11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 Old 09-13-2016, 09:29 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1540 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Just make sure bear traps are legal in your state. If they are you are 500% covered if a thief gets caught.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 09-14-2016, 04:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Where do you guys live with all the attempted break ins? Years ago when I lived in va beach I chained my 3 year old rottie to the front porch after my old truck was broken into.... Worked like a charm, woulda loved to see their faces the first time he charged off the porch after them!
post #13 of 19 Old 09-14-2016, 05:38 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
These trucks have topped the "most stolen" list in Canada for a while now:

http://www.ibc.ca/on/auto/theft/top-ten-stolen-cars

Theft insurance on my truck is stupid expensive.

vitamin joe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Ford F-350 Lariat FX4 4x4 SRW
322411 km (200337 miles) as of Apr 13, 2018
14.88 avg mpg (last 12 months)

Delo ELC - CAT EC-1 . EGR Cooler Deleted . Edge Juice Platinum with Attitude . Blue Spring Upgrade . Sinister Diesel Coolant Filter. AFE Magnum FORCE PRO 5R Stage-2 CAI . Warn Premium Locking Hubs . 2.5 inch Rough Country Leveling Kit . Leece Neville 230 Amp Alternator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 Old 09-15-2016, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl6.0 View Post
I ALWAYS pull a fuse before leaving it unattended.
I have a ghost switch system of my own design on my 99. The system passively sets every time the ignition is turned off, and a door is opened. It requires TWO simultaneous actions to reset every time the ignition is turned on. There is no indication of what it takes from outside the truck, even if being watched. It is interfaced into the GWA of the alarm, so if the alarm is set, the system can not be reset. My system disables cranking as well as the PCM power. If the thief jumps the solenoid under the hood to crank it, it still won't start, but now he's making noise with all the cranking. The system and alarm is totally un-detectable by looking under the dash or steering column. If you can't find it, you can't defeat it. Plus, because it is a one-off design, it would take way too much time to figure out how to defeat it. It took about 75 hours to design and install. It has been 100% reliable, and the peace of mind it gives me, every time I shut it off, is reassuring.

I've been told by knowledgeable people that my system will probably save my truck, but the thief will be pissed and do a lot a vandalism to it. Like kick the dash in, slash the seats, stuff like that. Oh well, I'd rather still have it than it be gone forever.

A well thought out Ghost Switch is more reliable than "pulling a fuse" because you're protected every time you shut it off. Thanks for sharing your situation. Nice to know that if they don't start, they remain where you left them.

Last edited by DaveP.; 09-15-2016 at 10:01 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaveP. For This Useful Post:
Mtl6.0 (09-16-2016), wellcraft (09-16-2016)
post #15 of 19 Old 09-16-2016, 05:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP. View Post
I have a ghost switch system of my own design on my 99. The system passively sets every time the ignition is turned off, and a door is opened. It requires TWO simultaneous actions to reset every time the ignition is turned on. There is no indication of what it takes from outside the truck, even if being watched. It is interfaced into the GWA of the alarm, so if the alarm is set, the system can not be reset. My system disables cranking as well as the PCM power. If the thief jumps the solenoid under the hood to crank it, it still won't start, but now he's making noise with all the cranking. The system and alarm is totally un-detectable by looking under the dash or steering column. If you can't find it, you can't defeat it. Plus, because it is a one-off design, it would take way too much time to figure out how to defeat it. It took about 75 hours to design and install. It has been 100% reliable, and the peace of mind it gives me, every time I shut it off, is reassuring.

I've been told by knowledgeable people that my system will probably save my truck, but the thief will be pissed and do a lot a vandalism to it. Like kick the dash in, slash the seats, stuff like that. Oh well, I'd rather still have it than it be gone forever.

A well thought out Ghost Switch is more reliable than "pulling a fuse" because you're protected every time you shut it off. Thanks for sharing your situation. Nice to know that if they don't start, they remain where you left them.
@DaveP. would you mind sharing your Ghost Switch Design through email? I can't sleep at night when I have my truck at someone else's house or somewhere I'm not from Paranoia. That would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like it for their truck.
post #16 of 19 Old 09-16-2016, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
With multiple theft attempts I hope you went out and bought a decent alarm system (like viper with a tilt sensor for towing and perimeter sensor to warn theifs away before even getting close to the truck). Also always park facing in with the tires fully turned to left or right so if they try and tow it, it will be going caddywampus down the street which might cause a cop to pull them over and check it out..
SparkyF250 likes this.
post #17 of 19 Old 09-16-2016, 11:30 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Unfortunately my F350 is too tall and long to fit in the garage so it has to sit in the drive way. Like you guys I'm paranoid about my truck not being in the driveway when I get up.

I lost my 78 F250 4x4 to a thief. I remember my son asking me "Dad did you lone your truck to someone?" Still makes me sick thinking about it. I eventually got it back- with a $10,000 repair estimate. It had a one-of-a-kind alarm custom built. Never did find out how they took it.

To keep my truck safe at home it has a Stealth remote kill switch- won't even turn over. Automatically sets when you turn off the motor. A Marksman Extreme alarm system- has a remote with a screen like a cell phone that shows you what part of the truck is being screwed with, the remote sounds an alarm and works up to 2 miles. Just remember to keep it close when you're in the house. The alarm shuts everything down, doors, tail gate, camper shell door are all wired, tilt alarm, glass break sensor, screamer siren inside the cab, another siren under the hood. And to top it off a heavy Master Lock club. If my truck is home it has a Covercraft Weathershield cover on it. That's not to say it will never be stolen but it will kicking and screaming when they try and take it.

I was thinking of putting a hydraulically driven rusty spike in the drivers seat to be operated by a pressure switch because of losing my F250. Kind of like a quite IED, except for the thief screaming. Only have to replace the drivers seat upholstery.

05 F350, Banks IQ, 6-gun, intercooler, intake, ram air, exhaust, speed brake, converter, ARP studs, BPD coolers, Blue Spring, ICON lift, Donahue Racing Shocks, Fox Dual Steering Stabilizers, BPD 7.3 fan, clutch, Nitto Terra Grapplers, Vision Shell, Bed Rug
post #18 of 19 Old 09-16-2016, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I will be designing an electrical interlock for it defeating multiple critical systems after this. Thank goodness for having the electrical diagram service manual.

Thanks for your insight Dave P. I like the self-activating feature you mentioned and will be incorporating that idea.
SparkyF250 likes this.
post #19 of 19 Old 09-16-2016, 02:56 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I used to have a 99 Silverado and it had a little key type thing that had to be plugged in, in order for the vehicle to have any power. Whenever I left the truck for any amount of time or at times when I felt I was at risk of theft, I just unplugged it and took the key thing inside with me. I can't tell you much else about it since the previous owner had it put in. But when it was unplugged there was zero power to the vehicle at all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode