LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #34591 of 35058 Old 11-30-2019, 08:13 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbsfield18 View Post
Are the Milwaukee Fuel cordless ratchets any good? If so, is it best to get a 3/8" with adapters for 1/2" and 1/4" or just get a 1/2" with a 3/8" adapter?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I have the 1/4” Milwaukee cordless off of a recommendation off of one of DTRs videos. I use it to take bolts off and put them on. Does not have enough torque to break the tighter bolts free, but starting them with any wrench will work. I think the size of the 1/4” wrench is also a little smaller which helps get into smaller places better.

Honestly though working on my vehicles, most jobs are so short the cordless ratchet sits on the shelf and I just use a regular socket wrench.

I’m looking at a 1/2” Milwaukee impact wrench to take the big rusted bolts off.
john galt, SparkyF250 and Red Ford like this.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good 6.0 Reading:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34592 of 35058 Old 11-30-2019, 09:11 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to backhoebill
Quote:
Are the Milwaukee Fuel cordless ratchets any good? If so, is it best to get a 3/8" with adapters for 1/2" and 1/4" or just get a 1/2" with a 3/8" adapter?

I have the 3/8” M12. I use it often. As said, it isn’t super strong, as most air ratchets aren’t strong like an impact. I pull on the M12, like with any ratchet, to break loose bolts if I have space to pull it. Then squeeze and let it do the work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'06 F250 4x4, 280,xxx hard miles, ARP studded and o-ringed, Bulletproof EGR cooler, IPR coolant filter, blue spring, CSF 6028 intercooler, KC S2R, 4" turbo back, SPD & Herc FICM tune, SCT Livewire, PI converter, occasional Archoil, Mobil 1 Synthetic, Cat elc, Warn bumper and 16.5 winch in front & aftermarket mystery bumper in rear, dent in floorboard under throttle
post #34593 of 35058 Old 11-30-2019, 09:13 PM
Mr. Crossthread

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 1905 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
For all I know it could've been doing it since day one and I've just never noticed it
Like I said, it climbs back to 48v and stays there

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
It's normal for older FICMs but not good, I would keep an eye on it on cold starts.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Justin

2005 F250 300,000 miles

ARP Studs - OEM Gaskets - Machined Heads - EGR Delete - 4" Straight Pipe Axle Dump - MBRP Up-pipes - Holder's 175/Stock Injectors - KC Stage 2 63.5mm - Custom Water/Meth Injection - Beans Diesel Sump - PHP FICM Tuner - SCT X4 - TSD Tunes - Riff Raff Boots and Clamps - Coolant Filter - Blue Spring - CCV Reroute - Custom Big 3 Upgrade - Viper Remote Start - Aluminum Radiator
Check out MPA, those guys are pretty decent

TPB!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34594 of 35058 Old 11-30-2019, 09:25 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 3346 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
I have a 3/8" and use it a lot, only has about 25-30 lbs of torque. I want to get the 1/2" next. Couldn't see the need for a 1/4" but if I had one I'm sure I'd use it. I do use the 1/4" impact quite a bit, pretty handy with the quick change bits. And from all my research only get genuine batteries whether M12 or M18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSki View Post
I have the 1/4” Milwaukee cordless off of a recommendation off of one of DTRs videos. I use it to take bolts off and put them on. Does not have enough torque to break the tighter bolts free, but starting them with any wrench will work. I think the size of the 1/4” wrench is also a little smaller which helps get into smaller places better.

Honestly though working on my vehicles, most jobs are so short the cordless ratchet sits on the shelf and I just use a regular socket wrench.

I’m looking at a 1/2” Milwaukee impact wrench to take the big rusted bolts off.
You'll love the 1/2" impact, one of my all time favorite tools. It's heavier than air but it works circles around my old air impact. The one I linked earlier from a seller on fleabay was the best deal I could find. Brand new from an authorized seller for under $200 Get the high torque fuel! I also have 1/4" and a 3/8" Fuel impacts, the 1/4" is light and handy, I used it to drive all the screws last year when I built my pump house plus you can get square drive 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 bits so it's handy on vehicles too. I bought a 1/2" for my son for school and he put it head to head with another kid who has a snap-on, he said the Milwaukee out performed it easily and he only has a 5 AH battery. I found a 2 pack of 6 AH batteries for about $120, if you don't use it that much you can easily get by with one battery. Mine was out the whole time I was doing the 5 speed swap in the Ranger and it still had half the battery left. The only battery I had to charge on that whole job was the M12 on the ratchet.
For home use a 5 AH battery is prolly plenty, I wouldn't get anything smaller. If you don't already have an M18 charger I found a genuine 5 AH battery and charger for under $100, that's what I got for the kid. You can always pick up a second battery later. I have extras because of my farm shop, I'm always working on something plus I have multiple tools. The 6 AH added a surprising amount of extra weight over the 5 AH but it lasts forever. I probably would have been fine with 5's, where the 6's shine is drilling holes in fence posts or doing a lot of driving screws on a building project. They don't add power just longer life.
One thing, you gotta watch fleabay to get genuine stuff, the clones look very deceptive. If it says "for" Milwaukee it's a clone

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Milwaukee-2...72.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-M...IAAOSwzY1dDE9k

Sparky

2005 F250 CCSB KR 4x4 6.0 4" Flo-Pro,
Fox 2.0s, Toyo ATs, CTS2 Pro, Blue Spring, BPD 7.3 Fan Clutch, IPR Coolant Filter

2000 F350 SCLB Dually 4x4, 7.3 6 Speed Hydra, CTS2, S&B Air, 4'' SS Diamond Eye

2005 Explorer XLT 4x4 Mountaineer,
Toyo ATs, Wife's grocery getter

1993 F150 4x4, 302 5 speed, winter truck

post #34595 of 35058 Old 11-30-2019, 09:38 PM
california deplorable

Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Quoted: 3174 Post(s)
Quote:

i got the 1/4 and run a 3/8 adapter most of the time the torque wasnt so different between the to and it gets int o smaller spaces
first real job i used it on was my daughter had the water pup in her jeep go out. its been a good little truck and worth every penny i paid for it but its a PITA to work on.
that little wrench paid for itself right there on that one job
as was said i use it to bust em loose then let it do the work by the time i got down there and got all the tools etc i needed to do the job with her having both electric ad manual fan clutches... it was 3 pm before i even started and she got off work at 4:30 and i wanted to pick her up in the jeep. didn't quite make it but it was way closer than it would have been with just a ratchet. had to send the wife off in the caddy to get her but it worked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhoebill View Post
I have the 3/8” M12. I use it often. As said, it isn’t super strong, as most air ratchets aren’t strong like an impact. I pull on the M12, like with any ratchet, to break loose bolts if I have space to pull it. Then squeeze and let it do the work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^^^this
i am sold on mine and will grab a 3/8 when i get the chance just to have both on hand.
i got the little 12 volt impact wrench and damn if that thing didn't bust the lugs lose on the wifes caddy
100fp to spec and while it was about the limit of the thing... i was still impressed it broke them loose.
now i need a full collection of Milwaukee stuff
the 18 volt impact would bust the lugs on the truck no problem from what i hear and would be a great addition at some point
SparkyF250 likes this.

I like mead

early 04 f350 6.0 cclb lariat sr
Bulletproof oil &egr, elc, sct x3, edge CTS, afe intake, blue spring, t-500, MTW stage 2, Vivians looney, 305 x55x20 bfg at ko's, 4 inch cat back, 4"BDS fox shocks and steering stabilizer, tri pilar gauge set, coolant filter, riff raff boots, new headliner, 7 inch touch screen w/back up, new carpet, near whole new interior,

FederalOwnershipRespectfullyDeclined

Last edited by john galt; 11-30-2019 at 11:37 PM.
post #34596 of 35058 Old 12-01-2019, 07:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Weberman3
Quote:

There has only been a couple of times, but I would almost get the non fuel. The head is a lot bigger and has harmed me a few times. That being said, I have the 3/8 and love it. I went with 3/8 because the sockets go down decently small but also go up pretty big too. Anything besides that, its probably delicate enough I wouldn't want to use the ratchet or big enough that I should be using the impact.

2004 F350 XLT 6.0L ZF6 CCSB
ARP Head Studs, EGR Delete, 4" Turboback, Fuel Sump, Coolant Filter, NUC Oil Bypass Filter
Kenwood DDX372BT with Rear View Camera, Rockford Fosgate P1683 speakers, Infinity REF1200 subwoofers
post #34597 of 35058 Old 12-01-2019, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
@ChrisSki @SparkyF250 @john galt @backhoebill @Weberman3 I hope I'm not missing anyone. I was thinking maybe the fuel and non fuel version of the 3/8" would be nice because there is a 20 ft/lb of difference between the two and a could adapt up or down with one adapter. The only reason I could see using a 1/4" adapter is for not being able to wrench in tight spaces. Seems like the size difference between the fuel and non fuel will warrant enough to get them both. I'd like to have all 6, but that's a little overkill.

Are the ratchet head covers worth getting? Seems like they just keep the wrench all pretty...

I'll likely break all of the 1/2" and 3/8" jobs by hand then just use the cordless to speed up the job. If it's something on the suspension side of things, I'll like get one of the 1/2 fuel M18's from CPO, there are some really good combo deals on there.

Although, I'm about to do my front end and the 1/2" might be pretty beneficial for the tight spaces.

john galt likes this.
post #34598 of 35058 Old 12-01-2019, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Weberman3
If you bought swivels and 1/4 extensions, I would get the Fuel 3/8s. There has only been like 1 time I wasn't really able to adapt my way out of it and needed to get a wrench. I have a hex impact driver, and I bought hex to square adapters. So its smaller than my big impact, but can do more than my ratchet. Plus I got all three adapters so I have 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2. They recently came out with a new 3/8 M12 stubby impact and it really packs a punch for its size.
john galt and mbsfield18 like this.

2004 F350 XLT 6.0L ZF6 CCSB
ARP Head Studs, EGR Delete, 4" Turboback, Fuel Sump, Coolant Filter, NUC Oil Bypass Filter
Kenwood DDX372BT with Rear View Camera, Rockford Fosgate P1683 speakers, Infinity REF1200 subwoofers
post #34599 of 35058 Old 12-01-2019, 10:23 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weberman3 View Post
My harbor freight one fits underneath a Fusion and will lift the F350 in the middle of the front axle to lift the tires off the ground at least 4 inches.
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-...ton+floor+jack
Thanks for the recommendation. I've got this sitting in the garage now. It is certainly the stoutest of the three ton jacks between HF and the parts stores.
john galt and mbsfield18 like this.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:

Good 6.0 Reading:
post #34600 of 35058 Old 12-01-2019, 10:27 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to backhoebill
My son has had the 3/8” stubby for a couple months now, and it rips lug nuts off the F250. My 1400lb hi-torque unit is as strong as my 3/4” Ingersoll 2145qi, and will get most things, even on my equipment. I agree about not having the fuel ratchet. I bought the standard M12 because it is more “petite”. Not as strong, but no regrets. It still can be tight, only showing that the fuel version wouldn’t work in some spots. Home Depot has a bunch of “buy this and get free this” deals, including some batteries for free. They usually have the best pricing, and are 10% off for vets. My 9amp batteries will run my large leaf blowers for over an hour straight.

'06 F250 4x4, 280,xxx hard miles, ARP studded and o-ringed, Bulletproof EGR cooler, IPR coolant filter, blue spring, CSF 6028 intercooler, KC S2R, 4" turbo back, SPD & Herc FICM tune, SCT Livewire, PI converter, occasional Archoil, Mobil 1 Synthetic, Cat elc, Warn bumper and 16.5 winch in front & aftermarket mystery bumper in rear, dent in floorboard under throttle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
fruit cake , is john galt a bunghole ? , maniacle mentions , multiquote mania , nnut job , over spray , peanut butter , post count , turbo farts , where is john galt? , whistling bungholes , who is john galt? , why is john galt ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode