9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 11-08-2015, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Big air bubble in coolant system?

Hello everybody not sure where I should start but I replaced my thermostat yesterday and refilled the engine with distilled water and anti-freeze. I started it up earlier today to check for leaks about 10-15 minutes idle no problems coolant level good and no leaks. Then drove it about 30 highway miles to work any air bubbles that it may have had when I stopped to look at everything I wiggled the coolant reservoir couldn't see any movement thought I was low. So with coolant temp at 202F I opened the cap and a lot of coolant came out, if I had to guess about 4 gallons and with enough force to cover my hood. After that did the 30 miles back home coolant temps were normal and level stayed the same about 3/4 of the reservoir.

So would a big air bubble cause it to shoot out like it did and since most if not all of the coolant that I put in came out should I be worried? The truck has now been sitting for over an hour and the coolant level is about 1/2 of the reservoir.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
E̶a̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶2̶0̶0̶3̶ ̶6̶.̶0̶ ̶E̶x̶c̶u̶r̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶f̶u̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶b̶u̶l̶l̶e̶t̶p̶r̶o̶o̶f̶e̶d̶,̶ ̶1̶5̶5̶/̶3̶0̶ ̶i̶n̶j̶e̶c̶t̶o̶r̶s̶,̶ ̶K̶C̶ ̶S̶t̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶2̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶o̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶s̶t̶u̶f̶f̶.̶ Cummins swap in progress. Thanks to everyone on the forum I have learned a lot.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The EGR does to your engine what smoking does to your lungs.

Remember you can always improve on a design until the EPA gets involved.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-08-2015, 12:52 PM

Thanked 1,806 Times in 1,750 Posts
Mentioned: 697 Post(s)
Quoted: 3908 Post(s)
you spewed 4 gallons as you opened the cap slowly ??
post #3 of 15 Old 11-08-2015, 12:58 PM
I Like Shiny Things :)

Thanked 1,177 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 243 Post(s)
Quoted: 2643 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I doubt it was 4 gallons man, maybe 1 gallon.....4 gals is over half the capacity. And yeah a big air bubble will do just what you describe if you don't slowly open the cap to relieve the pressure

2017 F250 CCLB KR "Nighthawk" Edition.....goodies to come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 11-08-2015, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

I wouldn't say slowly but I turned it till I heard hissing then when it stopped I turned it the rest of the way and it bounced off my hood along with a bunch of my coolant like a fire hose for about 1 second. So if a air bubble did it how do I get it out?

E̶a̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶2̶0̶0̶3̶ ̶6̶.̶0̶ ̶E̶x̶c̶u̶r̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶f̶u̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶b̶u̶l̶l̶e̶t̶p̶r̶o̶o̶f̶e̶d̶,̶ ̶1̶5̶5̶/̶3̶0̶ ̶i̶n̶j̶e̶c̶t̶o̶r̶s̶,̶ ̶K̶C̶ ̶S̶t̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶2̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶o̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶s̶t̶u̶f̶f̶.̶ Cummins swap in progress. Thanks to everyone on the forum I have learned a lot.

post #5 of 15 Old 11-08-2015, 01:22 PM

Sounds like you already did
djmaguire likes this.

post #6 of 15 Old 11-08-2015, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk285 View Post
Sounds like you already did
Then why didn't my coolant level drop? I filled it to 1/2 then drove it, blew some out and it's still at 1/2.

post #7 of 15 Old 11-08-2015, 01:35 PM

The air escaped when you opened the cap and blew coolant everywhere.....might consider a new degas cap too while you're in the area, sounds like it wasn't relieving pressure very well
djmaguire likes this.

post #8 of 15 Old 11-08-2015, 01:41 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,042 Times in 938 Posts
Mentioned: 275 Post(s)
Quoted: 1586 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm guessing that you didn't lose nearly as much as it appeared. Spills are like that. The last beer that I spilled was like a million ounces.

Drive it for a bit. Let it cool. Release the pressure. Add coolant if necessary. Drive it more. Hard. Let it cool. Repeat as needed.

...and, for heaven's sake, don't ever do what you did again (without videotaping).

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLinkô LX, Autometer EGT
post #9 of 15 Old 11-08-2015, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
I'm guessing that you didn't lose nearly as much as it appeared. Spills are like that. The last beer that I spilled was like a million ounces.

Drive it for a bit. Let it cool. Release the pressure. Add coolant if necessary. Drive it more. Hard. Let it cool. Repeat as needed.

...and, for heaven's sake, don't ever do what you did again (without videotaping).
Okay and lol I wish I had recorded it because then I could post it saying what cause this.
djmaguire likes this.

post #10 of 15 Old 11-08-2015, 01:47 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Am I the only one that feels the athe OP is incredibly lucky to not have scalded himself. The do not open hot on the cap is no joke. That cap should have hissEd for a solid couple minutes to relieve pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode