Electrical Buzz on accel and decel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-10-2016, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
GET MY ENEMA BUCKET BRO!!

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Electrical Buzz on accel and decel

so i made another post a while back about the radio making a buzz on acceleration but it stopped at 2k rpms in 3rd gear. now when slowing below 2k rpms at like 50mph to about 600rpm at 10mph i can hear what i thought was like a howl/whine. talked to a friend and he said if it isnt grounded right it can do this. this also started after i switched out the old 115alt to the 135. im in the middle of a 2k mile trip and last night i noticed it was buzzing but then went away later. there is no other problems with the truck, drives fine, got 18.5 mpg from mississippi to texas last night.

i know it isnt a leak in the up pipes(sadly i wanted to get new headers/y pipe) if i put it in neutral and rev there is no noise. so im thinking about just ordering the bigger gauged wires and re wiring the batteries and alternator but i remember someone saying its easier to just link

anyone ever had electrical buzz when rpms go up or down with a load?

coolant-filter-EGR delete-blue spring-ARP's-BPD oil cooler-5in exhaust-horn blasters shocker kit-SCT running SRL++-beans tank sump-BPD water pump-and 4x4 complete
DEUS VULT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-10-2016, 12:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Can you verify the connections, positive leads are all tightened down on the alternator. Verify you have good voltages on the ficm and battery after glow plug cycle.

Where did you get your new alternator from?

Josh
1999 Mustang GT Convertible
Now my DD
400rwhp/407rwtq of Supercharged fun

2004 F250 CCSB FX4 Dark Shadow Gray Sold
DE Turboback, IPR EGR delete, SCT tuned by Looney, Pro Comp 315/70/17 on 17x9 Mickey Classic Lock Blacks, Leveled on Pro Comp Springs 1.5 rear block

I sell Amsoil!
post #3 of 9 Old 08-10-2016, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiZor9 View Post
Can you verify the connections, positive leads are all tightened down on the alternator. Verify you have good voltages on the ficm and battery after glow plug cycle.

Where did you get your new alternator from?
i believe the alt was a MC i got from oreillys, ill check terminals. voltage for ficm was fine. new batts recently aswell. ficm voltage was 47.5-48 and the other voltages for the ficm i can see were 13-13.5

coolant-filter-EGR delete-blue spring-ARP's-BPD oil cooler-5in exhaust-horn blasters shocker kit-SCT running SRL++-beans tank sump-BPD water pump-and 4x4 complete
DEUS VULT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-10-2016, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
It sounds like your head unit could be picking up feed back.. do you have an aftermarket radio or stock?

Swamps 300cc/400% sticks, SRP 1.1, Hypermax stage 1 cam, Comp Cams 910 units, DI chromoly pushrods, Crower billet rods, Mahle coated pistons with Spirolox pin retainers weight matched, Fully billet BTS transmission, 6.0 tranny cooler, CR racing aftermarket intercooler, Air Dog 150gph , Irate Diesel RR, Swamps IDM, H11 head studs and ARP main studs, Motor completely built by me and me only. Shes a true Cummins Killer
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Big Red Cheif FTW
post #5 of 9 Old 08-10-2016, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3 powerchoke View Post
It sounds like your head unit could be picking up feed back.. do you have an aftermarket radio or stock?
stock unit. but the guy before me had a system. the acceleration hum is different sound from the decel whine/howl. it also is coming from a different area. like right behind the dash almost

DEUS VULT
post #6 of 9 Old 08-10-2016, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

okay check battery terminals tight. checked cable on the alt. tight. checked driver side ground. tight. couldnt find ground for passenger side

DEUS VULT
post #7 of 9 Old 08-10-2016, 03:58 PM

Even though you said it was a MC, it may have been bad out of the box. I had the positive post nut loose on my Mustang and it led to a flickering battery light and radio feedback too. Try powering the radio off next time it does it.

Josh
1999 Mustang GT Convertible
Now my DD
400rwhp/407rwtq of Supercharged fun

2004 F250 CCSB FX4 Dark Shadow Gray Sold
DE Turboback, IPR EGR delete, SCT tuned by Looney, Pro Comp 315/70/17 on 17x9 Mickey Classic Lock Blacks, Leveled on Pro Comp Springs 1.5 rear block

I sell Amsoil!
post #8 of 9 Old 08-10-2016, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiZor9 View Post
Even though you said it was a MC, it may have been bad out of the box. I had the positive post nut loose on my Mustang and it led to a flickering battery light and radio feedback too. Try powering the radio off next time it does it.
i checked alt, its all tight and i have watched my battery voltage and it reads fine. altho yes it indeed could be bad.

my alternator has the 1 red cable with a nut on it and then the pigtail with a plug into it with only 2 small wires. is this right?

DEUS VULT
post #9 of 9 Old 08-10-2016, 06:23 PM

It's been awhile since I had my truck. But yes, that's all I remember being in the connector. See if repeating the sound during your next drive can be eliminated by powering the radio off or switching input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode