure gauge, EGT probe, etc.) with their EAS system. Not to mention, it sits on a bracket that suctions to the windshield and runs down to the OBDII connector just like you're looking for. Then, you can monitor most all critical PID's on the truck either from the PCM or through your EAS inputs.

Again, this is just my opinion.

-jokester
Red Ford likes this.

2005 F350 CCLB FX4 Lariat
SCT SF3 - Currently running PHP 80hp Daily Driver Tune with Atlas 40 FICM Tune
Edge Insight CTS2 monitor
Edge EAS EGT probe
Edge EAS Fuel Pressure Sensor

Last edited by jokester00; 12-17-2016 at 08:42 PM. Reason: It always takes me too long to type a reply...dang OCD!!
post #8 of 102 Old 12-17-2016, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So for the Edge CTS / CTS 2, what is the difference between 1 and 2? Also would you be concerned about buying one used? I can get a new CTS 2 for $429.99 online, or a used CTS for $200 (Craigslist).
post #9 of 102 Old 12-17-2016, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSki View Post
For where you want to go, I would forgo the normal bulletproofing and invest in a good toolbox,spare parts and a 51 gallon or larger tank. I think a breakdown kit will be key. Also some antitheft device like a ravelco kill switch. What i mentioned above will be $5k.

I would not fix it if its not broke.
What would be considered "normal bulletproofing"? Would that be BPD FICM, oil cooler, and billet water pump? Does that include EGR delete and head stud kit?
post #10 of 102 Old 12-17-2016, 11:45 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The most important thing for me was monitoring. Immediately after that was a coolant filter. I drove for a while with the original coolant (ford gold) cleaning as I drove 1000 miles or so. I wanted to clean the cooling system as much as possible. Next was the egr delete,SCT live wire and coolant change.
As far as I have read and talked to owners ,it's all about the coolant!!!!
Red Ford likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode