Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Torque Pro PID question

10K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  Krogoth 
#1 ·
I'm trying to find out how to get my Torque Converter Slip PID to function. Currently it doesn't give a reading at all. I've tried googling to find an alternate formula to out in but I'm coming up dry.

Anyone else have this PID working?

Or as a bonus care to share any of your useful custom. PIDs? Currently I have the oil-coolant delta, and FICM sync.

#2 ·
Not sure if the TC slip works on our trucks. The extended PIDs are not just for the 6.0. You might try editing the PID and changing the OBD header to TCM and see what happens.

You can find a few additional PIDs here:
https://torque-bhp.com/forums/?wpforumaction=viewtopic&t=798.6

They've been compiling them for several years now. Most are contained in the Extended PID set, but there are a few that have to be entered manually.

#4 ·
I think Torque has a PID that will tell you if it's locked or unlocked but you should be able to tell whether it's locked or not by the way it drives.

#7 ·
You changed the header to point to the transmission control module (TCM) instead of "AUTO" which was probably defaulting the PCM.

#8 ·
I need to learn how to make gauges with this app. Its super freaking handy, Im loving torque pro. Just got my $15 cheap adapter since my OBDMX adapter seems to have connection issues.

Anyways, now I want to find out if I can monitor the ECM signal that commands the torque converter to lockup and release. Apparently my transmission is locking up the torque converter and refusing to unlock, for I dont know what reason yet.

#10 ·
Found this on the Torque forum. Can't guarantee the accuracy, but it appears to work.

Also found this. Which uses ICPv to calculate pressure instead of relying on the built-in ICP PID. Helpful for those running tunes where the ICP pressure is fooled to increase performance. Again, no guarantees of accuracy.

#11 ·
Thank you, the torque forum is a pain to search through, I don't know how you manage it.

So with no guarantee of accuracy, I wonder how I could verify its accuracy and adjust the formulas. I'll add those two and give them a try. I'm guessing the easiest way would be to set it back to a stock tune and see if they match what my stock values give me?

#12 ·
The ICPv appears to be pretty close. I get ~0.24v at KOEO and ~0.80v at idle with ECT at about 150°. I'll test it a bit more when I drive next time.

The pressure PID is another story, it seems a bit low to me. I think it was in the 500s and even down into the 400s at idle. So it may still need some tweaking. I found both PIDs here: https://torque-bhp.com/forums/?wpforumaction=viewtopic&t=6442.00 and a reference to a thread by @bismic on FTE where he and @Lilpooh were discussing it for the Dashboss. It would be cool if one of them chimed in. If you're on stock tuning, you should get better coorelation.

#15 ·
Im on a PHP tune currently. At idle, the ICPv Pressure PID routinely will drop below 400psi, and I believe if that was true, wouldnt the engine cutoff? As far as Im aware, 500psi is the minimum to keep the engine running? So, it being low wouldnt surprise me. But as the other poster after you said, it isnt exactly linear.

#13 ·
Yes, you won't get good results at lower pressures with a linear equation because the ICP pressure-to-voltage curve it not terribly linear down there.

The PCM can handle it because it is put in the form of a map - like everything in a PCM.

You could piecewise-linearize it for Torque by breaking the curve into two regions. ...but you'll still have deviations - particularly at the intersection.

Attachments

#16 · (Edited)
500 psi is required to crank, not to run. Granted, I doubt you'll run long staying under 500psi,but it won't just shut off. I ran a test and changed the equation based on the info by @bismic and the numbers look quite a bit better. I haven't driven it yet, but the idle and high idle numbers seemed more reasonable. The equation is ugly and could probably be simplified, but it was late and Anheuser-Busch gave their blessing.

(38.033*(((((A*256)+B)*(72/10000))/100)^2)))+(666.07*(((A*256)+B)*(72/10000)/100))

I agree with @djmaguire, deriving the pressure from this voltage reading will only be close and it will be somewhat erratic due to minor voltage changes resulting in more drastic pressure changes, but it's more accurate than the built-in HPOP PID if you're running a tune. (At least once the equation is input properly)

#17 ·
Welp, I have a new phone now and lost some of my custom PIDs and cant figure out how to change the headers and formulas for the PIDs native to Torque Pro.

Anyone got the FICM and PCM sync PIDs? I for the life of me cant remember where I got those ones from. Ive found most of my other PIDs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.