post #21 of 29 Old 08-28-2016, 08:24 PM
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
You're welcome.
SparkyF250 likes this.

l BRYAN l

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
COMPIGNTECH .COM

Look us up on Facebook
COMPRESSION IGNITION TECHNOLOGIES

l 2005 l Ford F250 l FTX l
[A Few Odds-N-Ends]

[CENTER]DLR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 08-29-2016, 05:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
You're welcome.
Whoops! Pardon my excitement, I forgot to say thanks! So THANK YOU!!!!
mhatlen and SparkyF250 like this.
post #23 of 29 Old 08-29-2016, 06:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Awesome, glad it was an easy fix.

P.S. plug in your EGR valve and put it somewhere, its function factors into the fan running unless you went with the 7 3 conversion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 Old 08-29-2016, 11:30 AM
Premium Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Glad it's running!

How does she drive?

2004 - F-550 Crew Cab ZF-6

post #25 of 29 Old 09-02-2016, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiZor9 View Post
Awesome, glad it was an easy fix.
P.S. plug in your EGR valve and put it somewhere, its function factors into the fan running unless you went with the 7 3 conversion.

Will go do that now. I haven't done the 7.3 conversion yet - but its near the top of the list of things to do next. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLTHFJ60 View Post
Glad it's running!
How does she drive?

She feels more solid now. She felt "tired" before I did all of this work. She doesn't feel so labored now and bit more robust. Start up is more consistent than it was because of changing the nipple cup seals (I think, I did have 2 seals on the passenger side rail that were worn out). I'm taking it easy for the first 100 miles or so, then I'm going to open the top again and re-torque the head studs one more time to make sure its fully clamped (even studs will stretch ever so slightly on their initial use).

This is just the first round of things I'm going to do over the next couple of years

Got my dipstick replaced so now I don't have oil flying all over the top of my motor. Put the Fumoto valve on when I did the oil change - nearly forgot to do it again.

Unfortunately I think I damaged my power steering lines while working on her. She now has a leak. I have run out of gas to work on her for right now so I got one of the tank mechanics I work with to look it and track down where it was coming from. At first he thought it was ATF and that I had a tranny line leaking somewhere because the fluid was slightly reddish. But then he found the line and checked the PS reservoir and found it very low. Not good on a hydroboost brake system. So.....that is an immediate fix. Considering its a 10-year old truck I'm probably just going to replace both the pressure & return lines so I don't have worry about it again for a few years. I'll be in there, may as well do both.
SWSS likes this.
post #26 of 29 Old 09-08-2016, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Here's some of the few pictures I stopped to take while working on the truck.

1a - I spent a lot of time cleaning the engine after I got it taken apart. I think those efforts are worth a picture to start out with. I also saved the oil change for the end so that anything that went down in the block would go out with the old oil. I left the old head bolts in to ensure less stuff would get down in the bolt holes and only took them out when it was time to work in that area. Keeping the bolts in the holes also helped push some of the oil out of the holes and reduced the amount of time I had to spend cleaning out the holes.

1b - a lesson learned: if I had to do it again, before putting the heads back on I would connect the IPR plug and lay the rest of the injector harness on top of the dash area by the windshield wipers. This would be to prevent me forgetting to hook it up again and have everything in place. This is a step to prevent my forgetfulness. I would suggest everyone else do this step immediately after the heads are on and torqued down. Work your way from the back of the engine to the front during reassembly (ya kinda have to anyway, but I tend to get excited and forget steps occasionally and have to go back and redo some things because of incorrect order of assembly).

2 - Here is a comparison of the old STC fitting (still mounted on HP pump) and the new solid single-piece fitting that replaced it. Kit came with the alignment tool, made it fairly easy to replace.

I watched FordTechMakuloco's video on how to do it:

3 - Here's a picture of the part number from the replacement dipstick I got from the dealership. This is for the T-handle stick, not the loop type.

4 - Here's a comparison shot of the early OEM style glow plug harness versus the updated newer type. The first connector I tried to pull out crumbled from age/brittleness, this shot is of the rear plug connector that came out a little easier. The tool to remove them goes in the slot just below the belt-buckle looking piece on the body of the plug. At the top you can see where I got angry and just yanked the rest of the old harness out when the first one crumbled. The newer one has a lot more material above to the tool slot to prevent that problem. I ended up spending another $60 on replacement harnesses from RockAuto. But, in retrospect, it was worth the money to replace the old harness and if I ever come across one of these old ones again I'm going to get rid of it and replace it with a newer one.

If I had been more knowledgeable on working on this engine before I started the work I would have stopped to take more pictures. However, I was learning as I went along and having to do a lot of homework/internet research. So from now on, there will be plenty of pictures taken as I continue the upgrade phases on this truck.

NOTE: I have confirmed it is my hydroboost lines that are leaking. So for future reference, if anyone is going to do the in-cab head gasket work like I did, you don't have to disconnect the power steering pump, just dismount if from the block and move it off to the side before lowering the driver's side of the engine. This may also make it easier to get to the engine mount bolts on the front. If you leave it connected you'll stretch the lines like I did.

I hope this helps you guys some.
Sock Puppet likes this.

Last edited by Tanker3278; 09-08-2016 at 12:20 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tanker3278 For This Useful Post:
GLTHFJ60 (09-12-2016), Sock Puppet (09-09-2016)
post #27 of 29 Old 09-09-2016, 09:11 AM
Premium Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Nice work man!!

2004 - F-550 Crew Cab ZF-6

post #28 of 29 Old 09-09-2016, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
awesome work and great write up
post #29 of 29 Old 09-17-2016, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

Today is the test of if I did the work correctly or not:
1,000 miles from Ft. Hood, TX to Ft. Knox, KY in one run.

Fluid levels checked.
Fuel topped off.
AR9100 Friction Modifier added.
Topping off at my favorite bagel shop.
AM radio cranked (FM doesn't work)

Puts on a black felt fedora and sun shades
"We're on a mission from Gott"
LOL!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode