Remote vs OEM oil filter with BPD oil cooler kit? - Page 7 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 203 Old 11-28-2015, 10:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DJ, I'm not trying to make this a Canada vs America thing. I only brought up the cold weather because I think that if the WIX filter is going to cause a problem because of it's specs, the problems that arise will look similar to the problems that arise when the OEM system bypasses more often in the cold weather up here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe blow View Post
Now by having a bypass filter installed alongside the bpd relocated filter, would it really make that much of a significant difference since it is a bypass and not a full flow filter system?

How long does it take to filter all 18+ quarts?
I think it does. That said, the oil would need to be at operating temp. Even without the cold weather bypass kit, the bypass filter will only flow about 10% of your total flow. If the oil is too cold and the pressure differential is reached, it too will bypass oil the same way the primary filter would.

At operating temp and 3300rpm, the engine is flowing 18.5 gpm. Doing the unit conversions, it means in theory the 10% bypass filtered your entire oil supply in 2 1.2 minutes at either 2 microns or 10 microns, depending on which setup you chose.

I say in theory because the moment the super-filtered oil goes back into the pan, it mixes with unfiltered oil. You will never get all the 20<32 micron sediment out of your pressurised oil path the way you would with your stock filter.

2005 F-350 ext. cab long box, FX4
EDGE Insite CTS w/ fuel pres, EGT, and rear diff temp
Blue Spring
BCP High Idle Mod
DS Bypass Coolant Filter
Rotella ELC
Rotella T6 5w-40 Synthetic
EGR Cooler Delete
Bulletproof Oil Cooler, Oil Filter, & Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter
268 000km/167 500 miles as of Jan. 1 2015.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Canadian Mind; 11-28-2015 at 10:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 203 Old 11-28-2015, 10:14 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,066 Times in 939 Posts
Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
... What would the purpose of this valve be?
I'm on my phone, but that should be the oil cooler bypass filter. Not relevant in a BPD system because it would take ping pong balls to clog it, but I'm sure that BPD saw the importance to match the form and function of the OEM system.

Quote:
... How long does it take to filter all 18+ quarts?
Pretty darn fast. At 18 GPM and assuming 5% bypass, the system should circulate an equivalent system volume through the bypass filtration in about five minutes. The issue is not knowing that it all goes through equally. ...but the high flowrate is certainly helping here.

Edited to add...
@CM beat me to it.

Edited again to add...
Quote:
DJ, I'm not trying to make this a Canada vs America thing...
I know. That was just me being funny. ...or failing at it.

I get exactly what you are saying, though. Any correlations or causalities related to cold weather should be elicited in a comparison between, say, your situation and mine. ...with climate being the primary factor.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLinkô LX, Autometer EGT

Last edited by djmaguire; 11-28-2015 at 10:23 PM.
post #63 of 203 Old 11-28-2015, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
I'm on my phone, but that should be the oil cooler bypass filter. Not relevant in a BPD system because it would take ping pong balls to clog it, but I'm sure that BPD saw the importance to match the form and function of the OEM system.

Pretty darn fast. At 18 GPM and assuming 5% bypass, the system should circulate an equivalent system volume through the bypass filtration in about five minutes. The issue is not knowing that it all goes through equally. ...but the high flowrate is certainly helping here.
Ah okay. I had wondered if it was a case where it dumped excess oil from the pump back into the pan so as to prevent flowing too much to the filter. The rational being that if the filter wasn't fed to much oil, it wouldn't bypass. Your explanation makes more sense though.

And none of the finely filtered oil ever enters the pressurised system. Every time the oil circulates new contaminants are added to the system. The way I see it is that the bypass is there to maintain an acceptable level of contaminants in the 1-32 micron range, not remove them from the oil entirely.

2005 F-350 ext. cab long box, FX4
EDGE Insite CTS w/ fuel pres, EGT, and rear diff temp
Blue Spring
BCP High Idle Mod
DS Bypass Coolant Filter
Rotella ELC
Rotella T6 5w-40 Synthetic
EGR Cooler Delete
Bulletproof Oil Cooler, Oil Filter, & Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter
268 000km/167 500 miles as of Jan. 1 2015.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 203 Old 11-29-2015, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Lots of good information!!

I am highly considering making my own kit for substantially cheaper. I can "t" right off the BPD oil cooler, purchase a return cap off ebay for 55.00 and make my own lines.

The only question I have, is what exact base do I need to accommodate a 2 micron filter needed for the kit?

If anyone can provide a link or advice that would be awesome.

Thanks
Joe

2004/Kill Devil O-ringed heads/Studs(finally)/Warren 175-30's/ADII/KC StageII/BPD everything/ODAWG S2R Ported Intake/CX racing IC/Gearhead Tunes/WPE RR...........FINALLY DONE and (still) NO LEAKS!

Joe

post #65 of 203 Old 11-29-2015, 08:22 AM
information regurgitator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
NUC Motorsports filterhead for bypass oil filters, $66 bucks. (if you intend to use the Amsoil filter)

Oil Bypass System, Stainless Steel Braided PTFE Lines, Parts and Accessories
323flint and djmaguire like this.

Please

You could save the life of a sick child
post #66 of 203 Old 11-29-2015, 12:48 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1617 Post(s)
Quote:
Now by having a bypass filter installed alongside the bpd relocated filter, would it really make that much of a significant difference since it is a bypass and not a full flow filter system?

18 minutes.

03 cclb dually,6.0,arp studs,bpd oil cooler,bpd 6 phase ficm,bpd water pump,bpd all aluminum cac,all aluminum radiator,amsoil bypass oil filter,ipr high flow coolant filter,egr delete,livewire ts tuned by Vivian & tony,php ficm tuner,dc power 300-spx,Detroit trutrac,6" dual side pipes,07 front end,custom front bumper,shaved badges,led button roof lights,08+ mirrors,12 tailgate,13 rear bumper,13 tail lights,dropped I beams,custom rear 4 link w/bags,k5la train horn,24" alcoa's.

post #67 of 203 Old 11-29-2015, 01:04 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,066 Times in 939 Posts
Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Quote:
... 2 1/2 minutes ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
... about five minutes. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by portcity_gt View Post
18 minutes.
...and there's your answer, @joe blow . Lol.

Confucius say, "A man with one watch always knows what time it is. ...but a man with two watches is never sure."
joe blow likes this.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLinkô LX, Autometer EGT
post #68 of 203 Old 11-29-2015, 01:09 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1617 Post(s)
The amsoil 2 micron filter is suggested to flow 1 quart per minute. ....you smart people are always over thinking things lol.
Canadian Mind and djmaguire like this.

03 cclb dually,6.0,arp studs,bpd oil cooler,bpd 6 phase ficm,bpd water pump,bpd all aluminum cac,all aluminum radiator,amsoil bypass oil filter,ipr high flow coolant filter,egr delete,livewire ts tuned by Vivian & tony,php ficm tuner,dc power 300-spx,Detroit trutrac,6" dual side pipes,07 front end,custom front bumper,shaved badges,led button roof lights,08+ mirrors,12 tailgate,13 rear bumper,13 tail lights,dropped I beams,custom rear 4 link w/bags,k5la train horn,24" alcoa's.

post #69 of 203 Old 11-29-2015, 01:50 PM

Definitely much less than I thought

2004/Kill Devil O-ringed heads/Studs(finally)/Warren 175-30's/ADII/KC StageII/BPD everything/ODAWG S2R Ported Intake/CX racing IC/Gearhead Tunes/WPE RR...........FINALLY DONE and (still) NO LEAKS!

Joe

post #70 of 203 Old 11-29-2015, 01:52 PM

Well just when I though I was done buying stuff.......
djmaguire likes this.

Joe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode